Office of Lincoln Assembly Member Blair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:18:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Lincoln Assembly Member Blair
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of Lincoln Assembly Member Blair  (Read 653 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:43:24 AM »

Office of Assembly Member Blair (L-MA)

This space is reserved for press releases no-one will read, rambling posts about policies and the weekly argument about whatever matter is plaguing us all. Jokes aside I'm beyond happy to return to my former home, and beloved Lincoln (even if I still call it the Northeast). I'll be posting a couple of statements about what we have ahead of us in Lincoln. 
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

Announcements

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[quote]Road-Map Ahead

This is where it gets fun. I see the following five objectives as being key to the Assembly in the next term (and I'm aware that I'm breaking rule 1 of politics in writing down something I can be assessed with)

1.) A tied election Amendment: The recent senate election shows the need to have a clear solution to a future tied election. I'd want to consult with various officials before writing the amendment, as this is a crucial issue, but I envision adopting a similar provision to the federal constitution where a tied election leads to a run off the following week. I hope to have this issue resolved by this weekend.

2.) The Great Review: Despite the grand title this would be a review of all legislation that has been passed in Lincoln since the reset (which means going through 12+months) but this is a vital job, and something that I was suppose to do as Governor. We need to know what laws we've passed, what money we've spend and what issues we've tackled to work out just what we're suppose to do now.

3.) Health Care; I've already spoken with Senator Scott, and several others about healthcare plans for the Lincoln. Whilst I understand that we have a federal plan in place, which would automatically come in if we fail to pass anything by the end of 2017 I think it's crucial that we forge our own, unique health care legislation to protect the citizens of Lincoln.

4.) Budget: The continuing budget resolution ends in November; if necessary I would be open to passing an extension for a month or so that we can create a proper budget, but of course it would be much easier if we can get steps 2 and 3 done. The budget process will be difficult, but it should be a expansive, and open process that brings in as many citizens as possible. The Federal Budget is also being worked on,and this will be a crucial budget for the interests of Lincoln.

5.) Enjoy ourselves: Making policy, and taking part in Atlasia shouldn't be a chore. I want to echo the comments made by former Governor Mike Wells that we need to learn to have fun again; adopt certain causes, create campaigns, lobby for a certain bill, name an bridge or an airport. Let's learn how to enjoy ourselves folks

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:35 AM »

I'm trying to get into the habit of doing this twice a week, just to provide some updates and show what we're doing in Lincoln. (Although I'll avoid the awful Paul Ryan esque power-points)

We've managed to do the two main things I wanted to achieve in the first week; we've passed the budget extension, and also reached a conclusion with the tied election act. I'm still looking into what further action needs to be taken about the Electoral Tie Act, either at the federal or regional level.

I'm happy that we've had a quick start to the Assembly; and have managed to get some of the house keeping tasks out the way. My hope will be to start writing legislation, and creating the Lincoln Archive on the weekend (as I've got a fair amount of RL university work to do by Friday)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 04:08:06 PM »

Update

I've managed to go through all the laws passed since the reset in Lincoln (and the old North) and have created a long document of them; broken up my Assembly (1-8th session) and areas of policy. Hopefully I'll have them all set up tonight; and will be able to introduce some new bills in the next couple of days
Wells
MikeWells12
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:14:57 PM »

I've managed to go through all the laws passed since the reset in Lincoln (and the old North) and have created a long document of them; broken up my Assembly (1-8th session) and areas of policy.

That's great Blair! I always wanted to do that but was too lazy; kudos to you.

Though aren't the Old North laws unnecessary since the reset undid everything? If you are doing that though, then you might also include the Old Mideast laws as well.

Either way, this is a great thing.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 05:23:50 PM »

I've managed to go through all the laws passed since the reset in Lincoln (and the old North) and have created a long document of them; broken up my Assembly (1-8th session) and areas of policy.

That's great Blair! I always wanted to do that but was too lazy; kudos to you.

Though aren't the Old North laws unnecessary since the reset undid everything? If you are doing that though, then you might also include the Old Mideast laws as well.

Either way, this is a great thing.

We had about 2-3 months where the region was called the North (but it was still pre-reset) In your defense I said that I was going to do it when I ran for Governor in 2015, and never did get around to it.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »

First off congratulations on your appointment to the Supreme Court. I with you the best of luck in your hearing. As a side note will you be recusing yourself from voting in your confirmation hearing?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 06:17:29 PM »

It's an absolute delight to swear in to the Supreme Court as the Regional Justice for Lincoln. Ever since I joined the old Northeast back in 2015 I've always done by absolute best to serve Lincoln, and I'm more than happy to do that by serving in our courts. Whilst they're often ignored until election chaos emerges, I look forward to working with Chief Justice Windjammer and the other justices when necessary.

I'd like to thank Governor Lok for keeping faith in me and renominating me. I'd equally like to thank President Fhtagn for accepting my nomination, and for my fellow Assembly members for accepting my nomination. It's been a long journey, but I'm glad that Lincoln has now got a full team on the court.

Onto that subject, unless there is any major objections I plan to continue as Speaker until the end of the Assembly term, and of course I won't run for re-election. Whilst I know that I was skeptical of the ability to hold both offices, there isn't a constitutional ban on dual office holding, and the fact that both Yankee served as House Speaker and Justice, and Prime Minister Truman as Fremont PM and Attorney General demonstrates that the role of lawmaker and judiciary can go hand in hand if needed. I really can't see how it would happen (as it hasn't in the two years I've been here) but if a regional court case emerges based on an Assembly specific rule I would recuse myself, and pass the case to my colleagues on the court

I'm doing this because I think it would be good for the Assembly to have stability of the same speaker, and because I still want to get a couple of things done, including the budget and some reforms to the Assembly.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 06:28:33 PM »

Congratulations on your appointment and confirmation to be Justice! I think you'll do a fine job.

Unfortunately, I think the constitution does prohibit justices holding more than one office actually.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_VIII_of_the_Fourth_Constitution

"No person shall be elected to multiple offices under this Constitution, nor occupy the office of Justice or Associate Justice simultaneously with any other public office; but members of Congress shall be eligible to serve as the principal officers of such executive departments as may be established by law."
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:59:36 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 08:05:50 AM by Speaker Blair »

Congratulations on your appointment and confirmation to be Justice! I think you'll do a fine job.

Unfortunately, I think the constitution does prohibit justices holding more than one office actually.

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Article_VIII_of_the_Fourth_Constitution

"No person shall be elected to multiple offices under this Constitution, nor occupy the office of Justice or Associate Justice simultaneously with any other public office; but members of Congress shall be eligible to serve as the principal officers of such executive departments as may be established by law."

Strange. Was this added as an later constitutional amendment?

Looks like I'll be getting my P45 out.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 12:18:17 PM »

Strange. Was this added as an later constitutional amendment?

Looks like I'll be getting my P45 out.
No, that clause was always part of Article VIII; it's why Yankee had to resign from the House last fall after being appointed to the Court.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies