Will NOW Defend This Woman (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:10:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will NOW Defend This Woman (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will NOW Defend This Woman  (Read 7927 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 27, 2005, 04:53:46 PM »

John Brown was almost surely insane. Does anyone actually think he should not have gotten the death penalty?

Most murderers are insane.  It's a question of whether they can tell the difference between right and wrong, not whether they are insane or not.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 05:12:12 PM »

Dazzzleman, you're one of my favourite posters on a lot of things but I can't tell why you go after this issue so much.  I mean, it pisses me off too but it seems like half of your topics are about feminism.  Why is it such a huge issue to you?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 05:15:52 PM »

Dazzzleman, you're one of my favourite posters on a lot of things but I can't tell why you go after this issue so much.  I mean, it pisses me off too but it seems like half of your topics are about feminism.  Why is it such a huge issue to you?

Does in't it remind you of bandit and school uniforms?

Not really.  Bandit's paranoia is less justified.  I can understand why he feels this way, but not why it is such an ultra-important issue to him.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2005, 06:58:51 PM »

The atitudes of some "feminist" groups remind me of an Ed Helms quote - "Why do you insist on sexualizing vaginas?"
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2005, 07:00:52 PM »

If I was losing, my opponent in this argument would at least be making points instead of repeating stupid slogans like "you lose." Exceptions do not undermine a general rule in either case.

It's obvious that if you compare feminists to Nazis, you lose from Godwin's law.

Godwin's law makes no judgement on whether it is a good or bad thing that Godwin's law exists.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2005, 07:08:59 PM »

If I was losing, my opponent in this argument would at least be making points instead of repeating stupid slogans like "you lose." Exceptions do not undermine a general rule in either case.

It's obvious that if you compare feminists to Nazis, you lose from Godwin's law.

Godwin's law makes no judgement on whether it is a good or bad thing that Godwin's law exists.

How is that relevant?

Because you are implying that Godwin's law makes what he says worth not replying to; this is blatantly untrue.  You are apparently saying that his point is moot because it is predicted by Godwin's law.  Since when does a predictable reply mean you do not have to respond to it?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2005, 07:13:34 PM »

How is that relevant?

Because you are implying that Godwin's law makes what he says worth not replying to; this is blatantly untrue.  You are apparently saying that his point is moot because it is predicted by Godwin's law.  Since when does a predictable reply mean you do not have to respond to it?

I don't think that Godwin predicted that dazzleman would compare feminists to Nazis.

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1 (i.e. certainty)."

He did, more or less.

But the point is, what does Godwin's Law have to do with his comment, and how does it make it any less valid?

EDIT:  I am, by the way, not arguing that it is valid.  I am just arguing that Godwin's Law is irrelevant to its validity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies