What the hell happened in Washington county, AR?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:57:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What the hell happened in Washington county, AR?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What the hell happened in Washington county, AR?  (Read 887 times)
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2017, 09:09:14 PM »

trump won it 50-40. Romney won it 56-40

was this the remnant of her being a AR moderate?
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 09:19:14 PM »

It's a college town.  Even though millennials swung to Trump, the college educated vote and certainly the career academics in the county did not.
Hydera

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »

Washington county is pretty suburban. Which explains why it swung to her. College educated/higher income suburbanites even in Arkansas didnt like Trump as much as they did with Romney or McCain.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 11:23:51 PM »

This clearly had nothing to do with Hillary she didn't gain votes, Trump just lost them. He was unpalatable to certain segments of Republicans, and they voted third party.
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 08:51:10 AM »

I'm also wondering about the Walmart effect, since Bentonville is in the county immediately to the north.

A lot of companies do a lot of business with Walmart, and it pays for those companies to have representatives close at hand.  It may not be a huge number of people, but I suspect there are a decent number of vendors living in Northwest Arkansas whose origins are from across the country and around the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if that affects the local culture.

The urbane-ization of the Norfolk area seems to be affecting that region's politics, and something similar may be happening in NW AR on a smaller scale.

Arkansas Yankee
United States
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »

I'm also wondering about the Walmart effect, since Bentonville is in the county immediately to the north.

A lot of companies do a lot of business with Walmart, and it pays for those companies to have representatives close at hand.  It may not be a huge number of people, but I suspect there are a decent number of vendors living in Northwest Arkansas whose origins are from across the country and around the world, and I wouldn't be surprised if that affects the local culture.

The urbane-ization of the Norfolk area seems to be affecting that region's politics, and something similar may be happening in NW AR on a smaller scale.

It is my understanding Walmart insists all vendors have representatives living in the area.

As a generally prosperous area, it also attracts large numbers of Hispanics.

Northwest Arkansas and Hot Springs are the only areas in the State that have a significant attraction to out of staters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies