Which Hillary states would Rubio have won?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:07:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Which Hillary states would Rubio have won?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Which Hillary states would Rubio have won?  (Read 8941 times)
Arbitrage1980
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2017, 04:13:33 AM »

If he had been the GOP nominee, Rubio would have outperformed Trump with college whites but underperformed with working class whites. Rubio could have won NH, VA, MN, CO, NV. He would have kept OH and IA, albeit his margin would have been smaller than Trump's. PA is a wild card; Rubio would have crushed it in the philly suburbs by winning Bucks and Chester counties but would have fallen behind Trump in the working class areas. He almost certainly would have lost MI and WI.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 05:00:04 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 05:05:45 AM by RFKFan68 »

This is how I imagine a Rubio victory:

New Hampshire and Virginia are the only ones he would have flipped. I think stuff like the Access Hollywood tape cost Trump NH. Rubio clearly would have been disciplined enough to win there. Virginia would have been the tipping point state with a thin MOV for Rubio. A lot of the NOVA transients are Lean D but I think he could have done exceedingly well to overcome this. Since NOVA is usually the last part of the state to dump votes this (and Pennsylvania) keeps America up all night.

Colorado and Nevada would have been possible but I don't think he would have flipped it.

Hillary got the margins she needed in Philadelphia. Rubio would have undoubtedly did better than Trump in the suburbs but I don't think Hillary would have bled as much support as she did in Western PA, Luzerne, and Lackawanna with Rubio as her opponent. She wins PA by the same margin Trump did.

Hillary would have still had depressed turnout in Milwaukee and Detroit, but Rubio would not have mobilized the rural whites here like Trump did. Obama fatigue, Clinton scandals, and the state's shift to the right still keeps it too close for comfort. She wins Wisconsin by less than 1 percent and Michigan by 1.5.
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 07:11:57 AM »

I doubt he wins Virginia though he could very likely win back New Hampshire.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 08:58:58 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 09:58:32 AM by L.D. Smith, Aggie! It's Real Expenses Again »

Nevada and Colorado

He'd have lost Pennsylvania and Michigan though.

twenty42
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 09:47:35 AM »

Nevada, Colorado, and Wisconsin.

He'd have lost Pennsylvania and Michigan though.

Trump won WI.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »

...Whoops, brain fart.

I keep looking at the map like it's all still going on sometimes.

Anyway, Rubio gains in the West, keeps Trump's Wisconsin, but wins more on a Pat Tumor or Ron Johnson esque strategy.

He does worse in New Hampshire, and barely loses Virginia

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 10:08:09 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 10:09:47 AM by Solid4096 »

Loses WI, and ME-02; gains VA, NH, CO, NV, and NPV.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »

Loses WI, and ME-02; gains VA, NH, CO, NV, and NPV.

Rubio is not flipping MI. I say he flips both WI and MN.

In fact, I see MI voting to the left of NM.
JonHawk
JHawk
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 11:00:33 AM »

Honestly i don't see him winning any Hilary states, although maybe a coin toss with NH.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:07:45 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 02:16:23 PM »

MN was only close because of Trump. Trump actually did quite well in Nevada, OTOH Rubio will do better with Hispanics. NH maybe, though he could lose it with less WWC support than Trump. VA is possible, a very winnable state for Rubio, though it partially depends on Hillary's VP pick. CO was the tipping-point state in 2012 and Rubio will do well with college-educated whites and Hispanics so he would win it. PA was tied for the tipping-point state, if Rubio does well enough in the suburbs he can win it. MI is lost. WI is tough but perhaps if Hillary goes down in a bigger loss he can take it.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 02:21:08 PM »

Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 02:31:16 PM »

If Romney couldn't win Virginia in 2012, I don't think Rubio would've been able to either. NoVa was probably going to trend Democratic regardless of who the Republican nominee was.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »

Nevada, New Mexico, Colorado, Minnesota, New Hampshire, and Virginia.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 03:27:11 PM »

Rubio would have won every state trump won.

Why would a white rural person vote for trump vs hillary, but vote for hillary vs rubio?
mgop
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »

Why would a white rural person vote for trump vs hillary, but vote for hillary vs rubio?

they would not vote for hillary but many would stay at home rather than vote for rubio
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 04:01:51 PM »

If Romney couldn't win Virginia in 2012, I don't think Rubio would've been able to either. NoVa was probably going to trend Democratic regardless of who the Republican nominee was.

Romney lost VA by 3.9% to a very popular incumbent President. Romney's social conservatism didn't play too well in NOVA either. He lost Fairfax County by 20.5% and traditional GOP stronghold Loudoun County by 5.5%. Rubio would have won Loudoun outright and lost Fairfax by 10-15%, which should be enough to carry the state. Keep in mind that in 2004 Bush won VA by 8.2% despite losing Fairfax by 7.2%.

Rubio resonates well in NOVA. He won that region handily against Trump in the GOP primary and his latino background, life story, youth, charisma, and pro-business policies are very much in line with NOVA.

Arbitrage1980
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »

It's about turnout and margin. The white working class had a massive turnout, and Trump won them by a whopping 39 points, a bigger margin than even Reagan 1984.
Arbitrage1980
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 04:04:33 PM »

Rubio would have easily won the national popular vote as well by losing CA by 15-20% instead of Trump's 30, losing IL by 10-15%, and winning TX by around 15%, GA by 8-10%, FL by 4-6%.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 04:26:43 PM »

Maybe NH, MN, NV.

CO or VA? No.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »

I'm doubtful Rubio would have won ME-2 or at least done as well there as it was the kind of district Romney lost by a  little ND Trump picked up with the Obama-Trump voters.
uti2

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:02 PM »

Rubio would have easily won the national popular vote as well by losing CA by 15-20% instead of Trump's 30, losing IL by 10-15%, and winning TX by around 15%, GA by 8-10%, FL by 4-6%.

Rubio was consistently tied in FL polling from day 1 vs. Hillary, while he was always up ~7 on murphy:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_rubio_vs_clinton-3553.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/fl/florida_senate_rubio_vs_murphy-5222.html

Senate race =/ presidential.
uti2

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2017, 07:06:39 PM »

Romney lost VA by 3.9% to a very popular incumbent President. Romney's social conservatism didn't play too well in NOVA either. He lost Fairfax County by 20.5% and traditional GOP stronghold Loudoun County by 5.5%. Rubio would have won Loudoun outright and lost Fairfax by 10-15%, which should be enough to carry the state. Keep in mind that in 2004 Bush won VA by 8.2% despite losing Fairfax by 7.2%.

Rubio resonates well in NOVA. He won that region handily against Trump in the GOP primary and his latino background, life story, youth, charisma, and pro-business policies are very much in line with NOVA.

Rubio is more socially conservative than romney & the only reason why rubio did better than expected in VA primary was due to government worker Dem voters in Fairfax crossing over to vote for him to 'stop Trump', he doesn't necessarily have appeal in that region, they just wanted to 'Stop Trump'. This was widely reported in contemporary news stories.

Trump won every other VA county by 10%+ meeting the polling average, only reason Fairfax numbers were off was due to the dem crossovers. There were articles like this in the atlantic:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/why-liberals-should-vote-for-marco-rubio/471444/

+
http://www.fairfaxtimes.com/articles/clinton-trump-win-virginia-overall-rubio-wins-in-fairfax-county/article_4412522c-e031-11e5-88c2-6bdb7adf8580.html

Dukakis also was an immigrant with a life story, youth and 'charisma', how did he do?
uti2

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2017, 07:47:35 PM »

More links on the D government workers in Fairfax and their strategic voting pattern:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/01/liberals-explain-why-theyre-strategically-voting-as-republicans/

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Virginia-Election-Results-370707361.html
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »

Rubio was consistently tied in FL polling from day 1 vs. Hillary, while he was always up ~7 on murphy:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/fl/florida_rubio_vs_clinton-3553.html

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/senate/fl/florida_senate_rubio_vs_murphy-5222.html

Senate race =/ presidential.

Hillary led Trump in Florida and nationwide by a large margin during the campaign but because she was very unpopular and ran a terrible campaign(not because Trump was popular!), she lost Florida and the election.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies