Lincoln 8.7.3: Electoral Fairness and Chaos Prevention Act (signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 16, 2024, 04:58:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Lincoln 8.7.3: Electoral Fairness and Chaos Prevention Act (signed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Lincoln 8.7.3: Electoral Fairness and Chaos Prevention Act (signed)  (Read 1231 times)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2017, 08:06:19 AM »
« edited: November 01, 2017, 04:07:59 PM by Speaker Blair »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor Blair
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 08:15:56 AM »

This was the bill that both R2D2 and Ciync have agreed on after the special election tie that occurred. I'd perhaps want to change the name of the bill (so that it's clearer for future players what the bill was doing) and of course.

We need to decide whether other candidates should be able to enter the special election in the event of a tie; I'd be minded to limit it to the tied candidates (meaning that in the unlikely event of a 3 way tie) they'd still be able to enter, but we wouldn't have more candidates entering the race.

I'm also aware that time is a pressing issue with this bill
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -6.09

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 11:26:36 AM »

As I've stated in the assembly thread, I supported the changes Cynic proposed, and it will clear up any election mishaps in the future. As such, I will also support the bill.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »

Cinyc and I agreed to add the following provision, which should be stricken from the bill once this is passed and signed:

Senator R2D2 and I think that we need to add another clause to the bill for this election, since we won’t meet the 3 or 7 day deadline before this is passed:

IX. In the October, 2017 election, tied candidates shall have until one (1) day after the passage of this bill to decide whether to hold a special election to break a tie or split the term of the office they are contending for.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 03:10:27 PM »

I've put in the amendment; I knew I'd miss something as there were several versions of the bill.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 04:53:03 PM »

The Assembly needs to define whether the special election should be a runoff with the tied candidates only or a totally new election where anyone can run.
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

The Assembly needs to define whether the special election should be a runoff with the tied candidates only or a totally new election where anyone can run.

I would like to define the "Special Election" as a rematch between ONLY the top two candidates who had acquired an equal amount of votes. No other candidates can declare their candidacy for the special election, and for the sake of making the election decisive, no write-in candidates are allowed.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 08:53:33 PM »

I would like to define the "Special Election" as a rematch between ONLY the top two candidates who had acquired an equal amount of votes. No other candidates can declare their candidacy for the special election, and for the sake of making the election decisive, no write-in candidates are allowed.

This may be a good solution, but I personally think that if an election ends in a tie, and the tied candidates just have to have rematches until someone forgets to vote...that might get tedious.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:54:22 PM »

I do apologize if this intrusion is not welcome, but as the sitting Attorney General, I feel I ought to inform the Assembly that Section 1 of this bill stands in violation of the Voting Rights Amendment to the federal Constitution and is very likely unconstitutional by that fact.

Quote from: Restricted

In other words, two incomplete posts ≠ one complete ballot, even if the citizen votes for each office only once. Unless it is the position of the Assembly that the Region is not subject to the provisions of the Bill of Rights, it would appear they are without power to authorize voters to make multiple valid posts in the voting booth. Might I suggest, as a constitutional alternative, that voters be allowed to delete incomplete ballots without penalty if they decide they wish to complete their ballot before the end of an election?
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 09:26:27 PM »

This may be a good solution, but I personally think that if an election ends in a tie, and the tied candidates just have to have rematches until someone forgets to vote...that might get tedious.

I thought somebody said before if the SE comes to a tie, then the candidates should be required to split the term. If not, I'm fine with adding that to the definition.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:01:38 PM »

Might I suggest, as a constitutional alternative, that voters be allowed to delete incomplete ballots without penalty if they decide they wish to complete their ballot before the end of an election?

This is okay with me
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:10:30 PM »

Might I suggest, as a constitutional alternative, that voters be allowed to delete incomplete ballots without penalty if they decide they wish to complete their ballot before the end of an election?

This is okay with me
"
The issue with that is that it potentially conflicts with Article V, Section 2 of Lincoln Constitution, which states: "Voters shall be permitted to edit their ballots until 20 minutes after posting them in the voting booth. No voter shall edit their ballot after the official end of the voting period."

So we might need a constitutional amendment allowing edits after 20 minutes.
Fmr. Representative Encke
Encke
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 11:52:52 PM »

This is okay with me
"
The issue with that is that it potentially conflicts with Article V, Section 2 of Lincoln Constitution, which states: "Voters shall be permitted to edit their ballots until 20 minutes after posting them in the voting booth. No voter shall edit their ballot after the official end of the voting period."

So we might need a constitutional amendment allowing edits after 20 minutes.

Why not just remove that portion from the legislation? Is it too much to ask that people review their ballot carefully before posting?
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 12:08:19 AM »

I concur with Encke, I don't see the necessity of Section 1.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 05:06:09 AM »

Yeah as practical as Truman's alternative seems, it would be dangerous to allow people to delete ballots, even if they are incomplete.

Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 05:45:09 AM »

As sponsor I offer the following amendment.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:00 AM »

Fair enough
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »

I do think that the issue of posting separate ballots should be dealt with; it would just prove difficult to do so only in Lincoln, and on such a short time scale
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 03:36:54 PM »

I do think that the issue of posting separate ballots should be dealt with; it would just prove difficult to do so only in Lincoln, and on such a short time scale

Noted. I don't think it's something that I will pursue strongly enough--or that voters will support enough--to introduce in the Senate, but I'll see what my colleagues think.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 05:52:24 PM »

I'm currently planning on bringing this to a final vote in the morning (UK time) as it allows for any further debate/ideas to happen overnight, but it appears that everyone is on board with this version.

Hopefully we can get the bill signed, and sorted by Wednesday at the latest.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »

I'm currently planning on bringing this to a final vote in the morning (UK time) as it allows for any further debate/ideas to happen overnight, but it appears that everyone is on board with this version.

Hopefully we can get the bill signed, and sorted by Wednesday at the latest.

Let's get a vote on this.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 02:08:57 PM »

Apologies was suppose to open the vote on my lunch break on campus but slipped my mind.

The final vote is now open on this bill.

Aye
RC
ReaganClinton20XX
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »

Aye
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 05:35:23 PM »

As the current chamber is only made up of us two this bill has been passed, and will be sent to the Governors Office to sign. 
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 06:20:53 PM »

Signed.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length