New Zealand 2017: Maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  New Zealand 2017: Maps
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Zealand 2017: Maps  (Read 2129 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:57:36 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:46:09 PM »

Does New Zealand have any unusual voting patterns that would differ from say, Canada or Australia?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:09:09 PM »

It isn't as if Canadian and Australian voting patterns have much in common?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »

It isn't as if Canadian and Australian voting patterns have much in common?

Um...

I guess I'm asking, is what is unusual about NZ voting patterns compared to the rest of the western world. Countries all have their own little quirks.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »

I may be imaging things here, but is that east-west divide on the North Islands usually a "thing"?

I can undesrtand why the left would do well in BoP/Gisborne/Hawke's Bay, bu why would Wairarapa be voting to the left of Taranaki and Waikato?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 06:10:19 PM »

Here is an interactive mapping the results in every voting booth in NZ. It also shows the swings from 2014.
https://thespinoff.co.nz/politics/27-09-2017/interactive-mapping-every-booths-votes-from-the-2017-general-election/
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 07:27:15 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 07:29:06 PM by Tetro Kornbluth »

I like how the Labour vote nearly quadrupled on Stewart Island from 2014.

EDIT: Same on the Chatham Islands #actually.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 09:22:36 PM »

I think he means like urban vs. rural and by and large New Zealand does follow that as rural areas do tend to favour National while Labour tends to dominate most urban areas although Auckland seems split evenly with National dominating the north side (I presume this is the more affluent area) and Labour dominating the south side (I presume this is more working class).
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 09:29:38 PM »

Why is it that the west coast of the South Island is represented by a Labour MP, when the rest of the island (with the exception of urban areas like Christchurch) is dominated by the National Party?   Is the Maori population largely clustered there, or is there another explanation?  
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 10:05:06 PM »

Why is it that the west coast of the South Island is represented by a Labour MP, when the rest of the island (with the exception of urban areas like Christchurch) is dominated by the National Party?

Enough small industrial towns with long Labour heritages, basically. Particularly important (electorally) is the coalfield around the Grey and Buller rivers; Westport especially is very Labour.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 10:18:14 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2017, 10:25:28 PM by Tintrlvr »

Why is it that the west coast of the South Island is represented by a Labour MP, when the rest of the island (with the exception of urban areas like Christchurch) is dominated by the National Party?   Is the Maori population largely clustered there, or is there another explanation?  

Al gave an explanation of the phenomenon (though I'd add ecotourism to the causes of the left-wing orientation on the west coast of the South Island), but, for the record, the vast majority of Maori live on the North Island.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 10:20:33 PM »

I may be imaging things here, but is that east-west divide on the North Islands usually a "thing"?

Yes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The countryside on the western side of the island is ridiculously fertile; this is one of the main centres of dairy farming in New Zealand and is pretty prosperous. Wairarapa is sheep farming and various dull provincial towns that have not done well out of the New New Zealand at all.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 04:29:51 AM »

NZ First seems to be mostly a North Island party. Is it because the Maori are predominantly there, or other reasons ?
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 09:06:41 PM »

NZ First seems to be mostly a North Island party. Is it because the Maori are predominantly there, or other reasons ?

Large numbers of immigrants go to Auckland compared to the rest of the country. There is probably some Māori link though. NZ First does have a decent Māori following. Not sure if those are all the reasons, but they definitely contribute, I'd say.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »

But the Maori vote in their own constituencies so they shouldn't affect the "main" constituencies right?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »

Winston Peters is a North Island politician and the political traditional that NZFirst really belongs to - that of the quirky populist centre - has generally been strongest in the rural parts of North Island.

But the Maori vote in their own constituencies so they shouldn't affect the "main" constituencies right?

They can chose to register on either roll. About 40% of Māori voters are on the general electoral roll; this is one big reason why the electorate of East Coast has a good Labour vote.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »

It strikes me the Coromandel is surprisingly right wing given the hippie/arty reputation. They must actually make up a pretty small proportion of the overall population
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies