Attack in NYC, multiple dead (MSNBC)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:00:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Attack in NYC, multiple dead (MSNBC)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Attack in NYC, multiple dead (MSNBC)  (Read 4913 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2017, 03:09:56 PM »

On the tube right now. Multiple dead per MSNBC. Gun and car attack by the sound of it.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 03:16:13 PM »

These events are really starting to get on my nerves. Don't hurt anybody else because your life isn't where you want it to be.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »

Six dead, 11 injured per NYT report. Truck was a rented Home Depot truck. Bomb squad reportedly on scene

https://nyti.ms/2iPvM5M
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

These events are really starting to get on my nerves. Don't hurt anybody else because your life isn't where you want it to be.
They're losers. Every time. They're always ex petty criminals who still can't get ahead in civil society.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »

I blame the media for hyping them.

A hundred Americans die every day on our roads, but that gets no major coverage and hardly anyone cares.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 03:28:09 PM »

I think we can all agree that the people who commit this kind of act are the true deplorables.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 03:28:57 PM »

Horrible.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 03:29:46 PM »

I blame the media for hyping them.

A hundred Americans die every day on our roads, but that gets no major coverage and hardly anyone cares.
Yes, because random accidents are random accidents. They don't involve plotting and can't be found out beforehand by authorities. Are you so densely hackish that you are willing to live with avoidable actions just to "stick it" to perceived bigots? Are you literally this horrible?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »

They're losers. Every time. They're always ex petty criminals who still can't get ahead in civil society.

What's sad is each new occurrence will probably just encourage more losers to become copycats. Sad  I still don't understand why we ever allow these people's faces to reach live TV ... we don't cover bridge suicides for a very specific reason, and while it's unrealistic to not cover this type of event, there is no reason to broadcast the identity of the murderer.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 03:36:20 PM »

Takes a real piece of s**t person to do this sort of thing.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:44:32 PM »

What's sad is each new occurrence will probably just encourage more losers to become copycats. Sad  I still don't understand why we ever allow these people's faces to reach live TV ... we don't cover bridge suicides for a very specific reason, and while it's unrealistic to not cover this type of event, there is no reason to broadcast the identity of the murderer.

Well said.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 03:46:30 PM »

Attacker was apparently attacking children riding home from school and might have rammed a school bus.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 03:50:08 PM »

The guns the driver had were fake?
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »

I think we can all agree that the people who commit this kind of act are the true deplorables.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 04:10:31 PM »

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 04:16:58 PM »

I know this is horrible, but in situations like these, I often kind of feel sorry for the attacker and his family more than I feel sorry for the victims. The attacker is probably a disturbed young man who became radicalized trying to fill an emotional hole in his life. Dylann Roof, Omar Mateen... what tragedies their lives were. We all should reach out to the troubled young men in our lives and try to lead them away from a life of hatred and violence.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:23:22 PM »

I know this is horrible, but in situations like these, I often kind of feel sorry for the attacker and his family more than I feel sorry for the victims. The attacker is probably a disturbed young man who became radicalized trying to fill an emotional hole in his life. Dylann Roof, Omar Mateen... what tragedies their lives were. We all should reach out to the troubled young men in our lives and try to lead them away from a life of hatred and violence.

You can sympathize with people that have emotional and psychological issues without feeling bad for those who acted on them and killed people because of them.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 04:25:38 PM »

Attacker apparently shouted "Allahu Akbar" after jumping out of rental truck used to mow down civilians. I'm sure ISIS will claim responsibility even if they weren't actually behind it. Praying for the families of the victims Sad.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 04:37:59 PM »

Attacker was apparently attacking children riding home from school and might have rammed a school bus.
This has since unraveled, though children on a school bus were indeed injured.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 04:54:00 PM »

I know I'm probably wasting my time, But try to keep this thread on topic and civil.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2017, 04:57:52 PM »

Plenty of people have emotional holes in their lives and don’t do this.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 05:00:01 PM »

Events like this are ing horrible (as always) and anyone who wants to exploit such events for political gain or scoring points of some sort is ing horrible (as always).
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 05:01:20 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2017, 05:03:33 PM by Ronnie »

I hate to ask this question, and it truly is just a question, but could the fact that a society constantly produces men who are willing to commit these actions reveal something problematic about the society itself?  These events are becoming too horrifyingly routine for us to just say that these are awful dudes, and leave it there.  
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 05:03:30 PM »

I hate to ask this question, and it truly is just a question, but could the fact that a society constantly produces men that are willing to commit these actions reveal something problematic about the society itself?  These events are becoming too horrifyingly routine for us to just say that these are awful dudes, and leave it there.  

It's almost as if they are perhaps radicalized by a certain ideology...
Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 05:05:53 PM »

I hate to ask this question, and it truly is just a question, but could the fact that a society constantly produces men that are willing to commit these actions reveal something problematic about the society itself?  These events are becoming too horrifyingly routine for us to just say that these are awful dudes, and leave it there.  

It's almost as if they are perhaps radicalized by a certain ideology...

Perhaps, but as we've seen, there isn't just one ideology out there, and radicalization doesn't happen in a vacuum.  And I don't know if it's accurate to say that all of these attacks are ideologically driven.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies