ArsTechnica | Breitbart, other conservative outlets escalate anti-SpaceX campaig
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:41:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  ArsTechnica | Breitbart, other conservative outlets escalate anti-SpaceX campaig
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ArsTechnica | Breitbart, other conservative outlets escalate anti-SpaceX campaig  (Read 516 times)
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/11/breitbart-other-conservative-outlets-escalate-anti-spacex-campaign/

Gist of the article is that BB, FN, WT, etc. mistakenly attribute the attachment of Sec. 1615 to the NDAA to John McCain (who received campaign contributions from SpaceX founder Musk).

Sec. 1615 restricts the funds used, "allowing funds to only be spent on engine development, the interface between a new engine (i.e., AR1) and an existing launch vehicle (i.e., Atlas V)." Thus, it's more difficult to develop any other parts of a rocket engine. It's this that has raised the ire of ULA, a joint venture between BA and LMT.

The kicker is that Sec. 1615 was actually inserted into the House version of the NDAA by Mike Rogers at the suggestion of Aerojet, which happens to operate a plant in Rogers's district. And it all gains outsize relevance due to phasing out of Russian-made rockets from the US arsenal, which would leave SpaceX as the only option for rockets capable of reaching space over the next few years.

Thoughts?
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:12 PM »

I hate the alt right, Elon Musk is putting the USA on the cutting edge of innovation. No one can stop the robotics revolution.
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 05:32:21 PM »

I hate the alt right, Elon Musk is putting the USA on the cutting edge of innovation. No one can stop the robotics* revolution.

*Add the renewable energy revolution too.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:53:29 PM »

I hate the alt right, Elon Musk is putting the USA on the cutting edge of innovation. No one can stop the robotics* revolution.

*Add the renewable energy revolution too.

exactly. Power of the free market.

If it was up to the alt right we'd still be living circa 1850
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 11:31:35 AM »
« Edited: November 02, 2017, 11:40:25 AM by Vice President PiT »

Elon Musk has his share of impractical pipe dreams in his wheelhouse (e.g. Hyperloop) and that colors my opinion of him, but SpaceX is a perfectly fine idea. The merits of the venture aside, reporting incorrect facts is always a bad thing.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies