2000: Sam Nunn/Tom Harkin vs Tom Ridge/Tommy Thompson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:36:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  2000: Sam Nunn/Tom Harkin vs Tom Ridge/Tommy Thompson
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2000: Sam Nunn/Tom Harkin vs Tom Ridge/Tommy Thompson  (Read 405 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2017, 03:53:50 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 03:58:24 PM »

Don't think Ridge would win New Jersey or Michigan.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:22:05 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

I'd actually flip those numbers. I think Nunn wins because given it's a pro-choice Northern Republican vs a pro-life Southern Democrat, I think Nunn would sweep the South which would give him a victory in the electoral college. If we take your map, I would flip Vermont, Maine, Illinois, Delaware and California to the GOP and Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Texas to the Democrats, which should give Nunn a 285-253 Electoral College victory. I actually think the map would look very similar to the one of 1976 rather than the 2000 IRL map.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

I'd actually flip those numbers. I think Nunn wins because given it's a pro-choice Northern Republican vs a pro-life Southern Democrat, I think Nunn would sweep the South which would give him a victory in the electoral college. If we take your map, I would flip Vermont, Maine, Illinois, Delaware and California to the GOP and Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi and Texas to the Democrats, which should give Nunn a 285-253 Electoral College victory. I actually think the map would look very similar to the one of 1976 rather than the 2000 IRL map.

Ford won VA in 1976 and  lost MS , TX,FL by less than 5 points so I think Ridge wins those states due to the fact that the gop was much stronger at the state level in those states in 2000 than in 1976. North Carolina I believe was a GOP stronghold in 2000 so I think that NC goes GOP as well. The only southern states Clinton lost I see Nunn winning is AL,SC and those states would be tossups.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

Ford won VA in 1976 and  lost MS , TX,FL by less than 5 points so I think Ridge wins those states due to the fact that the gop was much stronger at the state level in those states in 2000 than in 1976. North Carolina I believe was a GOP stronghold in 2000 so I think that NC goes GOP as well. The only southern states Clinton lost I see Nunn winning is AL,SC and those states would be tossups.

Right having looked at the margins of victory I take back what I said on California, Illinois and Texas, they stay in their IRL camps, but I think most of the South votes GOP out of social conservatism and Ridge was more socially liberal than Nunn so I see Nunn flipping a lot of states in the South so I think Nunn still wins.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 04:40:02 PM »

The GOP wasn't nominating a pro-choice candidate like Tom Ridge for President.

Democrats, meanwhile probably weren't going to nominate a pro-life candidate like Sam Nunn for President either (though culture wars weren't as huge for them in 2000 as they were for the GOP).

It's more likely that either the tickets would be reversed, or Ridge/Nunn would not be on their parties respective tickets in the first place.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

Ford won VA in 1976 and  lost MS , TX,FL by less than 5 points so I think Ridge wins those states due to the fact that the gop was much stronger at the state level in those states in 2000 than in 1976. North Carolina I believe was a GOP stronghold in 2000 so I think that NC goes GOP as well. The only southern states Clinton lost I see Nunn winning is AL,SC and those states would be tossups.

Right having looked at the margins of victory I take back what I said on California, Illinois and Texas, they stay in their IRL camps, but I think most of the South votes GOP out of social conservatism and Ridge was more socially liberal than Nunn so I see Nunn flipping a lot of states in the South so I think Nunn still wins.

Say you give Nunn MS, AL, SC, and NC that puts Nunn at 289 electoral votes and in my opinion trying to win all 4 of those states probably would cause him to lose other close states such as WA,ME, and MN as well thus giving Ridge the Victory .

For Nunn to win he will need to win FL which I dont think he can do since FL is more GOP in my opinion due to  National Security Conservatism which would give Ridge the advantage.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 07:18:19 PM »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

Say you give Nunn MS, AL, SC, and NC that puts Nunn at 289 electoral votes and in my opinion trying to win all 4 of those states probably would cause him to lose other close states such as WA,ME, and MN as well thus giving Ridge the Victory .

For Nunn to win he will need to win FL which I dont think he can do since FL is more GOP in my opinion due to  National Security Conservatism which would give Ridge the advantage.

For the last paragraph, this was before 9/11, so I don't think National Security plays much of a role, thus Ridge isn't a good fit for Florida and Nunn wins it. Plus Nunn was strong on National Security too.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Tom Ridge, but I'm giving the results I think would of happened, not what I want to think would of happened.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2017, 07:40:09 PM by Old School Republican »

Who wins with what map

This is what I think:

Ridge/Thompson 287
Nunn/Harkin 251

For Nunn to win he will need to win FL which I dont think he can do since FL is more GOP in my opinion due to  National Security Conservatism which would give Ridge the advantage.

For the last paragraph, this was before 9/11, so I don't think National Security plays much of a role, thus Ridge isn't a good fit for Florida and Nunn wins it. Plus Nunn was strong on National Security too.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Tom Ridge, but I'm giving the results I think would of happened, not what I want to think would of happened.

That  is also true , so in that case Florida is super close just like in OTL, and who ever wins gets to 270.
In my opinion the reason FL was really close in OTL was due to the social security issue , and ridge being more moderate than Bush means that issue probably doesn't hurt him as much . I think any gains Nunn makes in the panhandle gets offseated by ridge gains in Miami-Dade and the other south east countries.
So the state is a pure tossup and whoever wins gets to 270

Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 09:08:43 PM »

271-267

Nader costs Sen. Nunn Washington, Oregon, Minnesota, and Wisconsin, while Pat Buchanan's independent bid costs Gov. Ridge Virginia, Florida, and Mississippi.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies