S.17.5-4: FAST Act (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:11:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.17.5-4: FAST Act (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.17.5-4: FAST Act (Statute)  (Read 1134 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
« edited: November 13, 2017, 10:30:00 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Mr. Reactionary
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 05:58:03 PM »

Summary:

The goal of this bill is to amend unnecessary traffic rules and limits on private cars.

Section 1 is the acronym name.

Section 2 raises the max speed limit of 80 on non-federal highways.

Section 3 permits brief speeding while passing.

Section 4 presumption of right on red.

Section 5 requires legislative approval for localities to use red light cameras.

Section 6 lets Virginia join the other 49 States which allow radar detectors in cars.

Section 7 prohibits the police from stopping people for having an air freshener, which they technically can and sometimes do to fish for other possible citations.

Section 8 allows for a year for compliance.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 06:00:08 PM »

I like it for the most part but I'm not sure about 80.....maybe consider 70??
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:22 PM »

Fellow Delegates,

I support the reasoning of this legislation to some extent, and I feel that there is reasoning for significant parts of the legislation.  I have a few questions that I feel need to be addressed first.

Firstly; what would be the safety implications of having an eighty miles per hour limit rather than seventy?  I know that was the primary reason why the Motorway speed limit remained at seventy in the UK; and I was wondering whether the proposer of the legislation may wish to expand on that.  Additionally; justification for section 3 would be appreciated;

Secondly; I would personally support a clarification that section 4 would only apply in rural areas; or in areas where pedestrian traffic would be unlikely to be present in significant quantities.  I feel that without that provision there would likely be a safety risk to pedestrians trying to cross the road otherwise: and this house should not be seeking to discourage walking.

Finally; I generally disapprove of this chamber removing the rights of lower authorities to implement solutions for problems in their own communities so therefore I'd personally support either striking section 5 in its entirety; or redrafting it to allow for a series of conditions that would have to be present for municipalities to implement red light cameras.  Indeed; I feel that the latter would be better legislation; since then local authorities would have clear guidelines and the introduction of red light cameras would be more uniform throughout the region, and also it'd mean that this house would not have to vote on every single request for a red light camera which strikes me as being inappropriate considering that we represent such a large region.

In the bill in its current form, I would have to vote against it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 07:49:59 PM »

Fellow Delegates,

I support the reasoning of this legislation to some extent, and I feel that there is reasoning for significant parts of the legislation.  I have a few questions that I feel need to be addressed first.

Firstly; what would be the safety implications of having an eighty miles per hour limit rather than seventy?  I know that was the primary reason why the Motorway speed limit remained at seventy in the UK; and I was wondering whether the proposer of the legislation may wish to expand on that.  Additionally; justification for section 3 would be appreciated;

Secondly; I would personally support a clarification that section 4 would only apply in rural areas; or in areas where pedestrian traffic would be unlikely to be present in significant quantities.  I feel that without that provision there would likely be a safety risk to pedestrians trying to cross the road otherwise: and this house should not be seeking to discourage walking.

Finally; I generally disapprove of this chamber removing the rights of lower authorities to implement solutions for problems in their own communities so therefore I'd personally support either striking section 5 in its entirety; or redrafting it to allow for a series of conditions that would have to be present for municipalities to implement red light cameras.  Indeed; I feel that the latter would be better legislation; since then local authorities would have clear guidelines and the introduction of red light cameras would be more uniform throughout the region, and also it'd mean that this house would not have to vote on every single request for a red light camera which strikes me as being inappropriate considering that we represent such a large region.

In the bill in its current form, I would have to vote against it.

So in regards to your concerns:

Sec. 2 is limited to Regional highways, which are largely rural areas. I don't have a data study or anything but I would think there would only be a negligible increase in deaths. Plus we are still slower than the autobahn.

Sec. 3 makes it easier to pass slower drivers but still contains safety rules.

Sec. 4 allows the Regional government, States, and localities would to post "No Right On Red" signs at any stoplight based on local conditions. It also does not change the general rules in the State traffic codes that cars must come to a complete stop at a red light before turning right.

For Sec. 5, while I would vote against an amendment, I will explain how Virginia handles it. Va Code 15.2-968.1 caps red light cameras in localities at 1 per 10,000 and sets minimum technological standards, minimum testing requirements, minimum yellow light length, rules for appealing tickets, limits on storing camera data,  eligible intersection rules, mandatory signs and notice, and rules for private maintenance. We are however a Dillons Rule State.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 11:27:20 AM »

I like it for the most part but I'm not sure about 80.....maybe consider 70??

I would definitely prefer 75 over 80. We don't want people approaching 90 MPH (which you know they will if the speed limit is 80.)

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 11:25:50 PM »

I would be willing to drop it down to 75 if it pushes the bill over the finish line. Is that the biggest concern?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:51 PM »

So I have amended my bill to lower the maximum speed from 80 to 75. Sad

Are there any other concerns related to this bill? If not, I plan on pushing for a final vote sometime later this week.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 05:45:19 PM »

I hereby request unanimous consent to end debate and hold a final vote on the bill as amended. Delegates have 24 hours to object.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 05:45:42 PM »

Having received no objection, I hereby open a final 48 hour vote on the bill as amended (75 MPH rather than 80).
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 07:10:49 PM »

Aye
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:35:00 AM »

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:54:56 PM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »

Aye. Delegates have 24 hrs to change their votes. Delegates who have not yet voted may still do so.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:53 PM »

Aye
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2017, 10:52:40 PM »

Im going to call it.

5 in favor, 0 opposed, 2 abstentions

Bill passes.

If you havent yet voted in the ongoing 3 bill vote-arama please feel free. Tuesday around noon 30 is the deadline.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2017, 10:04:07 PM »

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies