What are the best places to learn about the history of philosophy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:06:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What are the best places to learn about the history of philosophy
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the best places to learn about the history of philosophy  (Read 632 times)
vanguard96
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 03, 2017, 10:03:35 AM »

I want to learn about the development and history of philosophy from the Greeks & Romans to religious philosophy to the Enlightenment, to Nietsche and beyond.

From your experience what is the best place you have found?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 01:56:04 PM »

I once listened to a podcast called “Philosophize This!” that could paint a semi-effective, basic picture of things. The host is a bit too much of a self-hating liberal weenie, though.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »

I once listened to a podcast called “Philosophize This!” that could paint a semi-effective, basic picture of things. The host is a bit too much of a self-hating liberal weenie, though.

Thanks. I will give it a try.

I listened to a few episodes about Aristotle from Peter Adamson - History of Philosophy podcast series which were pretty good.

I've been meaning to listen to the ones on Plato, Socrates, the stoics, and of course later philosophy.

Georg Ebner
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
« Edited: November 03, 2017, 06:34:19 PM by Georg Ebner »

Works written by philosophers on themselves are awfully partisan in a tyrannic way and absolutely ahistorical.
Those by historians, on the other hand, are too unphilosophical: Meandering from one's ontology through ethics to aesthetics aso., so as if one philosopher had consisted of several thinkers.

The only salvation would be a historistic philosopher like W.DILTHEY, the philosopher par excellence for HistorioGraphy; but He produced only specialized - fantastic! - pieces (on HEGEL, SCHLEIERMACHER, ...), none/few of them translated into English, I assume.
Small L
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 07:54:41 PM »

Thanks. I will give it a try.

I listened to a few episodes about Aristotle from Peter Adamson - History of Philosophy podcast series which were pretty good.

I've been meaning to listen to the ones on Plato, Socrates, the stoics, and of course later philosophy.

The History of Philosophy podcasts are really good. I was going to recommend them. They've only made it to the 14th century so far, but the sheer number of podcasts they've already made means they may be at the enlightenment by the time you catch up, especially if you go slowly. I've been listening sporadically for a while and I just made it to Epicurus.

I also recommend Copleston's history of philosophy books if you want a general history that goes a little more in-depth. He has a thomist bias but he doesn't hide it.
Georg Ebner
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 07:01:12 PM »

I also recommend Copleston's history of philosophy books if you want a general history that goes a little more in-depth. He has a thomist bias but he doesn't hide it.
Thomism = Marxism, MetaPhysics = Physics

A Jesuit was someone, who claimed, that he had to strangulate verity in order to save verity (cf. PASCAL, ProvincialLetters), i.e. an abuser and always a mediocre intellect.

The RomanChurch has generally been inable to deal with history, what is a little bit tragical, as PiusXII envisioned Her as HIS CorpusMysticum migrating through human history.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:09:08 PM »

The semi-fictional book Sophie's World is a good introduction.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies