From Backseat to the Frontseat: A tale of Terror
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:54:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  From Backseat to the Frontseat: A tale of Terror
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: From Backseat to the Frontseat: A tale of Terror  (Read 1557 times)
Former Senator Haslam2020
Haslam2020
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2017, 12:59:19 PM »

How the United States turned into an Autocracy by Alan Lichtman:

All was peaceful in Washington D.C on the morning of December 15th, 1992. The political rigor had accepted that the Democrats had lost the Presidency for the fourth time in a row, with President George Bush narrowly prevailing over a democratic candidate. From a street in Denver, Colorado, rumors were spreading on the television about how the President and Vice President were involved in a shooting. Results were spotty for the first five minutes, until gunfire broke out on the Capitol steps. "What the hell was going on?" the Secretary of Defense asked himself from the White House, where gunfire could be heard. The Secretary, who was waiting for Senator John McCain, turned on the television to horror. The Vice President of the United States is dead? The images coming out of a Denver Hospital, where the President had visible gun shot wounds in his chest. An explosion in Times Square, killing the New York Mayor, David Dinkins. It had been an hour, the Secretary was privately rushing around in the Oval Office until the news of the President pro Tempore of the Senate, Robert Byrd had been killed, which his wife, Lynne had come in and told him, and as the door stayed open, the news of the President of the United States being pronounced dead, had been announced throughout the room. Dick's jaw dropped. Who was the President? Tom Foley?! He was hit in the Capitol attack while walking down the footsteps. The Secretary of State? No word on him, but James Baker was with Tom Foley and Robert Byrd, as was Nicholas Brady, the Secretary of the Treasury. A truck had stopped in front of the White House, and pulled out a .1911 and shot two secret service agents, and threw a grenade on the White House steps, until being gunned down. By the end of the day, the attacks had killed 6 U.S American politicians: President Bush shot twice in the chest, Vice President Quayle, shot once in the neck, Speaker of the House Tom Foley, shot three times in the chest, once in the neck, and once in the hip. Secretary of State Jim Baker had been killed, two gunshots in his back. The Secretary of the Treasury was killed by shrapnel, as well as the Mayor of New York City, David Dinkins. Attempts had been made on other secretaries, but most were at home with their families. At around 7:30 PM, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, who himself had actually been part of an assassination attempt, but no justices were at the Supreme Court at the time. Anyways, The Secretary of Defense, Dick Cheney had been inaugurated as the 42nd President of the United States, and gave a long televised speech to the national not more than an hour afterwards. It was described as heartbreaking, yet beautiful. Depressing, yet hopeful. Richard Bruce Cheney, the former White House Chief of Staff, the former Secretary of Defense, was now President of the United States.

The 42nd President of the United States, Richard Bruce Cheney

West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 04:17:54 PM »

I will be following this.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:40:38 PM »

Thanks!!
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:49:55 PM »

The Immediate Aftermath of The 12/15 Attacks by Former Senator William Cohen:

President Cheney was faced with a crisis, on all fronts. On the foreign front, he had to find out who committed these attacks, how they were funded, who influenced them, etc. The next day, a terrorist named Osama Bin Laden had claimed responsibility for the attacks. Marred in a Civil War in his home country, he wanted to show Afghans "who was boss", and that he did. President Bush's re-election posed a risk to his side's potential victory, and sleeper cells, specifically ten gunman and two bombers, had carried out an attack of massive, epic proportions, killing 142 people. Just a day after Cheney's address to the nation, another was made. Declaring that the House and Senate would hold an emergency session to declare war on the "Talibani element of Afghanistan", due to Osama Bin Laden's ties to the fighters. The day was December 18th, 1992, the President's third day in office. Another of his crises, the Domestic Crisis. The President had never been elected to an office outside of Wyoming, and that was just to the House of Representatives. He was seen as a "neocon", and he needed to plant his newfound presidency in concrete. He needed a Vice President, and new Cabinet members. He decided to keep Bush's former Chief of Staff, John Sununu. John and Dick went over a replacement for slain Treasury Secretary, Nicholas Brady. The job went to Oregon Senator, Bob Packwood. Despite some rumors and allegations about him, these were likely false according to Cheney. That would lose a Senate seat for the GOP, though. We'll come back to that later. The candidate chosen for Secretary of State was Colin Powell, risen to prominence due to Dick Cheney. The Secretary of Defense slot would be occupied by close Cheney friend, Donald Rumsfeld. The Vice Presidential question was down to six candidates: Senator John McCain of Arizona, Senator Bob Dole of Kansas, Senator Al D'amato of New York, Representative Jack Kemp of New York, Senator John Ashcroft of Missouri, and up and coming Representative from Georgia, Newt Gingrich. The Cabinet nominations were announced on December 22nd, 1992, with a date for a Vice Presidential choice to "occur in January". The House passed the bill to approve the War on this day too, yet Cheney had already began preparing even if he didn't get approval. On December 23rd, a massive state funeral was held for all of the slain, with President Cheney giving an emotional and fiery eulogy, locking his Presidency in place. I, the Senator from Maine felt something in that speech. I sensed a man who... Wanted nothing but power, but without the spotlight. Awfully strange, right?

erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 12:17:12 AM »

RIP America
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 02:34:05 AM »

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 11:35:29 AM »

Y'all haven't seen anything yet Wink Sad
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »

The Dick and the Newt: Conversation excerpt told by Cheney, from former Senator Alan Simpson:

New Years. The ball dropped as U.S forces boots' touched the ground in a small village in Northern Afghanistan. Cheney could imagine the helicopter rotors and the gun fire. Alas, he closed his eyes and a rare smile lit up his face. Christmas had been a cakewalk, but it was time for some governing. The Vice Presidential slot had still been left closed. Dick was meeting one of the candidates tonight. House Minority Leader, Newt Gingrich. Newt poised himself. After a couple cordial questions... The real sh## started. "Mr. President... Do you plan to run in 1996?", Newt said with a blank poker face. "I dunno Newt, why do you ask?" Dick said. "Well, you can't play a player. We both know you'll run again, you love to be in the front seat for once." Newt said, as if he was talking to himself. Dick was caught aghast. "Uh, look. What do you really want?". Newt's face grinned, as if he was the Grinch, a nickname previously given to him. "Look, I wouldn't mind being Vice President. I'd get confirmed otherwise the Democrats would be blamed for all kinds of sh##, instead of us losing, we could gain. I know you don't want a conservative challenger to cost you the election, right Mr. President?". Dick again, looked startled and angry as he clenched his heart. "You son of a b**ch. I'm the man calling the shots here. Not you, and I want my Vice President to act like the good little c**k sucking b***h he is. I have the influence to get you out, don't forget that. I like your style. I like your game. But I'm no scaredy cat politician, I'm Dick M**herf**king Cheney!!! Forty Second President of the United States!!!". Newt slowly backed up. "Uh-my" "NO!!!" Dick cut Newt off. The President regained his composure. "If you win me those House seats, and be a good little conservative and rally them up like a good little wimpy b**ch, then I'll consider you. You remind me a lot of me." The conversation ended. Cheney found his man. It was either Gingrich, or McCain. "F**k McCain" the President thought to himself. "F**k that little humble sh**, Newt's smart". The President had his choice.

razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 11:57:48 PM »

D:
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 08:10:10 AM »

Pull the trigger, Piglet.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »

_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »

The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 07:24:52 PM »

razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 05:26:46 PM »

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »

Dangggg
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 10:19:02 PM »

Operation Eagle's Justice and the Selection of Newt Gingrich as Vice President by Former Vice President Walter Mondale

Operation Eagle's Justice was a particularly interesting intervention. As soon as Congress passed the Declaration of war, within ten minutes U.S forces were inbound for a small village in Northern Afghanistan where terrorist Osama Bin Laden was being sheltered. The name said it all. This was the American Vengeance for the 12/15 attacks, and a couple local Afghan militia groups helped weaken defenses via mortars while the helicopters swept in and unleashed the bullets that would change a world forever. After minor resistance, they went to a local hut where Osama was being held, where the radical was wearing a suicide vest and held a small revolver, but U.S forces were quick to subdue and eliminate the target with a rapid succession of bullets. There was little time to celebrate, as news came quickly of what had happened. A leak went to the press, and the televisions cut from the Representatives from their families to the joint Chiefs, Colin Powell, who reassured the nation, who was followed by President Cheney. "Ladies and gentleman... We got him!" That line would cement Cheney's presidency in steel, but he went further. "Let any one who wants to harm our great garden of Eden, they shall be shot like the beasts and pigs they are. Just as Osama was, you shall be. I am announcing a plan to send U.S troops to Afghanistan, and hopefully gathering an international coalition to clean up this mess that has fallen upon us. The situation in their Civil War is a great destabilization to the peace. We shall go in and aid Mujahhadeen fighters in retaking their country. God bless you, God bless this new year, God help us. God bless our great garden of Eden, the United States of America!", the President walked off the stage swiftly and with fury in his body language. Three days later, with the polls out giving Cheney a 69% approval rating, and with McCain in the lead for the VP slot with 32% of respondents preferring him, and with his Cabinet nominees getting confirmed, the President arranged a press conference. The Washington air was cold, and as I watched the televisions I thought to myself... Where was I when this happened? Where was I when Bin Laden was taken out? Why am I here, in a small cabin, when the next Vice President of the United States is going to be named. I don't know. As I saw that smug little prick enter the television screen, I already knew. With the President giving a short introductory speech nominating Gingrich... I felt sick. His confirmation process was quick, but narrow, despite a Democratic majority. The Southern Senators wouldn't dare strike down a fellow conservative. Two people who didn't give a damn about the country were going to be our leaders, I just didn't know it yet.

The 45th Vice President of the United States: Newton Leroy McPherson, aka Newt Gingrich (January 14th, 1993-?

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2017, 05:55:03 PM »

How the United States Turned into an Autocracy by Allan Lichtman

1993 was a cakewalk for the Cheney Administration. His VP choice and Cabinet got through, and the Invasion of Afghanistan was going oh so well. The "shock and awe" campaign of the Desert Storm Campaign was used as a model for the Afghan conflict, and it was proving itself successful again. However on the domestic front, Cheney needed ideas, and he needed them badly. He consulted Vice President Gingrich, and it was decided. Massive Education and Infrastructure Spending we're going to occur, as well as signing a new trade deal, NAFTA. Former withdrawn Presidential candidate Ross Perot debated Vice President Gingrich on the topic, and was obliterated.  In the 1993 Gubernatorial Elections, both Christine Todd Whitman and George Allen narrowly won. Most of Afghanistan by now was under U.S/U.N control, but the war was still very controversial. In all, 436 U.S troops died while around 10,200 Afghan Taliban fighters were killed so far.

Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2017, 11:05:54 AM »

How the United States turned into an Autocracy by Allan Lichtman:

The year 1994 began with a rocky start. Not much domestic legislation passed, with Cheney's approval starting to lower due to no "legislative accomplishments". However, his Vice President had a plan. The "Contract with America" plan, which would hopefully win many seats for the Republicans in the upcoming midterms. The Vice President still held a lot of leverage over the House, despite Tom Foley being speaker, and Dick Armey taking Gingrich's former position. Most of 1994 was not exactly dealing with domestic issues, but keeping the Occupation of Afghanistan ongoing. Fear worked on the American people. Saddam Hussein was mortified that he would be next, next in line for an invasion. We'll get back to that. When November came, it saw startling results for the Republicans. Forty four gains, including the defeat of Speaker of the House Tom Foley. In a historic election that became known as "the Republican Revolution", the Republicans had narrowly taken back the House. Without the House on his side, Cheney would be crippled if he chose to run in '96. The Grand Old Party also took 5 Senate seats, and 8 Governorships. The President had his door blasted open, unexpectedly. And thus, readers, is where the autocracy and corruption began.

U.S General Election Polls, 1996 Presidential Election (December 1st, 1994:)

Dick Cheney: 52%
Jerry Brown: 45%

Dick Cheney: 49%
Al Gore: 47%

Dick Cheney: 50%
Bob Casey: 46%

Dick Cheney: 46%
Joe Biden: 52%

Dick Cheney: 47%
Bill Clinton: 48%

Dick Cheney: 50%
Dick Gephardt: 48%

Dick Cheney: 52%
Bill Bradley: 43%

Dick Cheney: 56%
Jesse Jackson: 40%

Dick Cheney: 48%
Tom Harkin: 49%

Dick Cheney: 51%
John Kerry: 47%

Dick Cheney: 49%
Ted Kennedy: 49%

Dick Cheney: 54%
Bob Kerrey: 43%

Dick Cheney: 53%
Tom Daschle: 46%

Dick Cheney: 60%
Al Sharpton: 36%

Dick Cheney: 56%
Jimmy Griffin: 37%
NOT gonna be banned soon
Golfman76
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2017, 01:17:46 PM »

Wonder how US-Pakistan relations are like.

Nice dystopian TL.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2017, 06:44:47 PM »

Wonder how US-Pakistan relations are like.

Nice dystopian TL.

Thank you!! Also, relations are kinda bogged down. Pakistan doesn't like the quick U.S action in Afghanistan without their approval, and if war breaks out there's a rumor India would invade Southeastern Pakistan. It's not considered likely, though.
Haslam2020
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 06:48:49 PM »
« Edited: December 02, 2017, 06:51:13 PM by House Majority Leader Haslam2020 »

A Guide to the 1996 Presidential Candidates by the New York Times, December 1st, 1995:

The Democratic Candidates for President:

Jerry Brown- 1992 Democratic Nominee, former Governor of California

The 1992 Democratic Nominee and former Governor of California decided to pass on runs for local, state office to seek the Presidency once again. Calling many of Cheney's actions "unconstitutional", he seems more populist even than in his 1992 run, which he narrowly lost to the late President Bush. He is focusing on making outrageous statements to get increased press coverage, and launching a grassroots movement. He has been endorsed by few prominent party politicians, but has been spotted frequently campaigning with Representative Bernie Sanders.

Al Gore- Senator from Tennessee

Al Gore, the Tennessee Senator, is running for the presidency for a second time on a platform of new centrism. His campaign is a lot like Bill Clinton's '92 run, and well, in fact Gore has been endorsed by Clinton, and some southern Democratic politicians. He is running a more centrist, futurist campaign, pointing to the Environment and Internet.

Joe Biden- Senator from Delaware

Senator Biden was damaged from his 1988 Presidential bid, but now he's back for a second time. He's running as an experienced policy wonk, yet kind of young. He is still running for re-election to his Senate seat, which has caused some controversy. Senator Biden has lots of foreign policy experience, and if he loses this race, he'd likely be a Secretary of State contender in a future Democratic Administration.  

Bill Bradley- Senator from New Jersey

Senator Bradley is seen as "too liberal" to get elected, however if Brown could do it, why couldn't he? He's polling well in just a couple of states, however he has a lot of potential. A former NBA superstar, and current New Jersey Senator, maybe he's someone to watch.

Mario Cuomo- Former Governor from New York

The former New York Governor has finally decided now is the time to run for President. In 1988 and 1992, he was the frontrunner. Now he's polling in low double digits, and struggling to lead state contests except in his home state, he lost the 1994 Gubernatorial Election, and it seems his strategy was just to wait until he lost and run.

Douglas Wilder- Former Governor from Virginia

After his botched 1992 bid, Governor Wilder is back for a campaign that shall make it to the primaries. He's polling well among blacks, but is getting outshined by Jesse Jackson among that demographic. He's only leading in Virginia, but let's see if he can become a serious candidate.

Senator John Kerry- Senator from Massachusetts

Senator John Kerry has strangely decided to run for President in 1996. It's strange because he's dropped out of his re-election race, which now seems to open up a seat for Governor Weld, and many party officials are supposedly secretly trying to get him back to Massachusetts, but Kerry's still in it.

Senator Bob Kerrey- Senator from Nebraska

Senator Kerrey is running for a second time, and is seen as a more credible contender. His service as a war veteran, Governor, and a Senator from Nebraska are proven positives of his electability. Can he convince voters that he has what it takes to win?

Jesse Jackson- Reverend from Washington, D.C.

Jesse Jackson has decided to run for President a third time. The civil rights icon announced his candidacy rather late, and due to his "old presence" within the party, he is polling in the high single digits. Will he be able to recapture the success of his Presidential bids of 1984 and 1988, and actually win contests this time?

Robert Casey- Former Governor from Pennsylvania

The former Pennsylvania Governor has just recently stepped down from his position of Governor, and he's proving that he's unable to bring that experience to a nationwide scale. His health problems are also proving to be of great concern.

Jimmy Griffin- Former Mayor of Buffalo from New York

The former Mayor of Buffalo is not predicted to make much of a dent in the contest.

Democratic Nationwide Primary Poll, December 1st, 1995:

Jerry Brown: 20.1%
Al Gore: 16.5%
Joe Biden: 15.0%
Bill Bradley: 12.0%
Mario Cuomo: 10.1%
Doug Wilder: 6.2%
John Kerry: 6.1%
Bob Kerrey: 5.1%
Jesse Jackson: 5.1%
Robert Casey: 3.2%
Jimmy Griffin: 0.1%