VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:23:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 76
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)  (Read 94645 times)
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »

Northam by 2 is a pretty good result for Republicans - it shows that hard-on-immigration campaigns energize the GOP base but won't significantly alienate the Dem base to the point that it negates the edge.

2013 was a much better year for Republicans than it was now. What a hypothetical Dem operative wants to see is Northam up by like 9. That'd be somewhere near the national margin the Dems need to be playing with in order to have a home run midterm like some metric indicate.

Gillespie improving on Cuccinelli's margin in the shift in landscape would be nothing less than miraculous. This election (and how exactly Guadagno falls to Murphy) should give folks in the RNC a good idea whether to run on a national anti-sanctuary message in 2018.

Maybe the trick for Paul Ryan is to move a bit to the right on cultural issues.

You sound like a democrat after Ossoff lost.

Not really. Ossoff losing was bad for the Dems for the same reasons a 2 point Northam win or 10 point Murphy win would be bad for the Dems: a lack of ability to improve on Hillary's numbers in an election they lost overall, despite muh wave and the muh Hillary horrible candidate coping mechanism.

I think your overthinking it. Hillary was a good fit for NJ and Tim Kaine helped her margin in VA. Phil Murphy has the charisma of a card board box and the last 3 VA governors races have been competitive. Tomorrow nights performance doesn't have to mean much about whether there will or wont be a wave next year.

Harry Enten of 538 has pointed out several times that off-year gubernatorial elections aren't particularly predictive of subsequent Congressional results.  Writing recently about Virginia specifically:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hence why this "if Northam doesn't do well, democrats won't do well in 2018" talk is downright annoying.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2017, 08:29:00 PM »

Northam by 2 is a pretty good result for Republicans - it shows that hard-on-immigration campaigns energize the GOP base but won't significantly alienate the Dem base to the point that it negates the edge.

2013 was a much better year for Republicans than it was now. What a hypothetical Dem operative wants to see is Northam up by like 9. That'd be somewhere near the national margin the Dems need to be playing with in order to have a home run midterm like some metric indicate.

Gillespie improving on Cuccinelli's margin in the shift in landscape would be nothing less than miraculous. This election (and how exactly Guadagno falls to Murphy) should give folks in the RNC a good idea whether to run on a national anti-sanctuary message in 2018.

Not really. Ossoff losing was bad for the Dems for the same reasons a 2 point Northam win or 10 point Murphy win would be bad for the Dems: a lack of ability to improve on Hillary's numbers in an election they lost overall, despite muh wave and the muh Hillary horrible candidate coping mechanism.

I think your overthinking it. Hillary was a good fit for NJ and Tim Kaine helped her margin in VA. Phil Murphy has the charisma of a card board box and the last 3 VA governors races have been competitive. Tomorrow nights performance doesn't have to mean much about whether there will or wont be a wave next year.

Yeah there's a way to spin everything.

Dems only lost 2016 because of Hillary (even though they failed across the board, many far worse than her)
Dems only lost KS/SC because they didn't pay attention.
Dems only lost GA because they paid too much attention.
Dems only lost MT because the Republican bodyslammed a reporter too late.
(Potential) Dems only lost VA because of <insert reason here>

But ultimately, when there's an actual wave, the beneficiaries of it aren't constantly spinning. They're too busy winning.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2017, 08:32:58 PM »

Yeah there's a way to spin everything.

Dems only lost 2016 because of Hillary (even though they failed across the board, many far worse than her)
Dems only lost GA because they paid too much attention.
Dems only lost MT because the Republican bodyslammed a reporter too late.
(Potential) Dems only lost VA because of <insert reason here>

But ultimately, when there's an actual wave, the beneficiaries of it aren't constantly spinning. They're too busy winning.

I'm not spinning anything. Hillary overperformed polls in NJ and Tim Kaine is a popular sitting senator from VA. It's not hard to put 2 and 2 together about either state.

Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2017, 08:33:47 PM »

Harry Enten of 538 has pointed out several times that off-year gubernatorial elections aren't particularly predictive of subsequent Congressional results.  

This true, which is why the 30 or so special elections in 2017 showing Ds increasing 10-20% over the previous results are more compelling. Northam winning by the same margin as Hillary, or narrower, wouldn't invalidate those.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »

Harry Enten of 538 has pointed out several times that off-year gubernatorial elections aren't particularly predictive of subsequent Congressional results. 

This true, which is why the 30 or so special elections in 2017 showing Ds increasing 10-20% over the previous results are more compelling. Northam winning by the same margin as Hillary, or narrower, wouldn't invalidate those.

True - The best predictor of 2018 in VA (as stated by many others previously) is the HoD races, and particularly their relation to the Gov margin. The HoD results will tell us how well dems could fare in districts that are slightly gerrymandered/formerly republican but now competitive. It will also tell us how willing people are to throw out incumbents. Finally, I will also show how many people are willing to split their ticket between the top and the downballot races. if Gillespie ends up willing, but Dems gain 6 or more seats in the HoD, I consider that a win. If Northam wins by a reasonable amount, but dems only gain those 6 seat - well that is a setback.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2017, 08:36:59 PM »

I don't think anyone says this. People credit Parnell's showing because the Dems didn't pay attention. Dems lost KS/SC because those seats are virtually impossible for Dems to win now unless it's 1894 or 1958, AND because it was too early in Trump's term for the failures to sink in with his base. That we came so close is useless if we want to win Congress through special elections in seats Trump chooses to make vacant, but pretty indicative of swings in closer seats that are all up for election next year.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2017, 08:38:32 PM »

I think a high profile decent turnout statewide race is far more representative than extremely tiny abysmally low turnout state house races.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:14 PM »

I think a high profile decent turnout statewide race is far more representative than extremely tiny abysmally low turnout state house races.

Well, then you need to explain why earlier in the thread people are quoting stats of how unpredictive Virginia's governors races have been in the past.

One thing I remember very clearly from 2001 is how Mark Warner won narrowly while Republicans swept to much higher margins in the HoDs. A big part of that was redistricting, but it also showed that Republican support was as strong as ever 1 year into Bush's term.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2017, 08:56:40 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2017, 08:59:57 PM by Virginia »

It's a useful measure of showing enthusiasm on top of potential swings. Democrats were consistently under-performing in special elections under Obama, and now it's like a sharp reversal and then some. Also, special elections taken individually aren't useful in predicting a midterm or presidential environment but taken in large groups they are reasonably useful.

Tomorrow the HoD races taken together will probably be the most useful predictor for 2018. People don't really know that much about their lawmakers, and the media gives most of its coverage to what Congress/the president is doing. This is why studies have shown these races, and other low-profile ones are where their opinions of the president and the ruling party tend to dominate. It's somewhat different for a single high-profile race like the gubernatorial one, where there is so much attention on it that it kind of becomes a thing unto itself. But even then, they are still affected by the political environment.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2017, 11:03:00 PM »

It was interesting from 538's article that Northam does better in polls with fewer undecideds. Guess that 'undecideds always go GOP' Atlas so-called wisdom may be proven wrong.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2017, 11:25:27 PM »

Worth remembering tomorrow night:

And in 2014, Gillespie lost his lead when 92% of the precincts were reporting.

So McAuliffe 2013 took the lead with 76% reporting, Clinton 2016 took the lead with 83% reporting (with a 5.4% final margin!), Warner 2014 took the lead at 92% reporting, and Herring 2013 took the lead in a recount.

Anyone know when Obama 2012 (3.9% final margin) took the lead?  Probably earlier than Clinton and McAuliffe because less purely dependent on NOVA?

I couldn't find the exact percentage in reviewing old election overage, but Obama trailed by ~16K with 80% in, and led by ~15K with 84% in, so I'd guess he took the lead with about 82% in.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2017, 11:37:43 PM »

Yeah, I'm growing more confident that Northam will win. He was shaky in the past week but the polls have shown he is stabilizing, better yet, they are showing that he is winning undecideds. Plus this is a Democrat state, folks.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2017, 12:01:25 AM »

Yeah, I'm growing more confident that Northam will win. He was shaky in the past week but the polls have shown he is stabilizing, better yet, they are showing that he is winning undecideds. Plus this is a Democrat state, folks.

I never bought the last argument. Vermont and Massachussetts are, surely, Democratic states. That didn't prevented Baker and Scott from winning. And vice versa - Wyoming being Republican state didn't prevented Freudentahl from winning in 2002 and 2006
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2017, 12:55:44 AM »

If Gillespie loses the race, I'm looking forward to some post-Ossoff-like handwringing from Republicans who got their hopes up.

Greedo will likely either be going off on everyone or *crickets chirp* Wink

Krazen too. But he gets so little pleasure living in his parents basement instead of going to work, I can't blame him.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2017, 04:12:01 AM »

If Gillespie loses the race, I'm looking forward to some post-Ossoff-like handwringing from Republicans who got their hopes up.

And, I seem to remember an election 52 weeks ago today in which the Democratic candidate had had a bit of bad news which lead to the Republican candidate surging in the polls. Around the final weekend, the polls suggested that the Democratic candidate had stabilized her position with a small, but, significant and persistent lead. The Republican candidate won.

If Gillespie wins tomorrow, some folks are going to be howling at the moon a night early.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2017, 04:15:21 AM »

And, I seem to remember an election 52 weeks ago today in which the Democratic candidate had had a bit of bad news which lead to the Republican candidate surging in the polls. Around the final weekend, the polls suggested that the Democratic candidate had stabilized her position with a small, but, significant and persistent lead. The Republican candidate won.

If Gillespie wins tomorrow, some folks are going to be howling at the moon a night early.

Bob, Virginia doesn't have an Electoral College....
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2017, 04:16:43 AM »

Bob, Virginia doesn't have an Electoral College....

Georgia did back in the day.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2017, 04:25:34 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/news/election-2013/2013/11/05/virginia-the-governors-race-minute-by-minute/

That's a graph that shows how the lead changed throughout the night in the 2013 race.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2017, 06:21:56 AM »

Too bad for the GOP that Virginia doesn’t elect Governors through an electoral college.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2017, 07:07:44 AM »

by the time around 90% is reporting, I think if Gillespie has over a 06000 vote it is unlikely northam will win even if most of Fairfax is to report.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »

Confident Northam will win. I am just interested in seeing how he performs in Virginia Beach. Hope he flips it.
Baki
Rookie
Croatia

« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2017, 07:40:07 AM »

by the time around 90% is reporting, I think if Gillespie has over a 06000 vote it is unlikely northam will win even if most of Fairfax is to report.

In the 2014 Senate race, with 89%  reporting Gillespie had a 7500 vote lead.
At that same moment Fairfax had less than 75% reporting.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2017, 07:45:45 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2017, 07:52:02 AM by Castro »

So it’s looking like if it’s a 2-3 point win for Northam, this could be called between 9:30-10ish. Closer than that, and this could take a while.

Edit: Though even in VA 2014, Warner took the lead around 10:40, and once the Democrat takes the lead at that point it’s pretty much over, so at least we’ll likely know if Northam wins before 11 (if he wins by more than 1%).
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2017, 07:59:18 AM »

I voted. We should have an "I voted today" thread.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #124 on: November 07, 2017, 08:17:31 AM »

Falls Church turnout 2 hours after polls opened

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies