VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:54:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 76
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)  (Read 94941 times)
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: November 08, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

@PU: And wasn't Fairfax the furthest left campaign at that?  Something something Racist WV and SWVA hicks something something they said.
May have something to do with people thinking that Vogel is a NoVa elitist.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1701 on: November 08, 2017, 11:07:00 AM »

@PU: And wasn't Fairfax the furthest left campaign at that?  Something something Racist WV and SWVA hicks something something they said.
May have something to do with people thinking that Vogel is a NoVa elitist.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1702 on: November 08, 2017, 11:14:53 AM »

Any chance Democrats could make a deal to flip a Republican Senator?

Well Assad-admirer Dick Black probably can't be convinced of anything, and the only other Clinton-won Senate district is held by Frank Wagner of all people. A deal to flip someone might be unlikely, but maybe one of them can be convinced to get on board with Medicaid expansion, redistricting, and other pieces of the Democratic agenda.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1703 on: November 08, 2017, 11:16:02 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

HD-40 might have flipped back
uti2

« Reply #1704 on: November 08, 2017, 11:16:59 AM »

I know a handful of Obama 2012 Trump 2016 voters personally. Of course, it's just a handful of people in Ohio. I actually get the impression he's really well liked up here compared to places like Colorado or Virginia.

Trump seems to do well in the blue collar states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) whereas I think more upscale whites in Virginia and Colorado will be a problem for him. Florida I have no clue.

As I've been saying for a couple of years now, Virginia is basically gone for the GOP. Atleast in the short-term.

I noticed the difference between upscale white, more socially conscious voters in places like Virginia and Colorado and downscale white, less politically correct voters in places like Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan. Pennsylvania has a little of both.

I've found this demographic very, very fascinating since I've been harping on it for years and it ended up being the decisive forgotten votes that propelled Trump to the White House.

I think two things have big factors with these voters:

1. Money
- For anyone of my friends or family, even those of us who make good money for white working class Americans, in order to move to a state like Colorado or Virginia, especially a nice place, we would need a significant amount of money. This tells me that many of these white voters in Virginia and Colorado are actually quite well off, perhaps more college degrees. This could also allow them to embrace more of a social justice agenda than people like myself and many in the Midwest since our focus is still on economics.

2. Class
- To be honest, the things that "shocked" all those yoga-training career oriented 28 year old college educated women in a place like Prince William County didn't really have an impact in a place like Lake County, OH or Macomb County, MI. I think political correctness is a much, much bigger issue once you don't have finances to worry about and if you have much more college education.

None the less, I find these white voter differences very interesting as they will be useful in predicting elections in the future.

Virginia is not gone for Republicans statewide, moreso presidential. They have a base in VB, rural Virginia, and huge numbers in SW. The trick is to moderate and when I say moderate, I mean actual moderation, pre-1980s style GOP. The GOP has turned up the Trumpism heat in VA and it only helps them with their base in rural and let's face it, dying off literally and figuratively, parts of the state.

You are correct in terms of the point about VA having a white professional class, esp. in NoVA and Richmond. It makes these areas either Dem control or potential for moderate and liberal Republican swing districts but the GOP won't do that for the sake of RINO! in the primaries. It will haunt them for a couple more decades, at least. However, the idea that Virginia is now free to have Dems run full-tilt on SJW issues in VA is absolutely wrong. Economic issues, education, infrastructure, and good governance, are still the major issues here.

This.

Bob McDonnell is the model that GOP should look at if they want to win statewide in VA.

Mcdonnell wasn't a moderate, he's talking about the VA GOP running Rs like Hogan.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1705 on: November 08, 2017, 11:18:09 AM »

Is that the net gain for Hugo? Tanner was up 68 before this.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1706 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:20 AM »

Is that the net gain for Hugo? Tanner was up 68 before this.

Not sure, that's all they said
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1707 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »

HD-40 was classified as a D pickup by VPAP already (50.11-49.89), so it's a bigger margin than before. However, if this continues to be the case, we'll get 17-18 seats (and the house), as there are a number of HDs that were really close.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1708 on: November 08, 2017, 11:23:07 AM »

HD-40 was classified as a D pickup by VPAP already (50.11-49.89), so it's a bigger margin than before. However, if this continues to be the case, we'll get 17-18 seats (and the house), as there are a number of HDs that were really close.

Hugo is the Republican incumbent.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1709 on: November 08, 2017, 11:25:19 AM »

Hugo is the Republican incumbent.

Oh, crap, that might be enough to flip it if Tanner didn't pick up anything, which I doubt. Have absentees been counted yet?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1710 on: November 08, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 12:20:40 PM by Torie »

Maybe somebody already noted this, but a guy on RRH observed that it was not that Gillespie did not get a good vote in NOVA for a Pub in an off year election (he did better than Pubs in the recent past), but rather that there was a big spike in the vote by white "liberals," in some places by a stunning amount.  They were all fired up!
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #1711 on: November 08, 2017, 11:34:30 AM »

Oh, crap, that might be enough to flip it if Tanner didn't pick up anything, which I doubt. Have absentees been counted yet?

Yes absentees have been counted, but provisionals from the 6 Prince William precincts have not been reported. And I don't know how many Tanner gained from provisionals in Fairfax County.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1712 on: November 08, 2017, 11:39:13 AM »

I know a handful of Obama 2012 Trump 2016 voters personally. Of course, it's just a handful of people in Ohio. I actually get the impression he's really well liked up here compared to places like Colorado or Virginia.

Trump seems to do well in the blue collar states (Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan) whereas I think more upscale whites in Virginia and Colorado will be a problem for him. Florida I have no clue.

As I've been saying for a couple of years now, Virginia is basically gone for the GOP. Atleast in the short-term.

I noticed the difference between upscale white, more socially conscious voters in places like Virginia and Colorado and downscale white, less politically correct voters in places like Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan. Pennsylvania has a little of both.

I've found this demographic very, very fascinating since I've been harping on it for years and it ended up being the decisive forgotten votes that propelled Trump to the White House.

I think two things have big factors with these voters:

1. Money
- For anyone of my friends or family, even those of us who make good money for white working class Americans, in order to move to a state like Colorado or Virginia, especially a nice place, we would need a significant amount of money. This tells me that many of these white voters in Virginia and Colorado are actually quite well off, perhaps more college degrees. This could also allow them to embrace more of a social justice agenda than people like myself and many in the Midwest since our focus is still on economics.

2. Class
- To be honest, the things that "shocked" all those yoga-training career oriented 28 year old college educated women in a place like Prince William County didn't really have an impact in a place like Lake County, OH or Macomb County, MI. I think political correctness is a much, much bigger issue once you don't have finances to worry about and if you have much more college education.

None the less, I find these white voter differences very interesting as they will be useful in predicting elections in the future.

Virginia is not gone for Republicans statewide, moreso presidential. They have a base in VB, rural Virginia, and huge numbers in SW. The trick is to moderate and when I say moderate, I mean actual moderation, pre-1980s style GOP. The GOP has turned up the Trumpism heat in VA and it only helps them with their base in rural and let's face it, dying off literally and figuratively, parts of the state.

You are correct in terms of the point about VA having a white professional class, esp. in NoVA and Richmond. It makes these areas either Dem control or potential for moderate and liberal Republican swing districts but the GOP won't do that for the sake of RINO! in the primaries. It will haunt them for a couple more decades, at least. However, the idea that Virginia is now free to have Dems run full-tilt on SJW issues in VA is absolutely wrong. Economic issues, education, infrastructure, and good governance, are still the major issues here.

This.

Bob McDonnell is the model that GOP should look at if they want to win statewide in VA.

Mcdonnell wasn't a moderate, he's talking about the VA GOP running Rs like Hogan.

I know, but McDonnell ran as a moderate and ignored social issues for the most part.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1713 on: November 08, 2017, 11:52:37 AM »

I was rather surprised by how poorly Northam did in the rural black counties in SE Virginia.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1714 on: November 08, 2017, 12:11:25 PM »

Could still flip back after provisionals?
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #1715 on: November 08, 2017, 12:22:26 PM »

Any updates on the final HoD count?
Hydera

« Reply #1716 on: November 08, 2017, 12:37:12 PM »

I was rather surprised by how poorly Northam did in the rural black counties in SE Virginia.

a lot of those rural black counties is also 30-40% white. These voters actually used to vote more democrat than other whites nearby more whiter counties. Since Trump they've voted more like their neighboring white counterparts in 60-70% white areas, aka more republican. So black turnout is pretty average but whites there become more republican.  Pre-2014 they were probably 30-35% dem. after their probably 20-30%.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1717 on: November 08, 2017, 12:41:22 PM »

Any updates on the final HoD count?

it seems to be 48-48
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1718 on: November 08, 2017, 12:43:55 PM »

Hugo now up by 15 votes http://results.elections.virginia.gov/vaelections/2017%20November%20General/Site/Member%20House%20of%20Delegates%20(040).html

Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1719 on: November 08, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »

It's still doable to flip that with provisionals and I don't think they've counted those yet.
Bidenworth2020
politicalmasta73
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1720 on: November 08, 2017, 12:47:22 PM »

nah. less votes counted than VPAP has.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1721 on: November 08, 2017, 12:55:17 PM »

True. So I checked the VA Elections Dept page again. They have the updated numbers for PW but still haven't updated the Ffx portion yet. VPAP has Tanner up at https://www.vpap.org/electionresults/election-8842/map/
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1722 on: November 08, 2017, 12:59:08 PM »

It's hilarious to go back earlier in this thread and read all the panic, lol. Election day threads are so horrible. They should be closed until the polls are closed.
SoLongAtlas
VirginiaModerate
United States
« Reply #1723 on: November 08, 2017, 01:03:04 PM »

Ffx County just came in. Hugo has won by 115 votes. http://results.elections.virginia.gov/vaelections/2017%20November%20General/Site/Member%20House%20of%20Delegates%20(040).html
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1724 on: November 08, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »

Let's give it a bit.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 76  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies