VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA-GOV 2017: It's a Wave (GE: Nov 7th - Thread #2)  (Read 94649 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 06, 2017, 08:40:54 AM »

We haven't gotten a final poll from The Polling Company yet, though.

Same with Monmouth.

Don’t forget Trafalgar and Optimus!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:16 PM »
« Edited: November 06, 2017, 01:20:34 PM by We Have A Pope »

So I finally saw the Latino Victory Fund ad everyone's been freaking out about and I gotta say that not only do I fail to see anything even remotely offensive about it (the point it raises is an entirely legitimate one), I'd argue it was remarkably tame for an attack ad (and one that raised a pretty fair question; Donald Trump's certainly not done anything to suggest he has a problem with minorities being run over by white supremacists, his first impulse with Charlottsville was clearly to side with the Nazis).  It's really not even a smear, tbh.  

I'm not a fan of using the term "snowflake" to describe anyone, but if ever there was a case where the term applied, it's to people who were "offended" by that ad (all due respect to VirginiaModerate, who AFAIK is a pretty reasonable guy).  Honestly, I don't blame the Latino Victory Fund for running it and if Northam had just not commented on it, it'd probably have been treated like the nothingburger it is by most.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 03:00:31 PM »

So I finally saw the Latino Victory Fund ad everyone's been freaking out about and I gotta say that not only do I fail to see anything even remotely offensive about it (the point it raises is an entirely legitimate one), I'd argue it was remarkably tame for an attack ad (and one that raised a pretty fair question; Donald Trump's certainly not done anything to suggest he has a problem with minorities being run over by white supremacists, his first impulse with Charlottsville was clearly to side with the Nazis).  It's really not even a smear, tbh.  

I'm not a fan of using the term "snowflake" to describe anyone, but if ever there was a case where the term applied, it's to people who were "offended" by that ad (all due respect to VirginiaModerate, who AFAIK is a pretty reasonable guy).  Honestly, I don't blame the Latino Victory Fund for running it and if Northam had just not commented on it, it'd probably have been treated like the nothingburger it is by most.

It's not a matter of offense. Offense is emotional. The ad made an appeal to shifting metrics. You have to think in the eyes of GOP operatives and voters and how they would (and did) react. It was far from a nothingburger but not the worst thing ever - the truck did stop short and the video didn't have kids being run over.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I suspect a lot of that was faux outrage and that the whole controversy didn’t have much of an impact despite Northam’s incompetent handling of it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »

This thread has convinced me that the healthiest thing to do between now and 7:00 is to read for a bit, have a bite to eat, take a nap, and avoid all electronics.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:37:15 PM »

Can't fathom the Northam!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies