Assumptions that could be proven wrong in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:45:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Assumptions that could be proven wrong in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Assumptions that could be proven wrong in 2020  (Read 2314 times)
NeederNodder
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -7.28

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2017, 12:31:56 PM »

After 2012, many analysts believed that the Republicans needed to be more inclusive as a party to take back the white house. Clearly that was wrong. What assumptions similar to this could be proven wrong in 2020?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:31 PM »

The Rust Belt will have gathered its wits.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 12:57:26 PM »

Midwest will be the big area again, so pander to the WWCs!

Arizona and Florida could very well end up being the decision point instead.

Also, given how black turnout was, a bit more effort to increase it would make all the difference in Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina...that could be the ticket again too.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

Joe Biden is too old to win.

He would probably win (so far) and it would be a race between two old guys (assuming Trump and Pence aren’t both removed), so age wouldn’t be an issue.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 02:45:13 PM »

Tulsi Gabbard will never get the Democratic nomination. California will not vote for Sanders or Warren.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 03:53:46 PM »

Donald Trump will not have a serious primary challenge.
The Democrats have learned their lesson and will nominate a progressive.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 04:01:37 PM »

The Democrats have learned their lesson and will nominate a progressive.

I tend to be pretty skeptical of any "the primary voters learned Lesson X" arguments.  I'm not sure they do learn.  The conventional wisdom, for example, says that the Dem. primary voters nominating Bill Clinton in 1992 showed that they learned that they needed to run a Southern moderate and not a Northern liberal in the mold of Mondale or Dukakis.  But I think that just happened because the primary calendar that year favored the South and Clinton was the only Southern candidate in a year when there was no Jesse Jackson running to split the Southern black vote.

So while I think there's a good chance that the 2020 Dem. primary will go with a more progressive candidate, like Warren, that would happen not because of the voters having learned anything, but because of how the votes are being split among multiple candidates.  If most of the 2016 Sanders voters are going for just one candidate, while the 2016 Clinton voters are split amongst 3 or 4 candidates, then the first candidate can grind out a plurality victory.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:13 PM »

Democrats need to wrestle away WWC from Trump to take back the Electoral College. (They win in the Sun Belt and Michigan flips back because of black voters not WWC.)
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 04:05:29 PM »

1. Trump can't win re-election.
2. Trump can win re-election.
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »

-WWC voters are a loyal republican voter base that is destined to become a long term part of the GOP base.
-Suburbs and other wealthy regions will continue to trend Democrat until they become Likely D.
-Trump can avoid serious long term electoral damage from any scandal as voters will just look past his controversies.
-Democrats always underperform polling averages (this might be disproven tomorrow night)
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:18:01 PM »

Midwest will be the big area again, so pander to the WWCs!

Arizona and Florida could very well end up being the decision point instead.

Also, given how black turnout was, a bit more effort to increase it would make all the difference in Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Georgia, and North Carolina...that could be the ticket again too.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 06:28:01 PM »

- White voters will stick with Trump and Pence
- The economy will continue to boom, thus Trump's prospects
- Liberals will dominate the 2020 field and nominate someone who blows out voters in NY, CA, and the coasts but the map will be blood red for Trump across the rest of the country
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »

Here's one:

The idea that having low approval ratings tends to result in losing a re-election,.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 11:43:48 PM »

That dems need to pander to rural whites to win when slightly better black turnout due to Booker or Harris being VP and slightly better rural margins then Hil by just giving a little effort to have a presence swings the rust belt along with NC and Georgia
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2017, 12:25:03 AM »

The Democrats don't need white working class voters to win, they just need to win the sunbelt with a socially liberal economically conservative Smiley neoliberal stooge. After all, reforming our health care system and fighting income inequity won't end racism.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 12:50:33 AM »
« Edited: November 07, 2017, 12:52:22 AM by Confused Democrat »

After 2012, many analysts believed that the Republicans needed to be more inclusive as a party to take back the white house. Clearly that was wrong. What assumptions similar to this could be proven wrong in 2020?

I don't think the 2012 Republican autopsy was inaccurate. In fact, I think it was pretty dead on. They just got the timeline wrong. The Republican party is going to suffer pretty bad at the presidential level if it doesn't start moderating itself on certain issues.

The Democrats are eventually going to take Texas, Arizona, and Georgia; and if the Republican Party keeps heading in the direction its heading, I don't think they're going to prepared for the electoral slaughter house they'll be facing.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 01:12:48 AM »

I don't think the 2012 Republican autopsy was inaccurate. In fact, I think it was pretty dead on. They just got the timeline wrong. The Republican party is going to suffer pretty bad at the presidential level if it doesn't start moderating itself on certain issues.

The Democrats are eventually going to take Texas, Arizona, and Georgia; and if the Republican Party keeps heading in the direction its heading, I don't think they're going to prepared for the electoral slaughter house they'll be facing.

To some extent Trump did do this though,it's no accident that he did better than Romney on the black vote and held out on Latinos.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard will never get the Democratic nomination. California will not vote for Sanders or Warren.

Piggybacking off of this post, I would put "Tulsi Gabbard will position herself as a leftist/Bernie-style candidate if she runs." In 2013, nobody would have thought candidates like Rand Paul would be roughly in the middle of the pack when it came to policy, and would actively denounce the right wing of the party. I can see something similar happening in 2020 where the left wing of 2016 gets outflanked by some newcomers, and you have a situation where Gabbard is at a primary debate and says something like "While I believe our party should have taken a different path, no one can deny the many Democratic women, and especially women of color, who were inspired by Hillary Clinton and we will not succeed in 2020 if we try to shun them from our movement," to massive boos from the audience and chants of "Lock her up!"
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 01:35:36 AM »

To some extent Trump did do this though,it's no accident that he did better than Romney on the black vote and held out on Latinos.

That's not really anything for Republicans to brag about. Trump did the worst with minorities running against a white Democrat since Goldwater.

Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 03:03:12 AM »

That Kamala Harris is a bad candidate. Likelihood that will be proven wrong? 99% chance.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:56 AM »

Trump wasn’t running against a black candidate. At some point running up the angry white male vote won’t be enough to slip in through the Electoral College.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 03:51:36 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2017, 03:02:47 PM by pbrower2a »

-WWC voters are a loyal republican voter base that is destined to become a long term part of the GOP base.
-Suburbs and other wealthy regions will continue to trend Democrat until they become Likely D.
-Trump can avoid serious long term electoral damage from any scandal as voters will just look past his controversies.
-Democrats always underperform polling averages (this might be disproven tomorrow night)

A President who makes promises and then breaks them loses the constituency that he won  over.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 04:53:46 AM »

That the Democrats don't have any good young candidates and need to turn to septuagenarians.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 05:17:46 PM »

How much of this was due to blacks just not turning out as highly and the ones who are most likely to turn out being the black republicans
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 02:09:24 AM »

That Americans are a fundamentally decent people.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies