Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2017, 06:36:02 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Constitution and Law (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Does this situation violate the establishment clause
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: I think it definitely does
Yes   -1 (9.1%)
No   -10 (90.9%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Does this situation violate the establishment clause  (Read 359 times)
Solid4096
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P
View Profile
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:34:42 pm »
Ignore

Basically, health classes in high schools often have a sex ed unit.

I live in a county where apparently, in order for students to participate in the unit, their parents have to turn in a signed form granting permission.

Apparently, most parents who pull their students out do so out of religious objections to the activity.

I firmly believe that allowing parents to pull their children out of public education programs based on religious beliefs is a blatant violation of the establishment clause of the 1st amendment to the US Constitution; as it effectively grants special privileges to religion.

(Luckily for me, my parents are not the type that would opt their children out of stuff like this)

I never use toss ups.

Current predictions
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:13:38 pm »

Most definitely it does not. One can argue whether it is a good policy that parental beliefs are taken into consideration, but it would violate the establishment clause only if membership in specific churches were a requirement for the exemption from sex ed. Thus if only Catholic parents could pull their kids from the class, it would violate the clause, but since any parent can there is no violation. We have freedom of religion in this country, not freedom from religion, praise Athena.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
MarkD
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:36 pm »
Ignore

I vote no.

Over and over people are getting the concept of moral beliefs confused with the concept of religious beliefs. The Religion Clauses have nothing to do with morals. Legislated morality is not the same thing as legislated religion.

Rewrite the 14th Amendment!
States should have clear guidelines what laws they cannot pass, and the federal courts should have far less discretion in choosing what laws to strike down. Take away from the federal courts the power to define liberty and the power to define equality. Those are legislative powers and should be in the hands of legislators. Rewrite Section 1 of the 14th to make its meaning narrower and clearer.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:39 am »
Ignore

If that's a violation of the clause, there are hugely more egregious cases in which religious beliefs/organizations get a similar special treatment.

Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 12:27:40 am »
Ignore

Wut?

I was not anticipating Mr. Reactionary to introduce 55 pieces of legislation in the South over the past week, which is negating the rise in unemployment that should result from Irma.

Mr. Reactionary ... a well-known crypto-fascist
America's Sweetheart ❤
TexArkana
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 12:41:57 am »
Ignore

Absolutely not. I don't see how anyone could think it does.

"For it is both a great honor, and my righteous duty, to eat that booty" - Abraham Lincoln

Rest in Peace John B. Anderson (1922-2017).
FF. Great sig.
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 07:11:58 pm »

Absolutely not. I don't see how anyone could think it does.

Idiots who think we're guaranteed freedom from religion instead of freedom of religion by the establishment clause are the ones who would think so.

Quote from: Ignatius of Antioch
He that possesses the word of Jesus, is truly able to bear his very silence. Epistle to the Ephesians 3:21a
The one thing everyone can agree on is that the media is biased against them.
🕎Figueirukkah🕎
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 11:53:45 pm »
Ignore

No. It's bad, but not for that reason.

Note: I am not actually British.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout