Congressman Frank LoBiondo is retiring
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:15:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Congressman Frank LoBiondo is retiring
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Congressman Frank LoBiondo is retiring  (Read 3858 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 06:28:06 PM »

Its pretty bad for NJ republicans to go from 6-6 to 8-4 in the congressional delegation.

Could easily be 10-2 or even 11-1(!) depending on how the seats fall. Tge Demcratic party thanks the republicans for their dummymander.

No way does Frelinghuysen lose.
Despite being Appropriations Committee Chairman, he may decide to just retire rather than risk ending his career with an upset loss if the numbers don't look good.

The thing is, Trump was the worst possible Republican for that district and still carried it. It reeks of GA-06. Except even worse, because they'd be running against a long time established incumbent with a dominant cash advantage.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:52 PM »

D+1
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2017, 06:45:26 PM »

Its pretty bad for NJ republicans to go from 6-6 to 8-4 in the congressional delegation.

Could easily be 10-2 or even 11-1(!) depending on how the seats fall. Tge Demcratic party thanks the republicans for their dummymander.

I actually think Frelinghuysen's probably a goner.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »

Is he the one who got a woman fired for complaining to him, or was that Lance?

This tax bill could destroy him and Lance both, IMO. It is beyond toxic for their core R voters who love to complain about their $18,000 annual property tax bills (and that is before income tax.)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 06:59:31 PM »

This tax bill could destroy him and Lance both, IMO. It is beyond toxic for their core R voters who love to complain about their $18,000 annual property tax bills (and that is before income tax.)

That's Frelinghuysen, plus he's getting really badly out-raised.
International Brotherhood of Bernard
interstate73

« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 07:00:22 PM »

Yup, Frelinghuysen's the one who pulled that. The man's been my congressman since the second I was born and I think people are starting to tire of him, particularly with the tax bill that seems tailor-made to brutally  his constituents. If there's an area that can be knocked out of the Republican coalition by the Trumpian antics in DC, its this district, since it's highly educated, wealthy, and increasingly diverse. And since Morris is the main thing holding up the Republican coalition in NJ, if they lose it, they might even struggle to hit 30% statewide.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »

Holy s**t. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 2010 precipitated by a cavalry charge of Democratic retirements?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 07:03:25 PM »

Going to kindly suggested that perhaps one lesson you really all ought to have learned from last year is that it is not a good idea to count chickens before they hatch. It's entirely possible that the Democrats make substantial gains next year, but drop the complacency...
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »

Holy s**t. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 2010 precipitated by a cavalry charge of Democratic retirements?

11 Dems retired entirely, including some big names like Dave Obey, Bart Stupak, and Bart Gordon. 8 GOPers did.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2017, 07:19:03 PM »
« Edited: November 07, 2017, 07:21:54 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

One of the top two Congressional Democrat retirement wish list, the other being Peter King in New York. Two hyper-entrenched politicians in swing districts who wouldn't go down no matter how big a wave happened.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2017, 09:56:44 PM »

If Van Drew runs, I think we'd have to start the rating of NJ-02 out as Safe D.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2017, 11:10:19 PM »

This is not good.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2017/11/this_nj_lawmaker_is_getting_ready_to_run_for_lobio.amp

Sounds like Van Drew is in!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:17 AM »

11 Dems retired entirely, including some big names like Dave Obey, Bart Stupak, and Bart Gordon. 8 GOPers did.

It is well established that fundraising, retirements and nr of candidates running correlate with performance. And Democrats doing great on all those metrics.

That said, Al is correct that things could still change until election day. Right now it's looking fantastic though, no way around that fact.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 09:54:31 PM »

Will Van Drew have trouble in the primary? He seems pretty conservative for a Democrat.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 10:07:48 PM »

Will Van Drew have trouble in the primary? He seems pretty conservative for a Democrat.

New Jersey has by far the most insider primaries of any state. It's basically impossible to run a solo primary campaign against a single candidate who is the pick of the county party and has "the line;" you'd need a full "line" of your own to have any chance at being successful. And South Jersey in particular does not really have any institutional history of anti-party candidates. Plus, NJ-02 is not the type of area that is going to have a lot of progressive youngsters to begin with; it's pretty dreary.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »

What Boss Norcross says goes. And the Dems in this part of NJ aren't that socially liberal anyway. Van Drew fits the seat perfectly

That's about what I figured. That's good.

(Unfortunate that we can't have someone better, and the district is probably swingy enough that any Democrat can win if it's a wave, but it's good to nail the seat down so we can focus more energy elsewhere.)

Does anyone know how Phil Murphy did in this district?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies