How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:29:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory?  (Read 2817 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »

I rarely care that much about election results in general, much less governor's races in other states.  However, it is kind of weird to see just how solidly Democratic VA has become.  My aunt and uncle in NOVA talk about it like they don't even recognize the place anymore.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:45 PM »

A bit annoyed since it reinforces the wrongs that cost 2016 and 2014, and the I-81 Corridor is gonna be thrown under the bus.

...And how do you lose Nelson Co. as a Democrat? How the heck do you manage that?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 02:43:42 PM »

heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 02:48:50 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 02:51:38 PM by heatcharger »

A bit annoyed since it reinforces the wrongs that cost 2016 and 2014, and the I-81 Corridor is gonna be thrown under the bus.

...And how do you lose Nelson Co. as a Democrat? How the heck do you manage that?

Deservedly so. And Northam's only down 4 votes with provisional ballots still remaining. He could still get it.

Of course I am very glad for a number of reasons. Northam's massive coattails are gonna make Medicaid expansion, redistricting, and other electoral reforms very much possible.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 02:56:03 PM »

Virginia governor - not much of a surprise - the middle Atlantic states are quite Democrat. But in the end I could care less either way.

Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 05:04:05 PM »

I'd rather have it be Perriello, but I think this election solidifies VA's status as a blue state. Northam's better than Gillespie.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 05:59:22 PM by shua »

Very disappointed to see such strong supporters of abortion winning the top 3 state offices. The General Assembly is close enough now that they might find be able to pick off a couple Republicans to get rid of regulations on it or even actively fund it.  Also various kulturkampf crusades such as curbing religious freedom in myriad ways, prohibiting psychotherapy for gender dysphoria, and furthering the destruction of memorials to the dead, all seem much more possible than before.

A significant positive on the other hand is that I believe Northam, with the Democratic gains in the House, is in a good position to solve the Medicaid gap and get healthcare coverage for people, so long as policy at the national level doesn't get int he way. And he will be more sensitive to environmental issues than Gillespie would have been, even if not as much as Perriello.

Finally there is something to be said for a strong rebuke to Gillespie's despicable campaign and the Trump-era Republican party in general.  Maybe they will get the message.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 06:01:13 PM »

Although I'm not a Democrat, I feel that Trumpism and anyone who campaigns on a platform like that, deserve to be defeated. this is why I voted for Ralph Northam and I'm very pleased with his victory.
WilliamStone1776
Rookie
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:08 PM »

Sad, but expected. Virginia is a blue state.
Wouldn't that make it Republican on Atlas?
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »

Hallelujah
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 10:13:29 PM »

Yup, then Northam would've won by 20!

Ecstatic, obviously. Ralph Northam, while not as progressive as I would've liked, is a fundamentally decent man who will be a good governor of Virginia.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 10:48:44 PM »

Satisfaction.  Smiley
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 10:50:07 PM »

Not to mention that this was a hold in a seat that almost always votes against the President's party.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 10:52:00 PM »

It was important for the Democratic psyche that they win something. I mean, nationally. I was getting worried about the prospective mental health of some of my fellow partisans if they had lost again.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »

Deservedly so. And Northam's only down 4 votes with provisional ballots still remaining. He could still get it.

Of course I am very glad for a number of reasons. Northam's massive coattails are gonna make Medicaid expansion, redistricting, and other electoral reforms very much possible.

IMO there is no candidate that can change the direction of the party's evolving coalition overnight, or even within a couple terms. And even if we could find such a candidate, they need to become president, because those are the ones that exert the vast majority of influence over party coalitions. I have some reservations about how the party's coalition is developing and where we are headed, but it needs to be known that this is the result of generation-long trends and it's all we have right now. We might as well make use of it. People who wish the party to make more inroads with WWCs can rest assured that the party's economic agenda and upscale whites do not fit, it's more likely a small realignment of those demographics happens at some point in the future.

-

I'm indifferent to Northam, although he seems like a decent guy. I'm more enthused about what all the Democratic wins in Virginia means, namely the prospect of major election reforms, fair legislative/Congressional maps in 2021 (and maybe before?), and a slew of other policies, like Medicaid expansion.

It's also nice to see that VA's House of Delegates partisan makeup now actually looks somewhat like the state it represents, rather than its unnatural hyper-Republican bent prior to yesterday.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2017, 12:30:26 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2017, 12:33:20 AM by peenie_weenie »

I'm pretty stoked. I would have been content with a Northam 3-4 point win and a eight-seat gain in the House of Delgates, but last night was an annihilation of the VA GOP, especially the suburban whites that should have fled the party when they nominated Cuccinelli. Seeing countless thought-pieces over the last year about how the average Trump voter still supports Trump, and seeing Republican electoral success over the last seven years has made me wonder if I had gone insane and if like-minded people with my values were going extinct. This is the first time we've seen people fed-up with the state of the Republican opposition (because in a lot of places they still can't govern) reach a critical mass to swing seats and vote Republicans out of office. Seeing the revolt of the suburban white liberal exceeding expectations makes me feel like I'm not alone in a way that I didn't quite feel a week ago. I'm growing more confident about holding Senate seats in Wisconsin and Indiana and winning back Michigan and Pennsylvania in 2020.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2017, 07:01:31 AM »

Meh. It should of been Perriello who won, not some bland centrist type like Northam.

The people ov Vigrinia didn't asked your personal opinion. And they were right.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »

Could you say more about your opposition to the I-81 corridor?
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »

Too many trucks. I like driving on roads where there isn't a 20% of getting jackknifed at any moment. Plus while the Shenandoah Valley is gorgeous during the fall, I find it mostly dreary and lifeless the rest of the time.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »

Too many trucks. I like driving on roads where there isn't a 20% of getting jackknifed at any moment. Plus while the Shenandoah Valley is gorgeous during the fall, I find it mostly dreary and lifeless the rest of the time.

So it's just you don't like driving it?  I thought maybe it was a policy issue.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2017, 01:21:22 PM »

More dreary and lifeless than the flat, muggy, swampland and grassland and buildings that look so temporary and haphazardly placed [Utah also has this problem]?

Also, what's wrong with all the blossoming dogwoods in the Spring? Or the storybook depiction winter when it snows?
Unapologetic Chinaperson
nj_dem

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2017, 01:59:55 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csBaUsAySSQ
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2017, 02:14:34 PM »

I'm not particularly thrilled about Northam's victory, but I'd definitely happy about Gillespie's defeat.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:48 PM »

Very happy that Gillespie's Trumpism failed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2017, 03:58:52 PM »

Quite pleased. I like his calm temperament, and he inhibits a niche in the Dem party that could use some more representatives.  Gillespie in trying to be at once both pro Trump and anti Trump left him seemingly to be a schizoid empty suit. I am so glad that I am not him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies