How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:49:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory?  (Read 2855 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: November 09, 2017, 12:14:14 AM »

A bit annoyed since it reinforces the wrongs that cost 2016 and 2014, and the I-81 Corridor is gonna be thrown under the bus.

...And how do you lose Nelson Co. as a Democrat? How the heck do you manage that?

Deservedly so. And Northam's only down 4 votes with provisional ballots still remaining. He could still get it.

Of course I am very glad for a number of reasons. Northam's massive coattails are gonna make Medicaid expansion, redistricting, and other electoral reforms very much possible.

IMO there is no candidate that can change the direction of the party's evolving coalition overnight, or even within a couple terms. And even if we could find such a candidate, they need to become president, because those are the ones that exert the vast majority of influence over party coalitions. I have some reservations about how the party's coalition is developing and where we are headed, but it needs to be known that this is the result of generation-long trends and it's all we have right now. We might as well make use of it. People who wish the party to make more inroads with WWCs can rest assured that the party's economic agenda and upscale whites do not fit, it's more likely a small realignment of those demographics happens at some point in the future.

-

I'm indifferent to Northam, although he seems like a decent guy. I'm more enthused about what all the Democratic wins in Virginia means, namely the prospect of major election reforms, fair legislative/Congressional maps in 2021 (and maybe before?), and a slew of other policies, like Medicaid expansion.

It's also nice to see that VA's House of Delegates partisan makeup now actually looks somewhat like the state it represents, rather than its unnatural hyper-Republican bent prior to yesterday.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies