How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:08:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How do you feel about Ralph Northam's victory?  (Read 2837 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: November 08, 2017, 05:55:36 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2017, 05:59:22 PM by shua »

Very disappointed to see such strong supporters of abortion winning the top 3 state offices. The General Assembly is close enough now that they might find be able to pick off a couple Republicans to get rid of regulations on it or even actively fund it.  Also various kulturkampf crusades such as curbing religious freedom in myriad ways, prohibiting psychotherapy for gender dysphoria, and furthering the destruction of memorials to the dead, all seem much more possible than before.

A significant positive on the other hand is that I believe Northam, with the Democratic gains in the House, is in a good position to solve the Medicaid gap and get healthcare coverage for people, so long as policy at the national level doesn't get int he way. And he will be more sensitive to environmental issues than Gillespie would have been, even if not as much as Perriello.

Finally there is something to be said for a strong rebuke to Gillespie's despicable campaign and the Trump-era Republican party in general.  Maybe they will get the message.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »

A bit annoyed since it reinforces the wrongs that cost 2016 and 2014, and the I-81 Corridor is gonna be thrown under the bus.

...And how do you lose Nelson Co. as a Democrat? How the heck do you manage that?

Deservedly so. And Northam's only down 4 votes with provisional ballots still remaining. He could still get it.

Of course I am very glad for a number of reasons. Northam's massive coattails are gonna make Medicaid expansion, redistricting, and other electoral reforms very much possible.

Could you say more about your opposition to the I-81 corridor?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 01:15:22 PM »

Could you say more about your opposition to the I-81 corridor?

Too many trucks. I like driving on roads where there isn't a 20% of getting jackknifed at any moment. Plus while the Shenandoah Valley is gorgeous during the fall, I find it mostly dreary and lifeless the rest of the time.

So it's just you don't like driving it?  I thought maybe it was a policy issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies