Is David Brat (VA-7) vulnerable in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:17:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is David Brat (VA-7) vulnerable in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is David Brat (VA-7) vulnerable in 2018?  (Read 1127 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:53:09 PM »
« edited: November 08, 2017, 12:54:57 PM by Çråbçæk »

Following Northam's near win of this district, should Dems try and make a play for it? Especially as he is quite the conservative, of both the Tea Party and proto-Trumpist (his win over Cantor was over immigration iirc) and this district seems to be one that is less favourable to those sorts.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 02:17:33 PM »

Well it would certainly be nice to have good wave insurance here. I think it's possible Democrats could win it but I don't think likely, at least for right now.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 02:19:37 PM »

If there's one thing the VA HoD races show, it's that Democrats should at least try to run for everything, even if it appears that victory is highly unlikely. If a DSA candidate can win a reach Republican seat, it's at least worth trying for plausibly competitive congressional seats.
Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:39:17 PM »

I doubt they knock him off, but they should contest the seat.
_
Not_Madigan
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: -7.74

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »

Whether or not he's vulnerable, putting up a decent candidate never hurts.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 03:00:08 PM »

Dave Brat is one of my favorite Republicans.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 03:24:14 PM »

It's definitely going to be on the radar, but it's not a seat I'd expect to see flip.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 04:26:16 PM »

Wave insurance.

However, it looks like dems have at least a 50% chance of a trifecta before 2020 now with both chambers near tied. If they get it, expect this seat to undergo a radical redraw. I have been able to get it up to D+5.3, while still looking nice, through using White Richmond and Henrico, Bits of chesterfield, Charlottesville, and then letting it continue its current path north along I95 to Fredricksburg and Prince William.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 04:54:25 PM »

Wave insurance.

However, it looks like dems have at least a 50% chance of a trifecta before 2020 now with both chambers near tied. If they get it, expect this seat to undergo a radical redraw. I have been able to get it up to D+5.3, while still looking nice, through using White Richmond and Henrico, Bits of chesterfield, Charlottesville, and then letting it continue its current path north along I95 to Fredricksburg and Prince William.

Absolutely.   This district would be sooooooo easy for Dems to gerrymander.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:12:41 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 05:14:36 PM by AKCreative »

Wave insurance.

Absolutely.   This district would be sooooooo easy for Dems to gerrymander.

Is there a way to make a D-leaning (or likely D) VA-02 and VA-07 without endangering McEachin?

Seems kinda iffy to me

Definitely,  currently Albemarle and Charlottesville are both wasted in VA-5,  move those to VA-7 and take out some of the rural GOP areas from VA-7 and that with the Richmond suburbs would be enough to flip the district without affecting VA-4 at all.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 05:52:19 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 05:57:00 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

Wave insurance.

Is there a way to make a D-leaning (or likely D) VA-02 and VA-07 without endangering McEachin?

Seems kinda iffy to me

Definitely,  currently Albemarle and Charlottesville are both wasted in VA-5,  move those to VA-7 and take out some of the rural GOP areas from VA-7 and that with the Richmond suburbs would be enough to flip the district without affecting VA-4 at all.

Except I'm not sure how that could avoid a shift to VA-4's lines. You would almost certainly need to shift VA-5 to eat pretty significantly into VA-4 since VA-5 would lose its entire top appendage with VA-7 cutting it off. That's a lot of lost population. Maybe VA-5 could take in Roanoke and then VA-6 could take in the former top "antenna" of VA-5? Would that actually work as a tradeoff? If it doesn't, VA-5 would have to shift east into VA-4.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 06:00:53 PM »

Wave insurance.

Seems kinda iffy to me

Charlottesville is the key. There's room for one more D district (beyond VA-02 and VA-10) in a fair map of Virginia without changing any of the Democratic districts much as long as Charlottesville is matched with less Republican areas than it is now.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:10:36 PM »

Except I'm not sure how that could avoid a shift to VA-4's lines. You would almost certainly need to shift VA-5 to eat pretty significantly into VA-4 since VA-5 would lose its entire top appendage with VA-7 cutting it off. That's a lot of lost population. Maybe VA-5 could take in Roanoke and then VA-6 could take in the former top "antenna" of VA-5? Would that actually work as a tradeoff? If it doesn't, VA-5 would have to shift east into VA-4.

Sure, move VA-6 north into Frederick since VA-10 is overpopulated anyway, and then move VA-5 west into VA-6.   VA-9 will have to expand also since it's underpopulated, so it's only natural you move VA-6 northward to some extent.  

There's also that southern tail of VA-7 that can be dropped into VA-5 as well.   I don't think it'd be that difficult.

Whatever they do, it can't possibly look worse than what VA-5 is right now, that district is just horrendous.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 07:38:23 PM »

Sure, move VA-6 north into Frederick since VA-10 is overpopulated anyway, and then move VA-5 west into VA-6.   VA-9 will have to expand also since it's underpopulated, so it's only natural you move VA-6 northward to some extent.  

There's also that southern tail of VA-7 that can be dropped into VA-5 as well.   I don't think it'd be that difficult.

Whatever they do, it can't possibly look worse than what VA-5 is right now, that district is just horrendous.

I completely forgot about VA-10's western tail. You could definitely do a tradeoff between VA-6 and VA-5 with that in mind.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies