Will the VA landslide set off a panic and a stampede of GOP retirements? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:18:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will the VA landslide set off a panic and a stampede of GOP retirements? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will the VA landslide set off a panic and a stampede of GOP retirements?  (Read 3278 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: November 08, 2017, 12:08:57 PM »

The statewide races were not landslides by any means. The legislative losses were almost exclusively in NOVA, so I would presume some Clinton-Suburban Republicans might consider that when determining whether to run for reelection. While tonight was not good, it isn't time to sound the alarm that 2018 is going to be wave. If Trump cuts taxes, suburbanites will come home.

trump was never 'home' for suburbanites lol

In Virginia?  Sure.  Across the country?  Come on.  There are tons of states where Trump won the suburban vote, and exit polls say he won it nationally.  VA's suburbs, however, seem to only be becoming more Democratic.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 12:17:53 PM »
« Edited: November 08, 2017, 12:52:39 PM by Brittain33 »

The statewide races were not landslides by any means. The legislative losses were almost exclusively in NOVA, so I would presume some Clinton-Suburban Republicans might consider that when determining whether to run for reelection. While tonight was not good, it isn't time to sound the alarm that 2018 is going to be wave. If Trump cuts taxes, suburbanites will come home.

In Virginia?  Sure.  Across the country?  Come on.  There are tons of states where Trump won the suburban vote, and exit polls say he won it nationally.  VA's suburbs, however, seem to only be becoming more Democratic.

I think we all know what kind of suburbs he's talking about. Aka-probably not the wealthy college-educated white suburbs that you seem convinced are still the GOP core

I'm convinced of a lot less than your posts seem to suggest.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »

I'm not saying they aren't trending D (ofcourse they are with Trump's virulent anti-intellectualism), but parts NoVa (and specifically Fairfax/Arlington) are different from the other wealthy suburbs. A lot of wealthy places voted for Gillespie or Guadagno btw, and the wealthy still were Gillespie's strongest group according to the CNN exit polls.

SHHHHHH. Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 01:15:17 PM »

In Virginia?  Sure.  Across the country?  Come on.  There are tons of states where Trump won the suburban vote, and exit polls say he won it nationally.  VA's suburbs, however, seem to only be becoming more Democratic.

I think we all know what kind of suburbs he's talking about. Aka-probably not the wealthy college-educated white suburbs that you seem convinced are still the GOP core

I'm convinced of a lot less than your obsessive, annoying-as-all-hell posts seem to suggest.
I think you like to move the goalpost on what is a suburb by saying northerners are migrating or minorities are bring down wealth. You kind of make it seem like suburbs that vote Democrat are now part of giant extended inner city and suburbs are wherever Republican win by double digits.

That's not my intent.  I have pointed out, on occasion, that your wealthy, White suburbs farther away from the city are still pretty Republican in a lot of the country, and your more diverse, inner suburbs (many still quite wealthy, too) are usually more Democratic, and I think this isn't brought up enough (it's a lot easier to lazily say, "suburban County X voted for Bush by 30 points and voted against Trump by 10, those voters must have become Democrats" as if it were the exact same place in 2000 that it is now).  I have never really denied a very significant shift away from the GOP among many White suburbanites, though.  Part of that is Millennials being more likely to have a college degree and moving into those areas (i.e., "College Whites" are not this static group of people, and you can't compare "College Whites" in 2008 to "College Whites" now and REALLY determine how many voters are changing their minds/leaving which parties that well), but there has undeniably been a big shift in many former GOP voters to the Democrats ... I just find it funny when people act like this is now some reliably Democratic group, as it is at best a tossup cohort right now.

As for "moving the goalposts," I don't think that's what I am doing.  If Trump doesn't run for re-election and a Kasich-type gets demolished in suburban areas that used to go Republican, I would admit I was wrong like any reasonable person...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies