CA-Gov: Bill Clinton to Run in California?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:54:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA-Gov: Bill Clinton to Run in California?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: CA-Gov: Bill Clinton to Run in California?  (Read 5522 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 29, 2005, 05:12:20 PM »

From the San Francisco Examiner's PJ Corkery:

Forget Robin Williams, forget Rob Reiner … the superstar that big money Los Angeles Democrats want to run for governor of California is … Bill Clinton. Yep. Some of the Southland's deepest Democratic pockets are busily trying to persuade — some would say "hire" — Clinton to move to the Golden State and take on Schwarzenegger. They figure that Bubba can beat the faltering Terminator here in 2006 in a New York minute.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2005, 06:12:52 PM »

Who will have more sex scandals?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 06:18:56 PM »

California gets weirder and weirder.

I was just going to make a comment on the Clintons becoming total carpetbaggers, seeing as it doesn't matter where these Arkansans move to, but then I realized where Arnie comes from.......
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 06:20:44 PM »

My own personal view is that Schwarzenegger is a one term wonder.

He won on his name recognition and his celebrity status, and on people's disgust with Davis, and on the lack of credible opposition to his candidacy.

A credible Democrat would terminate Arnold in the next race for Governor.

Bill Clinton and Arnold Schwarzenegger should get along well, however, given their similar disgusting backgrounds and behavior.

Bill Clinton might be seen as a carpetbagger by some, but it worked for Hillary in New York.

I highly doubt, however, that Bill Clinton would ever be running for Guv of the Golden State, or any other state for that matter.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 06:21:22 PM »

Well, by that logic, almost everyone is a carpetbagger. Who lives in the same place all their life?

I tend to think of a carpetbagger politician as someone who moves purely to run for office somewhere (Hillary, Keyes, etc.).
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 06:26:33 PM »

I don't think Bill wants to run for office again.  I don't see why he would.

That said, if he runs, he wins.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 07:04:40 PM »

cool, but doesn't he want to be UN Secretary General?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 07:05:47 PM »

cool, but doesn't he want to be UN Secretary General?

That's what I thought.  That's probably why he was supporting Kerry.  Wink
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2005, 07:09:17 PM »

What is this?  Does somebody just yell CHANGE PLACES and every single politician in the country moves?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 10:42:53 PM »

My own personal view is that Schwarzenegger is a one term wonder.

He won on his name recognition and his celebrity status, and on people's disgust with Davis, and on the lack of credible opposition to his candidacy.

A credible Democrat would terminate Arnold in the next race for Governor.

Bill Clinton and Arnold Schwarzenegger should get along well, however, given their similar disgusting backgrounds and behavior.

Bill Clinton might be seen as a carpetbagger by some, but it worked for Hillary in New York.

I highly doubt, however, that Bill Clinton would ever be running for Guv of the Golden State, or any other state for that matter.

I don't quite understand your anti-Arnold attitude.  A simple examination of the record shows him to be the most successful Governor in America, which is why the Wall Street Journal in its survey of Governors economic policies ranked Arnold #1 in America.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 11:05:57 PM »

If this is true, Arnold is TOAST.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 08:00:33 AM »
« Edited: August 30, 2005, 09:47:28 AM by nickshepDEM »

I don't quite understand your anti-Arnold attitude.  A simple examination of the record shows him to be the most successful Governor in America, which is why the Wall Street Journal in its survey of Governors economic policies ranked Arnold #1 in America.

That survery if I recall correctly was based soley on which Governors cut taxes and which didnt.  Virginia was rated the best managed state in the nation by The Governor Magizine, but Governor Warner received only a C rating from the WSJ.  Id also like to hear your arguement as to how Arnold is the most successful Governor in the country.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 10:19:11 AM »

The Clintons have a very succesful carpetbagging history so far... may as well continue that trend
MissCatholic

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 11:18:39 AM »

It would just kill any Republican movement in CA.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 07:30:41 PM »

I'm not sure a carpetbagger could win, but it's certainly worked before, and Clinton is a big enough joke to run too.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 09:17:23 PM »

That survery if I recall correctly was based soley on which Governors cut taxes and which didnt.  Virginia was rated the best managed state in the nation by The Governor Magizine, but Governor Warner received only a C rating from the WSJ.  Id also like to hear your arguement as to how Arnold is the most successful Governor in the country.

Arnold took a $22 billion deficit, the largest in the history of state government in any state, and has balanced the budget completely in just two years.  He's cut the unemployment rate here from 7% to 5% in the same time frame.  He's cut taxes.  He's boosted education spending to an all time high.

That's why I say he's the most succesful Governor in America.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2005, 09:22:29 PM »

He did all that and his approve rating is in the low 40s? How did that happen?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2005, 09:27:36 PM »

Its typical for Governors here to have low ratings a year out from re-election.

In 1994, everybody though Pete Wilson was done, that Kathleen Brown was a shoo-in for Governor.  Didn't turn out that way.  Pete latched onto immigration reform and won re-election.

In 2002, everybody though Davis was done.  Then he sabotaged Riordan's campaign and beat Bill Simon.  Pat Brown in 1962 had low ratings, that's why Nixon thought it was a good idea to run for Governor.

Davis, Wilson, and Brown all had ratings in the low 30s at this point.  That Arnold is at 40% or so during the cyclical low point in a Governor's poll numbers while special interest groups are spending millions on TV and radio ads lying about Arnold's special election initiaves (mostly public employee unions against having the state government employee pension system privatized) is a testament to his strength.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2005, 09:47:56 PM »

If Bill Clinton challenges Arnold Schwarzenegger for Californian governor, it will officially become the weirdest race I've ever lived through.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2005, 09:56:41 PM »

If Bill Clinton challenges Arnold Schwarzenegger for Californian governor, it will officially become the weirdest race I've ever lived through.

A better word would be 'most unlikely'
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2005, 05:04:17 PM »

Its typical for Governors here to have low ratings a year out from re-election.

In 1994, everybody though Pete Wilson was done, that Kathleen Brown was a shoo-in for Governor. Didn't turn out that way. Pete latched onto immigration reform and won re-election.

In 2002, everybody though Davis was done. Then he sabotaged Riordan's campaign and beat Bill Simon. Pat Brown in 1962 had low ratings, that's why Nixon thought it was a good idea to run for Governor.

Davis, Wilson, and Brown all had ratings in the low 30s at this point. That Arnold is at 40% or so during the cyclical low point in a Governor's poll numbers while special interest groups are spending millions on TV and radio ads lying about Arnold's special election initiaves (mostly public employee unions against having the state government employee pension system privatized) is a testament to his strength.

So what do you think his chances are at re-election?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 05:34:24 PM »
« Edited: August 31, 2005, 05:39:56 PM by nickshepDEM »

Arnold took a $22 billion deficit, the largest in the history of state government in any state, and has balanced the budget completely in just two years.  He's cut the unemployment rate here from 7% to 5% in the same time frame.  He's cut taxes.  He's boosted education spending to an all time high.

That's why I say he's the most succesful Governor in America.

Didnt he 'fix' the defecit simply by borrowing the money, which will cost the state more in the long run?

I know he cut the car tax, but what else?

Arent college tuition and book prices at an all time high?

By the way, what are your thoughts on Proposition 13?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2005, 05:39:10 PM »

I'm quite sure he didn't create any jobs. If he did, I'm sure they suck. Most government jobs do.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2005, 05:39:38 PM »

Your right I read that wrong.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2005, 05:41:16 PM »

If Democrats want Clinton, that means they realize how unlikely it is they will beat Arnold. Crazy fern thinks he personally could beat him, but the reality is that California has a number of problems not of Arnold's doing.

The CA legislature has very low approval ratings I would imagine... but I don't see anyone predicting a GOP takeover there.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies