Freeform election game (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:25:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Freeform election game (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Freeform election game  (Read 7969 times)
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: November 09, 2017, 08:26:46 AM »
« edited: November 15, 2017, 08:42:52 AM by Peebs »

ISOTing the 2048 me back 20 years and stealing Jeff Jackson's career because I'm lazy.

Name: Emily Peebleton (D-NC)

Born: June 20, 1981 (age 43)

Ideology: A Sherrod Brown type

Family:
Betty Brown (wife, m. January 7, 2006, b. July 12, 1976 (age 48))
Alison Peebleton-Brown (daughter, b. October 31, 2006 (age 18))
Sam Peebleton-Brown (son, b. October 31, 2006 (age 18))

Offices:
Class 2 Senator from North Carolina: 2021 - present
State Senator from NC-37: 2014 - 2021

Biography:
Emily Charlotte Peebleton was born in Worcester, Massachusetts on June 20, 1981. The daughter of a store manager and a warehouse worker, she moved to Charlotte, North Carolina at the age of 12. In August 1999, shortly after her 18th birthday and graduation from high school, Peebleton came out as transgender and began transitioning.

In September of that year, Peebleton attended UNC Charlotte and began working on Mike Easley's gubernatorial campaign. On Easley's campaign is where Peebleton would meet Betty Brown, who she would marry at Niagara Falls in January 2006, shortly after the couple decided to have children, who would be named Sam and Alison on Halloween of that year. Becoming notable among the North Carolina Democratic Party, and especially among Mecklenburg Democrats, Peebleton drew positive comparisons to the late Mo Udall.

Following the appointment of Dan Clodfelter as Mayor of Charlotte in April 2014, Mecklenburg Democrats selected the 32-year-old Peebleton to replace him, making her the first openly transgender state legislator. Peebleton also gained national attention in February 2015 when she was the only legislator to show up on a snow day. News outlets briefly considered Peebleton a potential candidate against Senator Richard Burr or even Governor Pat McCrory should Attorney General Roy Cooper not run, but she declined in favor of running for a second full term in the State Senate, which she won with ease.

In 2020, Peebleton did run for Senate, and, as then-Senator Warren narrowly carried the state, so did she, becoming the first trans woman to serve in the U.S. Senate. Although Peebleton has remained supportive of President Warren despite her shift to the center in office, she intends to run to the left of the President's track record, in an attempt to mollify Progressives and keep the left united. Although Peebleton is also running as a staunch small-p progressive, her views are somewhat more pragmatic than those of fellow small-p progressive Palmer.

EDIT: Changed a few things.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 05:27:25 PM »

PoD must be pretty early (NM-04 being a thing in 2015, as well as someone born in 1999 being able to be elected Congressman/Governor/President in 2014/2018/2024), eh, Sam?
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 08:18:56 PM »

11:30 AM
On a Friday
Specifically, January 13, 2023
Washington, DC

During a press conference today, Senator Emily Peebleton (D-NC) announced that she had formed an exploratory committee for a potential bid to succeed Elizabeth Warren for the Presidency in 2024.

Peebleton, 41, has reportedly been selected by President Warren to serve as Senate floor manager for the Glass-Steagall Act, and has been a common target for recruitment by the Progressive Party. However, today, Peebleton announced that she would not be joining the Progressive Party, instead opting to try pushing her own party leftward, stating that a divided left going into next year's election could spell a Republican landslide. At the press conference, Peebleton also discussed legislative affairs, namely the reintroductions of Glass-Steagall and the Gold Standard.

Since the press release, it has been speculated that Peebleton will announce her decision regarding a presidential run by March 31. This has yet to be confirmed and a specific date for the announcement has yet to be set.

Transcript of today's press release:

"Good morning! Before we get started, I would like to announce that I will not be joining the Progressive Party. It's nice to be wanted, but I'm a Democrat, and I still have faith in my party. Besides, with the Presidential election coming up next year, a left-wing split could lead to a Republican landslide, and I'm sure none of us want that." [laughter from audience]

"On another note, I've heard rumors suggesting that I've formed an exploratory committee for the election I just mentioned. I'm proud to announce that these rumors are true. I am indeed weighing a bid for the Presidency. But enough about me, let's talk about what's going on on the Senate floor. First and foremost, the reinstatement of the Glass-Steagall Act. I'm glad the bill has passed the scrutiny of the House, and I'll be proud to cast my vote in favor of it later this month.

Also of interest, the reinstatement of the gold standard. Although I respect Senators Palmer and Paul, I have to admit, I find the gold standard to be contradictory to the effects the reinstatement of Glass-Steagall would have, and, as such, plan to vote against its reintroduction when it reaches the Senate floor. That's all for today, everybody. You've been great!"

(It's not as good as Cactus's thing, but I tried)
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 07:20:54 PM »

Also, if MAINEiac is angling a bid for '24, being born in '90 was a mistake.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 09:23:31 PM »

Hence why I said "if".
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:02:44 PM »

Aye!