Direction of the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:28:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Direction of the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: (Republicans or center-right only) After their rout tonight, what should Republicans do next?
Wow, we really screwed up.  Trump is destroying the center-right.  Let's work with Democrats to accomplish something.

Nothing.  Everything is fine, Gillespie was a bad candidate, nothing to see here!

We haven't kept our promises.  Build the Wall, prosecute Hillary, and the voters will return to us.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Direction of the Republican Party  (Read 1100 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

I will grant that passing tax reform would be a net positive for republicans heading into 2018, but it's not because tax reform represents Trumpism, but instead because tax reform has energized republicans for decades. Same goes for making ObamaCare more conservative - republicans have hated health care reform since the days of HillaryCare.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:34 PM »

I will grant that passing tax reform would be a net positive for republicans heading into 2018, but it's not because tax reform represents Trumpism, but instead because tax reform has energized republicans for decades. Same goes for making ObamaCare more conservative - republicans have hated health care reform more government intervention in healthcare since the days of HillaryCare.

Fixed it.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 09:08:00 PM »

If Hillary had won, we would have more conservative legislation being passed than we do right now.  Does anyone disagree?  A Republican Congress and Hillary (the true conservative version) would have accomplished so much.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 09:18:52 PM »

If Hillary had won, we would have more conservative legislation being passed than we do right now.  Does anyone disagree?  A Republican Congress and Hillary (the true conservative version) would have accomplished so much.

I don't know if bickering for 4+ years constitutes having "accomplished so much."
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2017, 02:36:20 AM »

Anyone who thinks that running a campaign remotely like Gillespie's is a reasonable path to victory in any competitive race is doing nothing but lying to themselves. What happened tonight was a representation of a very clear message - the country hates Trumpism. You can abandon it, or you can say hello to Speaker Pelosi. Your choice, GOP.

Yes, because Democrats are scared to death about running against tax cuts for billionaires and people being kicked off their healthcare to die in the street. Roll Eyes

The country hates Trump, but it wants a moderate economic agenda, which Ryan and the Movement Conservative establishment is incapable of delivering.

In fact, Democrats gaining control of the House will not get rid of Trumpism or Trump. It will get rid of Paul Ryan though.

Yet if you suggest the GOP adopt a more moderate economic platform while ALSO toning down the cultural conservatism and intolerant rhetoric, you are absolutely obliterated on this site for being a caricature of the Romney-Clinton voter whose voice is not wanted in the party.  Big tents are big on both ends.

Look in 2012, the neocons didn't even want to contemplate that anyone could have a different view on how to do foreign policy, and Romney embraced them completely. Trump didn't do that, he rejected Iraq and even went so far as to blame Bush for 911 and still won SC and still won the primaries. And his second place rival, also ran on more of a Jacksonian FP as well.

It takes time to evolve a party and in its current state and it is shaking off its doctrinaire establishment, which has grown out of touch. Also, you don't just jump to a set of views and expect people to follow. You zig zag your way there.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 02:40:32 AM »

I agree with the general consensus here that a mix between 1 and 3 is the answer. Republicans should try to work with Democrats on issues where some common ground can be found, such as immigration and middle class tax cuts.

However, I've been far more bothered by an inability of Republicans in DC to keep their promises, such as repealing ObamaCare, scrapping the Iran deal, and building the wall than I have been with a lack of bipartisanship. Keeping these promises would fire up the base and help put up a more unified front against impassioned Democratic voters.

You will never get a wall through the Senate, because Lindsay Graham, John McCain, Susan Collins, Thom Tillis, and Lisa Murkowski are committed to comprehensive Immigration Reform and will insist that McConnell not put up any tough votes on pieces of this issue, lest it poison the well with Dick Durbin and Chuck Schumer.

I said a few days ago, that McConnell should take the Wall, and getting rid of the Visa Lottery, pair with DACA and put it up for a vote and dare the Dems to vote it down. But like I said that will never happen, because of the above Senators.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 02:41:15 AM »

I don't understand why, on the internet, the Republican party is ruled by fedora virgins from 4chan lol

The Republican Party is ruled by his present dominant demographics.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2017, 02:44:18 AM »

I will grant that passing tax reform would be a net positive for republicans heading into 2018, but it's not because tax reform represents Trumpism, but instead because tax reform has energized republicans for decades. Same goes for making ObamaCare more conservative - republicans have hated health care reform since the days of HillaryCare.

If Republicans pass a Bush style tax cut, then Nancy Pelosi really will be Speaker. And next Republican Speaker will likely be a economically moderate populist 10 years or 15 years from now, who was a big Trump supporter in 2016 and has found out how to adapt that message into a mainstream one.

But Bushism, Neoconservativism and Movement Conservatism as we have known it, will be well on the sunny side of dead.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2017, 02:46:46 AM »

No, between the Freedom Caucus, the Hastert rule, Ted Cruz and the filibuster, you would have had gridlock. You also would have open borders, a 5-4 liberal Supreme Court and a Republican Party just as divided and leaderless as it is now.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2017, 04:53:52 AM »

If Republicans pass a Bush style tax cut, then Nancy Pelosi really will be Speaker. And next Republican Speaker will likely be a economically moderate populist 10 years or 15 years from now, who was a big Trump supporter in 2016 and has found out how to adapt that message into a mainstream one.

But Bushism, Neoconservativism and Movement Conservatism as we have known it, will be well on the sunny side of dead.

Honestly, it just feels like you are pushing for your desired type of GOP.

Some liberal once said something like "if you hate the religious right, just wait until you see the non-religious right".  That's basically what Trumpism is, and I really want to go back!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2017, 11:51:16 AM »

Honestly, it just feels like you are pushing for your desired type of GOP.

Some liberal once said something like "if you hate the religious right, just wait until you see the non-religious right".  That's basically what Trumpism is, and I really want to go back!

It wasn’t a liberal that said that.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies