What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:45:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare?  (Read 1045 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 04:04:03 PM »

So you think I am a bigot because I am an economic/Reaganite conservative . Tell me exactly which position of ours is bigoted .
You're not a movement conservative, just a fiscal conservative, which means you're not necessarily bigoted but you are a foot soldier of multinationals who don't give a f**k about you and me.

Apart from that I do not have much to add to what Sanchez and Lechasseur have said -- for now.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 04:10:45 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2017, 02:59:26 AM by DavidB. »

Let me add that I consider myself to be a national conservative, which means that the preservation and wellbeing of one's nation is the main political priority (and that the nation has the right to govern itself; the nation should be the level on which policy-making should take place). A nation is more than just a big number of people randomly living in a certain area. It is a group of people that is historically connected through ancestry, history, culture, traditions, language, etc., a group that is worth preserving. One can derive from this that every individual in the group deserves good, humane healthcare, even if income differences are natural and, to a certain extent (decided by the nation), legitimate.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 04:17:39 PM »

No one who advocates for universal healthcare is a conservative. Period.
Ironically, you're not a conservative. You're a classical liberal (you aren't actually, in reality you're more of an economic nihilist with insincerely held religious beliefs as a mask of your bigotry) who has no actual understanding as to what conservatism means.

Conservativism is a cheap word for the right's pre-Trump emotional politics. Conservatism between Reagan and Trump degenerated into a lifestyle, not an ideology.

Is there any evidence that the poster you quoted is a bigot?

People call me and Sanchez bigots without any evidence all the time.

Except the part where you said you wanted to nuke two entire countries. Then when called on it, you basically admitted, 'yeah, I'm a bad person.' But now you go and try to bash other people over the head with "if America wasn't 12% black health care, evil bigot." Hypocrite.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »

That it will increase job growth.

Health insurances is one of the biggest expenditures for businesses, especially small businesses. Take away one of their biggest expenses, more opportunities for growth.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »

That it will increase job growth.

Health insurances is one of the biggest expenditures for businesses, especially small businesses. Take away one of their biggest expenses, more opportunities for growth.

Agreed
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »

While several mention 'classical liberal' I think of the definition of classical liberal being one close to the one as seen in the picture of the 'classical liberal starter pack' on my profile - which I saw at Occupy Democrats Logic.

Admittedly I like a good deal of the sentiments & people with some reservations but don't find not a lot of sophisticated economic back & forth in these views especially in the lower end with Milo, Crowder and so on.  

It's more of a cultural debate like seriously having reservations with SJWs, postmodernism, third wave feminism, Antifa, etc.

On the high end you have Hitch, Peterson.
In the middle the long-form dialog YouTubers like Rogan and Rubin.
On the low end the provocateurs like Milo, Sargon, Paul Joseph Watson, Crowder, Shapiro

On the other side of the coin, Ludwig von Mises called himself a liberal in the spirit of those like Bastiat - refined as classical liberal with the American left taking the statist direction in the early 20th century. He obviously was very much discussing economics but unlike a number of his followers like Murray Rothbard did not call for the complete elimination of the state. Rand and her acolytes largely agreed with Mises on many economic points - gold standard, eliminate fractional reserve banking, have minimal state with limited taxation. Thus in many respects the issues of economics were largely settled as long as they did not discuss the courts, police, or military.

F. A. Hayek was a direct follower of Mises and you could say he very much spoke on economic issues - business cycle theory and being a counter to Keynes. He was one fork off the Mises line. He also held appeal among the cultural classical liberals for his work The Road to Serfdom which was a well-regarded put-down of central planning in both the far left states like the Soviet Union and the authoritarian third way of the fascist states in Germany and Italy. His book is not so far off the feeling one gets from reading Gulag Archipelago - though the latter is decidedly less formal in its set up.

It seems the 'classical liberals' were labeled pejoratively as 'neoliberals' particularly the closer one got to Margaret Thatcher or Reagan (like Hayek & Milton Friedman) yet this label also referred to Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and the Dems who courted big business and accepted certain levels of deregulation.

So it really depends on the view of what classical liberalism is. I think the top category from the starter pack and to an extent the second category from the 'starter pack' list generally follow the 'gentlemanly/civilized' way to their views similar to how Mises tried to present his own views all those years ago. It's that third category who don't give a sh!t that are the difference and are really  not very close to the other view of classical liberalism that is seen.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: November 08, 2017, 04:31:16 PM »

Ironically, you're not a conservative. You're a classical liberal (you aren't actually, in reality you're more of an economic nihilist with insincerely held religious beliefs as a mask of your bigotry) who has no actual understanding as to what conservatism means.

Conservativism is a cheap word for the right's pre-Trump emotional politics. Conservatism between Reagan and Trump degenerated into a lifestyle, not an ideology.

Except the part where you said you wanted to nuke two entire countries. Then when called on it, you basically admitted, 'yeah, I'm a bad person.' But now you go and try to bash other people over the head with "if America wasn't 12% black health care, evil bigot." Hypocrite.

I never bashed people for being bigots. I merely pointed out that they were.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2017, 04:32:26 PM »

They are far less bigoted than you are.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2017, 04:33:44 PM »

Even Hitler was less bigoted than me, according to you, so I don't really see a reason to dispute your claim.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2017, 04:35:18 PM »

Even Hitler was less bigoted than me, according to you, so I don't really see a reason to dispute your claim.

You said that Japan and South Korea deserve to be nuked. That obviously includes babies and children, who could not have possibly done anything to merit the award, other than being born of the wrong heritage. What is one supposed to make of that?
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2017, 05:00:40 PM »

I am sorry I have given Colonel Sanchez the impression that my religious beliefs are illy held. They are not and they are of an intensely personal nature to me. I would appreciate respect about my values, as I respect the religious views or lack thereof that other members of this forum choose for their life (even if I disagree).
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2017, 07:56:10 PM »

I've written "Opposition to universal healthcare is anti-white" on /pol/ to fck with them.  Does that count?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2017, 07:58:22 PM »

I mean, if one has a particularly Utopian mindset you could imagine a free market way to provide universal health coverage (remember, the phrase doesn't necessarily mean "the government pays for everything").
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2017, 01:30:47 PM »

So you think I am a bigot because I am an economic/Reaganite conservative . Tell me exactly which position of ours is bigoted .
You're not a movement conservative, just a fiscal conservative, which means you're not necessarily bigoted but you are a foot soldier of multinationals who don't give a f**k about you and me.

Apart from that I do not have much to add to what Sanchez and Lechasseur have said -- for now.

I would say if someone is a Reagan/Thatcher Conservative they are a movement conservative.

A Movement Conservative believes in these things:

- Lower tax rates spur economic growth

- Doesnt support over regulatory policies

- Free Trade in General(There are some exceptions of course as even Reagan imposed tariffs on Japan)

- Doesnt believe unions should be as powerful as they were in the 60s and 70s

- Opposes government run industries in general

- Believes we can lower housing costs by increasing supply

- Believes High Skilled Immigration is good for a country

- Believes in the foreign policy doctrine of peace through strength

- They are Pro Life

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies