What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:22:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are conservative arguments for universal healthcare?  (Read 1068 times)
vanguard96
United States

« on: November 08, 2017, 03:01:27 PM »

This is why I don't like the Bill Weld-types in our party who position themselves socially liberal/tolerant and fiscally conservative. He's like Hillary, he just won't go away.

Go back to the GOP, and there the Northeastern moderate Republican views will be more widely accepted.

vanguard96
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 04:30:14 PM »

While several mention 'classical liberal' I think of the definition of classical liberal being one close to the one as seen in the picture of the 'classical liberal starter pack' on my profile - which I saw at Occupy Democrats Logic.

Admittedly I like a good deal of the sentiments & people with some reservations but don't find not a lot of sophisticated economic back & forth in these views especially in the lower end with Milo, Crowder and so on.  

It's more of a cultural debate like seriously having reservations with SJWs, postmodernism, third wave feminism, Antifa, etc.

On the high end you have Hitch, Peterson.
In the middle the long-form dialog YouTubers like Rogan and Rubin.
On the low end the provocateurs like Milo, Sargon, Paul Joseph Watson, Crowder, Shapiro

On the other side of the coin, Ludwig von Mises called himself a liberal in the spirit of those like Bastiat - refined as classical liberal with the American left taking the statist direction in the early 20th century. He obviously was very much discussing economics but unlike a number of his followers like Murray Rothbard did not call for the complete elimination of the state. Rand and her acolytes largely agreed with Mises on many economic points - gold standard, eliminate fractional reserve banking, have minimal state with limited taxation. Thus in many respects the issues of economics were largely settled as long as they did not discuss the courts, police, or military.

F. A. Hayek was a direct follower of Mises and you could say he very much spoke on economic issues - business cycle theory and being a counter to Keynes. He was one fork off the Mises line. He also held appeal among the cultural classical liberals for his work The Road to Serfdom which was a well-regarded put-down of central planning in both the far left states like the Soviet Union and the authoritarian third way of the fascist states in Germany and Italy. His book is not so far off the feeling one gets from reading Gulag Archipelago - though the latter is decidedly less formal in its set up.

It seems the 'classical liberals' were labeled pejoratively as 'neoliberals' particularly the closer one got to Margaret Thatcher or Reagan (like Hayek & Milton Friedman) yet this label also referred to Bill Clinton, Tony Blair and the Dems who courted big business and accepted certain levels of deregulation.

So it really depends on the view of what classical liberalism is. I think the top category from the starter pack and to an extent the second category from the 'starter pack' list generally follow the 'gentlemanly/civilized' way to their views similar to how Mises tried to present his own views all those years ago. It's that third category who don't give a sh!t that are the difference and are really  not very close to the other view of classical liberalism that is seen.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies