Camelot Anew, Chapter Two: The Reagan Revolution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:22:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Camelot Anew, Chapter Two: The Reagan Revolution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Camelot Anew, Chapter Two: The Reagan Revolution  (Read 18240 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 19, 2017, 04:50:02 AM »

I suppose in order for the timeline to work and Reagan to win, McGovern has to win the D nomination. With that being said I find it hard to believe someone like Buyh wouldn’t win. When youre the VP of a President with an 80% approval you usually do good. Add in the fact he likely had the blessing of the Kennedy family and idk how he wouldn’t win the nomination
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #51 on: November 20, 2017, 12:41:25 AM »

Camelot Anew
Chapter Two
The Reagan Revolution
Coming Soon
BTW, please check this AH.com thread about RFK. It has some very interesting stuff about potential policies. Perhaps you can add them in to Chapter One: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/robert-kennedy-survives.155320/
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #52 on: November 20, 2017, 08:52:01 PM »

I suppose in order for the timeline to work and Reagan to win, McGovern has to win the D nomination. With that being said I find it hard to believe someone like Buyh wouldn’t win. When youre the VP of a President with an 80% approval you usually do good. Add in the fact he likely had the blessing of the Kennedy family and idk how he wouldn’t win the nomination
That's part of why I also had Hartke run. They split the "establishment" vote.

But also, consider the TL atmosphere: Democrats had won the last four elections. It's just time for a change.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #53 on: November 20, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »

"All respect to Nick Galifianakis. He was smart, capable, more than liberal enough. But next to Thompson, he came off as boring. And when you knew Nick in person, you knew he was the opposite of boring. But he wasn't up there singing like Thompson was. It was just McGovern's luck to come up against the first movie star Presidential candidate and first singing Vice Presidential candidate."

Gallup presidential poll, August 14-21
Ronald Reagan/Ronnie Thompson (R): 47.2%
George McGovern/Nick Galifianakis (D): 42.9%
Other/Undecided: 9.9
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 20, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »

Wait Nick is related to Zach of the same last name?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: November 20, 2017, 09:50:31 PM »

Nick Galifianakis is Zach Galifianakis's uncle.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »

Nick Galifianakis is Zach Galifianakis's uncle.

Wow. The more you know.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2017, 06:14:48 PM by Chris Murphy 2020 »

"Ronnie simply outclassed Galifiwhatever in the VP debate, the first one. Ronnie just went after him and it just didn't stop for the entire two hours."

"Yeah...that debate wasn't the best. I kind of put George in a hole there."
-excerpt from an interview with Nick Galifianakis, September 10, 2009.

"People like to blame Nick and the VP debate for everything. No. It was the pictures that came out a week later."
-excerpt from an interview with George McGovern, April 28, 2006.

Images from George McGovern's 1975 trip to Cuba

"I can't believe we didn't find those first. It would've ended his primary campaign. I wonder how long Atwater was sitting on those."

"What you need to ask yourself when you enter the voting booth in six weeks, is which candidate will defend this country. Which candidate will stand up for you. Which candidate is in your corner. Me or Senator McGovern? The Senator who wants to make friends with Fidel Castro. George McGovern wants you to believe he's no more liberal than President Kennedy. But President Kennedy never went to Cuba. President Kennedy never had ice cream with Castro!"

"It was just so unfair for George. It was a goodwill trip! He was able to recover some by quite frankly destroying Reagan in the debates. But the damage was done. It was like LBJ's daisy ad."

Gallup tracking poll: September 14-21 (before Cuba images released)
Former Governor Ronald Reagan/Governor Ronnie Thompson (R): 46.7%
Senator George McGovern/Senator Nick Galifianakis (D): 45.2%
Undecided/Other: 8.1%

Gallup tracking poll: September 21-28 (during and after Cuba images released)
Former Governor Ronald Reagan/Governor Ronnie Thompson (R): 52.1%
Senator George McGovern/Senator Nick Galifianakis (D): 43.5%
Undecided/Other: 4.4%

Gallup tracking poll: October 10-17 (after debates)
Former Governor Ronald Reagan/Governor Ronnie Thompson (R): 48.4%
Senator George McGovern/Senator Nick Galifianakis (D): 44.8%
Undecided/Other: 6.8%
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2017, 05:42:22 PM »

Was Newt Gingrich elected as a liberal or conservative Republican?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2017, 06:17:06 PM »

Was Newt Gingrich elected as a liberal or conservative Republican?
Gingrich is considered a moderate Thompsonite.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

Wait, did McGovern actually meet with Castro in Cuba?
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »

Yeah, I never heard about this either. It's real, it happened in 1975.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2017, 01:23:40 PM »

Not that good at photoshop, man!

It really happened.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2017, 05:59:52 PM »

Not that good at photoshop, man!

It really happened.

Well then.

Great job so far! Really enjoying this!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2017, 10:15:12 PM »

I don’t know if you guys can tell, but the post-RFK storylines will be less detailed than RFK’s.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2017, 11:35:38 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2017, 11:38:41 PM by MRX »

Did you read the thread that I linked to in my post?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

Did you read the thread that I linked to in my post?
Yes, I did! Thank you! But Chapter 1 is done. I'm not going back and changing anything now.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2017, 06:54:09 PM »

But surely you can agree that these proposals would've occurred, right?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

But surely you can agree that these proposals would've occurred, right?
Yes, many of them.
MRX
Rookie
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2017, 07:58:05 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2017, 09:44:07 PM by MRX »

Maybe they can be mentioned in a future post in Chapter Two. Like on Reagan's budget and foreign policy proposals?
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2017, 09:15:13 PM »

Maybe they can be mentioned in a future post in Chapter Two. Like on Reagan's budget proposals?
Sure, I'll keep it in mind!
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2017, 03:46:40 PM »

“RFK wasn’t campaigning for McGovern, either. That undercut McGovern’s message of being the continuation of RFK.”

“Some people blame RFK not campaigning for me for my defeat. I dismiss that notion entirely; President Kennedy was busy being the President.”
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »

8:00
"Welcome to CBS News's coverage of Election 1976, I'm Barbara Walters with Harry Reasoner and Howard K. Smith. Tonight, we find out the successor of one of the most popular Presidents of the modern era. Robert F. Kennedy will leave office with approvals in the high 70s. But who will succeed him - Senator George McGovern of South Dakota, the steadfast supporter of the President's agenda or former Governor Ronald Reagan, the bulwark defender of the New Right and a die-hard supporter of Barry Goldwater in 1964. Their backgrounds could not be more different; McGovern was a college professor before politics while Reagan was a movie star.

Will the Democrats keep their dominance of the White House? Or will the Republicans get their first President since Dwight Eisenhower? Stay tuned, we have the first results right...now."

"Senator McGovern has won the District of Columbia and its three electoral votes. Governor Reagan has won Florida and its 17 electoral votes - already Reagan has more electoral votes than Nelson Rockefeller received in the 1972 election. The total thus far: Reagan 17, McGovern 3."

8:07
"Reagan has won Georgia, the state that has gone Democratic more times than any other. Reagan chose the first Republican Governor of Georgia since Reconstruction to be his running mate, and it appears to have paid major dividends tonight. Reagan 29, McGovern 3."

"Already the map is interesting, Barbara, Reagan has taken two southern states."

8:41
"It's been awhile since we had a call at the presidential level, but just now we've gotten two states in, both for Reagan: Reagan will take New Hampshire and its 4 electoral votes along with Indiana and its 13. Reagan 46, McGovern 3."

8:47
"Vermont and its 3 electoral votes will go to Reagan."

8:50

"Rhode Island and its 4 electoral votes will go to McGovern. Reagan 49, McGovern 7."

8:53
"Virginia and its 12 electoral votes will go to Reagan. Another southern state in the Republican column, though Virginia has always been friendly territory for the GOP than the rest of the south."

8:54

"Hold everything, we have another projection: Massachusetts and its 14 electoral votes will go to McGovern. Reagan 61, McGovern 21."

8:55
"And another projection, they're really flying in now. Reagan will take another southern state: South Carolina will go to the former California Governor."

8:57
"We have a major projection right now, Reagan has won New Jersey. I repeat, Reagan has carried New Jersey. This is a state that Kennedy won both times, but is a pure bellwether. Bobby Kennedy carried it, Johnson carried it, Jack Kennedy carried it, Eisenhower carried it. The last candidate to win without New Jersey was Harry Truman in 1948. A huge victory for Reagan, and a state I think the McGovern people were counting on. Reagan 86, McGovern 21."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2017, 11:37:37 PM »

9:01
"We're just past the 9:00 hour and polls have closed throughout the midwest and the rest of the South including Texas, but we have another projection for an 8:00 state and it's a doozy. Ohio and its 25 electoral votes will go to Ronald Reagan. This is looking to be a very good evening for the Reagan camp and a bad one if you're a McGovern fan, another bellwether state goes to the GOP candidate. Reagan 111, McGovern 21."

9:04
"Maryland and its 10 electoral votes will go to McGovern. We should point out it was at this time CBS and the other networks called the presidency for Robert Kennedy four years ago. Its clearly a much closer race tonight."

9:12
"More good news for McGovern: Pennsylvania and its 27 electoral votes will go to the South Dakota Senator. This is the biggest state we've called thus far, but it does have a bit of a Democratic lean and McGovern may have wanted this in his column sooner than quarter past nine. Reagan 111, McGovern 58."

9:19
"Another big win for McGovern: Michigan and its 21 electoral votes will go to George McGovern. Another state with a tangible Democratic lean, two of the three biggest states we've called have now gone to McGovern, but he still trails 111-79."

9:21

"Delaware and its 3 electoral votes will go to Governor Reagan."

9:33
"Nebraska, rock-solid Republican territory, stays that way, its 5 electoral votes going to Reagan. Reagan 119, McGovern 79."

9:45
"Kansas and its 7 electoral votes will go to Governor Reagan."

9:47
"North Carolina, the homestate of McGovern's running mate Nick Galifianakis, will go to the South Dakota Senator. Reagan 126, McGovern 92."

9:50
"Alabama has gone Republican again. Reagan wins Alabama. Reagan 135-McGovern 92."

9:53
"Kentucky has gone to Reagan. Considered a lean Democratic state in most years, Reagan has managed to flip the state. Reagan 144, McGovern 92."

9:54
"Mississippi has gone Republican again. The new south emerges, one where the Republican Party is dominating. Reagan 151, McGovern 92."

9:55
"Another projection: Louisiana has gone to Reagan. Reagan 161 McGovern 92."

"Astonishing...I think adding a conservative southerner to the ticket in the form of Ronnie Thompson is helping Reagan a tremendous amount in the South."

"I think Thompson helps, but I think fundamentally southerners want socially conservative, traditional values, and the Democrats are not offering that, especially in the form of George McGovern, who of course visited Cuba last year. Remember, very few Southern States gave Kennedy a majority in 1972, he only won those because Goldwater and Rockefeller split the right-wing vote."

"Well, we're seeing a new Solid South, one with a dominant Republican Party."

9:55
"North Dakota, the more conservative of the two Dakotas, has gone to Reagan."

MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix

« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2017, 11:54:44 PM »
« Edited: April 08, 2018, 10:41:00 PM by maineiac4434🌲 »

9:58
"Reagan will carry Oklahoma, to no real surprise. Reagan 172, less than 100 electoral votes away from winning this election, McGovern 92."

10:00
"Polls have closed in the west, and we project one state: Idaho will go to Reagan."

10:03
"We have a projection to make; McGovern will carry West Virginia. Solid Democratic territory, usually, the fact that it's taken so long for McGovern to be called the victor here - over two hours - should be cause for great concern in the McGovern camp. Reagan 176, McGovern 96."

10:08
"Connecticut and its 8 electoral votes have gone to Reagan. This is a Democratic leaning state - it's gone Democratic in each of the last four elections - but one that Republicans have always thought was within reach. Tonight, Reagan has reach the Nutmeg State. Reagan 184, McGovern 98."

10:12
"Reagan will carry Arkansas."

10:19
"Minnesota and its 10 electoral votes will go to McGovern. Reagan 190, McGovern 108."

10:25
"Reagan has won Tennessee and its 10 electoral votes. Reagan 200, McGovern 108."

10:29
"It's beginning to look like a suburban swimming pool out there...Utah, a solid Republican state at the Presidential level at least has gone to Reagan."

10:30
"Reagan will carry Maine, becoming the first Republican to carry the state since Richard Nixon...the first time. We actually can only call three of the four electoral votes from the state, Maine splits them by congressional district, and Maine's more liberal first district remains too close to call."

10:32
"We can finally call New York. McGovern will carry the Empire State, though Reagan will be buoyed by the good result there in a pretty safe Democratic state. Reagan 207, McGovern 149."

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies