Political Correctness Come to the Claremont Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:22:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Political Correctness Come to the Claremont Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Political Correctness Come to the Claremont Colleges  (Read 1253 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/445611/campus-email-white-girls-stop-wearing-hoop-earrings-cultural-appropriation

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is this consistent with the idea of Freedom and Liberty?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 07:13:12 AM »

I'm confused. The only thing that seems inconsistent with Freedom and Liberty here is your desire to restrict this person's freedom of speech.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 07:35:00 AM »

I'm confused. The only thing that seems inconsistent with Freedom and Liberty here is your desire to restrict this person's freedom of speech.

Folks can say what they want.  Folks don't have the right to vandalize other people's property.  And folks don't have the right to expect me to comply with their directives as to how I should dress when I am within the rules of my school, job, etc.   

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 07:40:34 AM »

Folks can say what they want.  Folks don't have the right to vandalize other people's property.  And folks don't have the right to expect me to comply with their directives as to how I should dress when I am within the rules of my school, job, etc.   

Who has vandalized any property? Do you even read the nonsense you post? It's a graffitti wall devoted to free speech. It exists solely so people can spray messages on it. And there is no "directive". There is a stated opinion on how people ought to behave.

Again, the only person here opposing free speech is you. Which makes sense considering your enthusiastic support for a president who said that those who care about freedom of speech are "stupid people". Tongue
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »

I'm shocked that your definition of muh free speech doesn't include leftists that say things you don't like.

/s
RejectedOne123
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »

Who has vandalized any property? Do you even read the nonsense you post? It's a graffitti wall devoted to free speech. It exists solely so people can spray messages on it. And there is no "directive". There is a stated opinion on how people ought to behave.

Again, the only person here opposing free speech is you. Which makes sense considering your enthusiastic support for a president who said that those who care about freedom of speech are "stupid people". Tongue

From the article:

"According to an article in The Claremont Independent, the whole thing started when a group of Latino students spray painted “White Girl, take off your hoops!” on a dormitory wall that’s devoted to free speech. "

I believe that would be the vandalism that is being referred to in this case.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 11:59:15 AM »

I'm shocked that your definition of muh free speech doesn't include leftists that say things you don't like.

/s

To discuss the issue of "cultural appropriation" is free speech.  While I think the point ridiculous, ridiculous ideas are part of free speech. 

When I tell someone how they must, and must not dress, appear, etc. that is not expression of an idea.  That is a command, and it begs the question of whether or not I have the right to command someone to, in this case, refrain from adorning themselves in a particular manner.  Because if I don't have that authority, but I use group tactics to bring about conformity, that ranges from peer pressure to coercion.  Is coercion not the opposite of freedom?

I will say this:  Reading this issue has made me reconsider some of my stances on "The Kneelers" of the NFL.  I still think they're wrong, and I don't think much of their argument, and I do think that management has the right to compel them to stand as part of their employment contract.  But that doesn't mean that management SHOULD do so; indeed, I do think that institutions should not needlessly infuse their events with opportunities that force folks to conform to something they don't believe in or say what is not on their mind if it can be avoided, and things like opening ceremonies that have nothing to do with football fall into that category.  I'm not going to give "The Kneelers" any props for their political stances, but I do think that we can stop putting them in a place to compel them to do something that's not on their mind, and that they don't want to do.  I don't think, as a society, that we should work at adding ways to put folks in the position of becoming compulsive refusniks.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »

I hate "Wuuhhhh peecee Poleeeese" stories but there is nothing more "trying as hard as possible to be woke" than referring to people of color as 'bodies'

We get it, you read Coates.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:37:51 PM »

This article is from March and it was posted and mocked in the New Left Watch thread on AAD by none other than yours truly.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 12:49:39 PM »

Some young people are dumb and don't understand the world. News at 12.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 12:58:09 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2017, 01:01:01 PM by ThatConservativeGuy »

I hope Ms. Martinez has never flown in an airplane, driven a car, or used a lightbulb. If she has, she's been appropriating things from my white culture.

Yes, the above was purposefully ignorant to show how ridiculous the nature of people being upset about cultural appropriation is. Of course, she has the right to say those things and this ISN'T an example of political correctness being used as a weapon to restrict speech, but still, get over it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 01:02:42 PM »

We get it ... they are stupid.
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 10:27:37 AM »

Some young people are dumb and don't understand the world. News at 12.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »

From the article:

"According to an article in The Claremont Independent, the whole thing started when a group of Latino students spray painted “White Girl, take off your hoops!” on a dormitory wall that’s devoted to free speech. "

I believe that would be the vandalism that is being referred to in this case.
From the article, it sounds to me like that's literally the kind of thing the wall is for. How is this vandalism?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »

Are hoop earrings a Latin American invention? Serious question.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:42 PM »

Are hoop earrings a Latin American invention? Serious question.

Hoop earrings are attested as far back as ancient Sumeria. So, no.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »

When I tell someone how they must, and must not dress, appear, etc. that is not expression of an idea.  That is a command, and it begs the question of whether or not I have the right to command someone to, in this case, refrain from adorning themselves in a particular manner.
not mutually exclusive, and telling someone to do something =/= making someone do something
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »

I sure hope these "college activists" stay out of politics in the next few years.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 04:57:31 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 05:00:33 PM by HillGoose »

what idiots. They bullied that girl and they want to play victim?

They should all be fired/expelled from the school.

If that had happened to me, those "poor oppressed WOC" would be getting sued, there has to be some way. They have the "right" to say that, but that won't protect them from a well-paid lawyer, and they'll have to dig into their 20k a year salary from their "dance therapy" degree to hire a lawyer who's advertising on the same bus he's riding on.

I hate it when "WOC" who never experienced any sort of discrimination act like they were alive 200 years ago.

God damn.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:51 PM »

Spray paint was invented by a white man, Edward Seymour.  All those African-American Americans and Latinx who use spray paint are committing cultural appropriation.  I demand they stop.

http://www.seymourpaint.com/history/
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2017, 10:11:51 PM »

I thought the left didn't like women being told how to dress?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2017, 11:14:29 PM »

I thought the left didn't like women being told how to dress?

Nice one.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies