Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse  (Read 24142 times)
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2017, 08:55:39 AM »

I can easily believe that the LGBT, Secularist, Feminist coalition would do anything not to defeat Moore, but to publicly embarrass him.  This would include fabricating a scandal that would not only bring down Moore, but embarrass Evangelical Christians.  Moore's fall would not just result in the election of a Democrat; it would result in a professing Christian being exposed and humiliated as a hypocrite; it would be a direct hit on Christianity, itself to highlight the Hypocritical Pervert as it's leading politician.  And, yes, I think folks would willingly lie against Moore, convincing themselves it's for some sort of greater good.

But I can also believe that Roy Moore is an unrepentant power driver.  A man who's beyond human accountability to the point where one has to wonder if he views himself as accountable to God for what he does.  

Moore "dated" young girls when he was a young prosecutor.  He used his power to "date" young girls.  He well may have broken no laws; the age of consent in Alabama is 16, and it's not impossible that Moore's primary accuser MAY be misstating how old she was at the time.  It's not totally improper for folks to wonder "Why now?" and not unreasonable to think that folks' recommendation of details of events that happened almost 40 years ago are not entirely accurate.  He may not be a criminal.  But that's not good enough, given the premise of his candidacy.

This is the Ten Commandments guy.  He was having sex outside of marriage; what does THAT say?  That he was involving himself with teenage girls while he was in his 30s suggests real need for power and control that are more than a little troubling.  I used to view Moore as a person seeking to advance principles that I consider important; the resistance to rampant secularism in our culture.  I believe that God wanted the Ten Commandments monument to remain in the Rotunda of the AL Supreme Court, but allowed it to be removed because the monument came to glorify Roy Moore more that it glorified Him.  

For Christians to openly support Roy Moore at this point beyond quietly voting for him at the polls (and even that, I would not do if I were an Alabama voter) is for Christians to be saying that God does not empower believers to live, sexually, within His dictates.  Roy Moore doesn't present himself as some sort of wayward soul who found Jesus as an adult; he's the epitome of "Back in the day, we . . ." appeals of a lifelong Christian who is astonished as to how far down the road toward secularism we've gone.  I'm all for a man with guts, willing to fight for important principles, but when that man is someone who sought to impress teenage girls with his position (a prosecutor) to achieve his aims, I see a power addict whose presence in public life is dangerous.

I retract my endorsement of Moore.  I would vote for Jones if I were an Alabama voter.  Moore's election would be bad for both the Nation and the Church.  And it would be bad for Moore, as it would reinforce what seems to be a tragic level of unwillingness to repent and be accountable.  I don't think Roy Moore is accountable even to his Pastor, and that makes me worry if he is even accountable to God.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2017, 10:42:41 AM »

But Bill Clinton!
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2017, 11:11:19 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2017, 11:42:15 AM »

Can we please get a sexual abuse MAGAThread?  There's going to be new allegations daily.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »

Can we please get a sexual abuse MAGAThread?  There's going to be new allegations daily.

That’s because the people you admire and entrust with our lives and national security are scumbags.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2017, 12:22:32 PM »

That’s because the people you admire and entrust with our lives and national security are scumbags.

Men in general are scumbags, yes.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2017, 12:36:19 PM »

Um, no.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »

Is the GOP in Alabama a bunch of wack-jobs or what ?
What the hell is this ....

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2017, 01:10:13 PM »

Is the GOP in Alabama a bunch of wack-jobs or what ?
What the hell is this ....

Remember when some conservatives and/or Republicans were going on about same sex marriage snowballing into legalization of child sex abuse and all those other things?

The irony in this whole disgusting situation is as astounding as it is appalling.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »

I thought we would've learned by now to never assume logical consistency from Republicans

Not that, but I assumed they were good enough people still that they wouldn't rationalize pedophilia.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2017, 01:14:41 PM »

I thought we would've learned by now to never assume logical consistency from Republicans
Hypocrisy is the only constant.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2017, 01:24:42 PM »

.......with both parties.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #112 on: November 10, 2017, 01:28:03 PM »

This'll add another five points to his victory margin.
These sort of comments only make the commentor look dumb and its amazing they don't realize.

"Moore's still going to win despite this", sure. Probably true.

But its absurd and offensive to indicate there are actually people who aren't planning on voting for Moore now are swayable to,vote FOR him BECAUSE of this.

(IceSpear's "bar had if the Republicans ran a Klansman they'd probably break 75% in West Virginia LOLZ" junk is similar, the implication is that a notable number of West Virginians are not voting Republican now and supporting the Democrats simply because they believe Trump isn't racist enough.)

BRTD, were you not a fierce opponent of the "Americans are dumb so Trump could win" theory?
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #113 on: November 10, 2017, 01:30:12 PM »

This'll add another five points to his victory margin.
These sort of comments only make the commentor look dumb and its amazing they don't realize.

"Moore's still going to win despite this", sure. Probably true.

But its absurd and offensive to indicate there are actually people who aren't planning on voting for Moore now are swayable to,vote FOR him BECAUSE of this.

(IceSpear's "bar had if the Republicans ran a Klansman they'd probably break 75% in West Virginia LOLZ" junk is similar, the implication is that a notable number of West Virginians are not voting Republican now and supporting the Democrats simply because they believe Trump isn't racist enough.)
BRTD, the voice of reason. I see the Forum sure has gotten...'special' over the last few years. Wink

And of course what Moore did is horrible and offensive and I hope Moore goes down in flames so he can be prosecuted - but trying to tar an entire state as 'just like Moore' to make yourselves feel superior is really...not the best idea on multiple levels, shall we say.

You could suggest something constructive like using this in ads to rally voters against Moore or the like - how many voters either won't hear about this or don't vote because they don't think it will make a difference? But writing this race off because of crass elitism or just plain bigotry about large areas or groups of people (no, I'm not discounting the fact that Moore is likely to win because high-propensity Republican voters will comprise a large chunk of the electorate) is the type of attitude that ended up in President Donald Trump. Tongue

Bash Moore, bash those who defend him like that State Auditor who someone posted about while I was writing this, bash those who think this is OK, but using this as a club against everyone who doesn't think exactly like you is 'absurd and offensive', as BRTD said. The fact that Republicans do the same thing doesn't change that. Can we not all agree that in one way or another, Moore shouldn't be in Congress because this type of behavior should never be rewarded no matter who does it?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2017, 01:31:10 PM »

Um, no.

I mean they are, but most of them aren't to that extent.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »

.......with both parties.

Of course, which is why I didn't specify a party. Smiley
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2017, 01:50:49 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 01:52:29 PM by Santander »

Actually, that's not what we're saying. At least, that's not what I'm saying, and I have been one of the people saying this. We leave out the detailed reasoning just because trolling is a lot more effective and entertaining when there is enough ambiguity that it could be interpreted in the worst possible way.

Of course, it is ridiculous to think that Alabamians would actively endorse Moore's alleged predatory behavior and be swayed to vote for him because of his actions. However, what people like me, PNM and IceSpear have been saying is that it cannot be overstated how invested the average Republican voter is in "their guy" and how they will simply refuse to believe any allegations against Moore. In some cases, their vision and judgment may be so clouded by tribalism that they will even try to rationalize Moore's illegal alleged actions by comparing with Democrat scandals or saying it happened too long ago to matter. They are not necessarily amoral people, but tribalism can lead to amoral behavior from otherwise basically moral people. They cannot simply dismiss Moore as a bad candidate without admitting deep faults of their own that go beyond merely backing the wrong horse.

Regarding it increasing his chances of winning, it's not unreasonable to theorize that some relatively apolitical voters (it is a special election, after all) may not have been particularly excited by Moore before, but now that they see the "fake news media" and establishment furiously attacking him from both sides, they will actually turn out to vote for him.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #117 on: November 10, 2017, 01:54:18 PM »

Um, no.

I don’t agree.  I think to say all men in general are scumbags almost serves to write off these kinds of actions...if they’re all in general scumbags, then scummy behavior is to be expected and tolerated.  That’s not right, and it isn’t true.  Men in general are not scum.  The scum are the high profile exceptions to the rule.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2017, 01:59:44 PM »

Um, no.

I don’t agree.  I think to say all men in general are scumbags almost serves to write off these kinds of actions...if they’re all in general scumbags, then scummy behavior is to be expected and tolerated.  That’s not right, and it isn’t true.  Men in general are not scum.  The scum are the high profile exceptions to the rule.

Most men have, at some point in their life, acted inappropriately toward women in some way or another. This is a continuum that goes all the way from staring at a stranger's boobs or making a lewd joke in a locker room to outright rape, and of course those things shouldn't be equated, but we should recognize that all these things are bad and reflect terribly on our gender.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2017, 02:01:24 PM »

Most men have, at some point in their life, acted inappropriately toward women in some way or another. This is a continuum that goes all the way from staring at a stranger's boobs or making a lewd joke in a locker room to outright rape, and of course those things shouldn't be equated, but we should recognize that all these things are bad and reflect terribly on our gender.

Low self-esteem should not be confused with humility or morality.

Do you really think women do not do similar things in their own way?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #120 on: November 10, 2017, 02:01:42 PM »

Um, no.

Lol, is this post serious? Do you think women don't leer at guys they find attractive or tell lewd jokes?
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #121 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:21 PM »

There is a HUGE difference between telling lewd jokes and groping/harassing a 14 year old girl.

This entire issue isn’t political.  It shouldn’t be tolerated from either side.  No one who is moral could vote for Moore after these accusations until they are proven false.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #122 on: November 10, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »

There is a HUGE difference between telling lewd jokes and groping/harassing a 14 year old girl.

I expressly said that.

I'm not going to derail this thread further.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #123 on: November 10, 2017, 02:28:12 PM »

https://activistmommy.com/breaking-roy-moores-accuser-worked-democratic-leaders-actively-campaigning-moores-opponent/

I'm NOT saying that Moore didn't hurt this young woman - but who she's working for should raise eyebrows, even if they later settle. Aside from the FB captions, the rest of this refutation is unnamed sources and gossip.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: November 10, 2017, 02:34:38 PM »

If I were her, I'd be campaigning hard for Jones too. And it's not exactly surprising that a sign language interpreter is a progressive Democrat.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies