Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:47:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse  (Read 24184 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »

https://activistmommy.com/breaking-roy-moores-accuser-worked-democratic-leaders-actively-campaigning-moores-opponent/

I'm NOT saying that Moore didn't hurt this young woman - but who she's working for should raise eyebrows, even if they later settle. Aside from the FB captions, the rest of this refutation is unnamed sources and gossip.

So the 30 independent interviews conducted by WashPo are just a part of a grand conspiracy?

I’m also interested as to why she would give her full name as Debbie Wesson Gibson to the post but use Deborah on Facebook.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2017, 02:48:02 PM »

Sanchez' descent is one of the saddest things to happen to this forum recently.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »

https://activistmommy.com/breaking-roy-moores-accuser-worked-democratic-leaders-actively-campaigning-moores-opponent/

I'm NOT saying that Moore didn't hurt this young woman - but who she's working for should raise eyebrows, even if they later settle. Aside from the FB captions, the rest of this refutation is unnamed sources and gossip.

"Activistmommy.com"
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »
« Edited: November 10, 2017, 02:57:41 PM by Frodo »

I thought we would've learned by now to never assume logical consistency from Republicans
Hypocrisy is the only constant.

.......with both parties.

Yes, but it's worse with Republicans and conservatives (especially after the rise of the Religious Right) given they have always claimed for political gain that they are morally superior to Democrats and liberals.  For those types (like Catholic priests caught molesting little boys), they have much further to fall. 
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »

"This woman has been campaigning against the man that sexually abused her. SEEMS AWFULLY SUSPICIOUS, HMM?"
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »

Regarding it increasing his chances of winning, it's not unreasonable to theorize that some relatively apolitical voters (it is a special election, after all) may not have been particularly excited by Moore before, but now that they see the "fake news media" and establishment furiously attacking him from both sides, they will actually turn out to vote for him.

That's a good point. This could catch the attention of more voters who weren't paying attention before and that might not be a good thing for Jones. On the other hand, it will also catch the attention of AL democrats, who given their long history of demoralizing losses, may need special motivation to turn out in non-presidential races. I think Jones was always going to have trouble getting the kind of turnout he needed among Dems, so from that point of view, this could at least help him with his own gotv ops - especially if the dems start to believe they might actually have a chance of winning for the first time in who knows how long.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »

There is a HUGE difference between telling lewd jokes and groping/harassing a 14 year old girl.

I expressly said that.

I'm not going to derail this thread further.

Oh yea, I know. I actually meant my comment to be directed toward the people responding to you.  Sorry for the confusion Smiley
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »

Regarding it increasing his chances of winning, it's not unreasonable to theorize that some relatively apolitical voters (it is a special election, after all) may not have been particularly excited by Moore before, but now that they see the "fake news media" and establishment furiously attacking him from both sides, they will actually turn out to vote for him.

I sincerely, sincerely hope this is not the case. We've reached a scary phase, indeed.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2017, 03:24:12 PM »

Not excusable. The allegations need to be fully investigated before he is allowed to serve in Congress on behalf of the people of Alabama (including those he may have molested).

I don’t want Luther Strange either, but I would fully support him or another Republican replacing Moore for this race.
swf541

« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »

HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2017, 04:02:34 PM »

Amazing how women always get the courage to report sexual misconduct (even decades after the fact) after the accused wins a Republican primary...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l60MnDJklnM

Most men have, at some point in their life, acted inappropriately toward women in some way or another. This is a continuum that goes all the way from staring at a stranger's boobs or making a lewd joke in a locker room to outright rape, and of course those things shouldn't be equated, but we should recognize that all these things are bad and reflect terribly on our gender.

Do you really think women do not do similar things in their own way?

If we're setting the bar as low as just acting "inappropriately" then yes everyone male or female has acted inappropriately at some point in their life. It takes away from the significance of serious things like what Moore is accused of doing when people act like men being mildly rude is a massive sexist calamity (but of course when women are mildly rude it's no big deal).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2017, 04:11:15 PM »

That's a very selective interpretation, kraven. Powell only used those long-standing House rules as part of why SCOTUS was unwilling to accept that Powell's exclusion vote was a de facto expulsion vote.  However, nowhere in Powell did they decide that the custom that the expulsion power not be used to punish for conduct prior to being seated was an enshrined precedent, never to be changed.  If custom based upon long-standing legislative courtesies could never be changed, then Garland and not Gorsuch would be on the Court right now. At least McConnell's thievery was mere politics. If Moore did what he's been accused of, he committed actual crimes.  If so, expelling Moore so he could face charges without him hiding behind Congressional immunity would seem to me to be the correct course of action. (There's no statute of limitations in Alabama for sex offenses with those under the age of 16.)

The court did not reach the question of expulsion as that issue was not ripe before the court.

There is a major problem in your logic, and it is that opening up expulsion inquiries in such a manner. could threaten the position of the rickety sinking ship that is the Senate Democratic caucus after being routed in the past 2 elections. Democrats like Ted Kennedy who drown women and then double team them with Chris Dodd might also face such inquiries despite them being unrelated to legislative conduct. Mitch is not your problem...your party isn't going to open that door only to have your tactics used against you.

The rest of this is, as the usual, flagrantly untrue. Moore was a Democrat back in the 1970s. In addition, the statute of limitations changes as it applies to this fake news was only enacted in 1985 and does not apply retroactively. Clearly the fake news did not do its job properly if that is your goal.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2017, 04:13:31 PM »

The rest of this is, as the usual, flagrantly untrue. Moore was a Democrat back in the 1970s. In addition, the statute of limitations changes as it applies to this fake news was only enacted in 1985 and does not apply retroactively. Clearly the fake news did not do its job properly if that is your goal.

Wow. krazen operates at a level I can only dream of reaching.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »

The veracity of the story is suspect because of its timing.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2017, 04:20:58 PM »

Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

So what do you guys propose?  We ignore it, not bother with it, until after he’s elected?

Why not just replace him with Strange?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2017, 04:33:39 PM »

So what do you guys propose?  We ignore it, not bother with it, until after he’s elected?

So impose punishment before the verdict now?  The public opinion verdict is in but that's about it.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2017, 04:36:45 PM »

If he's elected, he may be forced to step down which means another special election next year.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

So impose punishment before the verdict now?  The public opinion verdict is in but that's about it.
Says the guy who never misses an opportunity to bash Hillary for things never proven.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Says the guy who never misses an opportunity to bash Hillary for things never proven.

I'm happy to be part of the public opinion verdict of Hillary, yes.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2017, 04:50:52 PM »

At least you admit you are a hypocrite. Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2017, 04:57:27 PM »

At least you admit you are a hypocrite. Tongue

Oh stop trolling.  I never said public opinion verdicts are a problem, but I would have never said the Hilldawg couldn't run for President because of the endless list of things she may have done wrong.  #LockHerUp
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »

https://twitter.com/deirdrewalshcnn/status/929104510076760064

Deirdre Walsh‏Verified account
@deirdrewalshcnn
“I think the Senate should say that they will refuse to seat him or in fact expel him if he is the Senator from Alabama,” IL GOP Rep Kinzinger tells @jaketapper about Roy Moore
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2017, 05:22:55 PM »

He is absolutely innocent until proven guilty.  And punishment should not happen until he is proved guilty.

But the seriousness of the allegations should absolutely disqualify him from the mind of anyone with any shred of morality until his innocence is proven.  Would you seriously vote for a person who has been accused multiple times of being a pedophile?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »

Roy Moore has to be one of the worst people to have ever run for the Senate in recent history. Dear God this man is evil. No morals whats over and he calls himself a "Christian."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies