Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:36:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: Roy Moore accused of sexual abuse  (Read 24132 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2017, 08:00:51 PM »

I'm sure that the South's centuries-long tradition of white slave-owners raping slave women (regardless of age) has nothing to do with any of this. (Or Southern white society's views on race and sexuality in general, for that matter).
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2017, 08:10:56 PM »

Until/unless Roy Moore is forced out of the race, I can't don a blue avatar with any dignity.

The Republican Party has hit a moral low. Let's just hope it's not a bottomless pit.

Post Trump Moore being elected wouldn't be the least bit surprising to me. Not sure what the rules are for being expelled from the Senate (namely what kind of majority is necessary) so I don't know about that. 
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #202 on: November 13, 2017, 08:14:24 PM »

I'm sure that the South's centuries-long tradition of white slave-owners raping slave women (regardless of age) has nothing to do with any of this. (Or Southern white society's views on race and sexuality in general, for that matter).

*Californian ignorance intensifies*
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #203 on: November 13, 2017, 08:15:57 PM »

Until/unless Roy Moore is forced out of the race, I can't don a blue avatar with any dignity.

The Republican Party has hit a moral low. Let's just hope it's not a bottomless pit.

Post Trump Moore being elected wouldn't be the least bit surprising to me. Not sure what the rules are for being expelled from the Senate (namely what kind of majority is necessary) so I don't know about that. 

A 2/3 majority must vote to expel.
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #204 on: November 13, 2017, 08:17:38 PM »

I was hoping for a bipartisan discussion on how horrifying this is, but instead, I got blind Trumpets on one side going "ITS THE EVIL FAKE NEWS LIESSS" and ignorant San Francisco Democrats saying "ALL WHITE SOUTHERN MEN ARE EVIL INBREDS"

You're all disgusting. Shame.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #205 on: November 13, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »

I was hoping for a bipartisan discussion on how horrifying this is, but instead, I got blind Trumpets on one side going "ITS THE EVIL FAKE NEWS LIESSS" and ignorant San Francisco Democrats saying "ALL WHITE SOUTHERN MEN ARE EVIL INBREDS"

You might like the Alabama thread in the Congressional Elections forum better: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=262651.0
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #206 on: November 13, 2017, 08:30:24 PM »

I don't know that anyone's saying that all white southern men are evil, but the fact that a significant number of people in Alabama (and probably a majority) will vote for this guy is telling about the conscience of conservatives these days, or the lack thereof.

Okay, that's not going to happen.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #207 on: November 13, 2017, 08:38:06 PM »

I don't know that anyone's saying that all white southern men are evil, but the fact that a significant number of people in Alabama (and probably a majority) will vote for this guy is telling about the conscience of conservatives these days, or the lack thereof.

It's a very high bar.  In US history there have been 15 expulsions from the Senate, 14 of which were in 1861-62 for supporting the Confederacy (one of these was later posthumously reversed).  The other was in 1797 for treason and conspiracy regarding a plot to help Britain invade Spanish Florida.

There have been a somewhat larger number of expulsion attempts that didn't result in expulsion.  The last one was John Ensign of Nevada in 2011.  He resigned before the vote, as did the last couple before him.  The last expulsion vote that was actually taken and failed to pass was in 1942.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #208 on: November 13, 2017, 08:42:44 PM »

Are you seriously doing a "muh both sides do it" false equivalency here? Jfc dude. ONE SIDE IS RATIONALIZING AND SUPPORTING PEDOPHILIA AND RAPE.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #209 on: November 13, 2017, 08:58:45 PM »

*Californian ignorance intensifies*

lol sick burn bro!
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: November 13, 2017, 09:20:52 PM »

Wow.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a feeling there are going to be more stories between now and Alabama election day.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #211 on: November 13, 2017, 09:25:57 PM »

Wow.
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have a feeling there are going to be more stories between now and Alabama election day.

So do I.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2017, 10:31:25 PM »

It's quite likely to happen, IMHO.  The Senate GOP just cuts Moore loose, and he gets replaced by another interim Senator who is also a Republican (and probably more likely to cooperate with them on policy than Moore).  So it's not like they have to sacrifice a Senate seat here.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2017, 11:50:46 PM »

If you are an Alabama voter and are still voting for this POS after this, that says a lot about your character and moral compass and it’s not positive at all. If this were the other way around and the Democrats had nominated a pedophile, I would hold my nose and vote Republican. I’d much rather lose an election than put a serial rapist into office.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #214 on: November 14, 2017, 01:13:46 AM »

It's quite likely to happen, IMHO.  The Senate GOP just cuts Moore loose, and he gets replaced by another interim Senator who is also a Republican (and probably more likely to cooperate with them on policy than Moore).  So it's not like they have to sacrifice a Senate seat here.

I thought Powell v. McCormack eastablished that the Senate could not reject duly-elected Senators?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #215 on: November 14, 2017, 01:27:45 AM »

I thought Powell v. McCormack eastablished that the Senate could not reject duly-elected Senators?

Everything I've read online says that the Senate can expel its members, and the Senate's own website mentions the expulsion proceedings against Bob Packwood, which took place after Powell vs. McCormack:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Expulsion_Censure.htm

Or maybe it's a distinction between "reject" and "expel"?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #216 on: November 14, 2017, 01:29:33 AM »

You’ve got this all figured out, don’t you
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #217 on: November 14, 2017, 01:53:33 AM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 01:59:42 AM by Shadows »

HANNITY: Debbie Wesson Gibson says she was 17 when you asked her out on several dates and it did not progress her words beyond kissing. Did that happen?

MOORE: I don't remember that. I do not remember when we...I seem to know or remember knowing her parents...that they were friends. I can't recall the specific dates because that's been 40 years but I remember her as a good girl. But neither of them have ever stated any inappropriate behavior. She didn't say anything. They said about me...

HANNITY: But do you remember ever going on a date with her? She said that you asked around out on the first of several dates but nothing progressed beyond kissing.

MOORE: I don't remember specific dates. I do not and I don't remember if it was that time or later. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: But you know you never dated her ever? Is that what you're saying?

MOORE: No but I don't remember going out on dates. I knew her as a friend. If we did go on dates then we did. But I do not remember that.

HANNITY: Would it be unusual for you as a 32 year old guy to have dated a woman as young as 17? That would be a 15 year difference or a girl 18. Do you remember dating girls that young at that time?

MOORE: Not generally, no. If did, you know, I'm not going to dispute anything but I don't remember anything like that.

HANNITY: But you don't specifically remember having any girlfriend that was in her late teens even at that time?

MOORE: I don't remember that and I don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother. And I think in her statement she said that her mother actually encouraged her to go out with me.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/11/10/roy_moore_interviewed_by_hannity_generally_didnt_date_girls_in_late_teens_accusations_never_happened.html

This guy is a total Crook. Crooked Roy Moore
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #218 on: November 14, 2017, 02:32:31 AM »

Alabama Residents Say Roy Moore's Pursuit of Teenage Girls Was 'Common Knowledge'

“These stories have been going around this town for 30 years,” Blake Usry, who grew up in Gadsden and lives there currently, told Al.com. “Nobody could believe they hadn’t come out yet.” “Him liking and dating young girls was never a secret in Gadsden when we were all in high school,” Sheryl Porter told Al.com. “In our neighborhoods up by Noccalula Falls we heard it all the time. Even people at the courthouse know it was a well-known secret.” “He watched us girls quite openly,” added Victoria Beverstock, who said she was a 20-year-old waitress in 1992 working at a local restaurant Moore frequently dined at. “His eyes crawled over our shirts and our backsides. He was so open about it that I would try and handle his order as quickly as possible.”

http://time.com/5022752/roy-moore-gadsden-alabama/

Locals Were Troubled by Roy Moore’s Interactions with Teen Girls at the Gadsden Mall

I spoke or messaged with more than a dozen people—including a major political figure in the state—who told me that they had heard, over the years, that Moore had been banned from the mall because he repeatedly badgered teen-age girls. Sources tell me Moore was actually banned from the Gadsden Mall and the YMCA for his inappropriate behavior of soliciting sex from young girls,” the independent Alabama journalist Glynn Wilson wrote on his Web site on Sunday.

Greg Legat, who is now fifty-nine and living in East Gadsden, was, from 1981 to 1985, an employee at the Record Bar, a store that was in the Gadsden Mall. Legat says that he saw Moore there a few times, even though his understanding then was that he had already been banned. “It started around 1979, I think,” Legat said. “I know the ban was still in place when I got there.” Legat recalled a Gadsden police officer named J. D. Thomas, now retired, who worked security at the mall. “J. D. was a fixture there, when I was working at the store,” Legat said. “He really looked after the kids there. He was a good guy. J. D. told me, ‘If you see Roy, let me know. He’s banned from the mall.’ ” Legat recalled Thomas telling him, “If you see Moore here, tell me. I’ll take care of him.’ ”

Two officers I spoke to this weekend, both of whom asked to remain unnamed, told me that they have long heard stories about Moore and the mall. “The general knowledge at the time when I moved here was that this guy is a lawyer cruising the mall for high-school dates,” He also said, “I heard from one girl who had to tell the manager of a store at the mall to get Moore to leave her alone.”e added, “I actually voted for Moore. I liked him at one time. But I’m basically disgusted now"

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/locals-were-troubled-by-roy-moores-interactions-with-teen-girls-at-the-gadsden-mall
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #219 on: November 14, 2017, 02:38:45 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This guy is a total Crook. Crooked Roy Moore

It seems that Moore shot himself in the foot, by saying that "I don't remember ever dating any girl without the permission of her mother."
Why would a "girl" at the age of 18 or older, need the "permission of her mother" ?
He makes it obvious that these girls were underage.
Disgusting pig !
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:15 AM »

Roll Tide!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #221 on: November 14, 2017, 07:02:38 AM »

Why does Gloria Allred need to show up at every outing?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #222 on: November 14, 2017, 07:31:22 AM »

Everything I've read online says that the Senate can expel its members, and the Senate's own website mentions the expulsion proceedings against Bob Packwood, which took place after Powell vs. McCormack:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Expulsion_Censure.htm

Or maybe it's a distinction between "reject" and "expel"?

Yes, it is.  The House voted to "exclude" Adam Clayton Powell and not admit him to Congress after he was elected.  This was a majority vote, not 2/3 (which they were unlikely to get).  Powell took it to Court (Powell v. McCormack) and SCOTUS ruled that this wasn't valid; the only Constitutional means to remove a member of Congress is by 2/3 vote after they are elected and seated.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #223 on: November 14, 2017, 07:44:29 AM »

The bestworst part is that Roy Moore probably doesn't think he did anything wrong, because gays, abortionists, Muslims etc.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #224 on: November 14, 2017, 08:01:32 AM »

The bestworst part is that Roy Moore probably doesn't think he did anything wrong, because gays, abortionists, Muslims etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if that were the case.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies