Why was Michigan so Republican in the 1920s?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:38:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why was Michigan so Republican in the 1920s?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Why was Michigan so Republican in the 1920s?  (Read 4265 times)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2017, 11:41:06 PM »

Great map!

Oh, here is a more accurate map of the reach of the Yankee diaspora, which also happens to be the zone that is littered even to this day, with small liberal arts colleges (many of which being of very high quality), almost all of which were founded by Yankees. New Englanders had the highest literacy rate on the planet back then, and valued education.

Yes, and that's why states such as Minnesota and Wisconsin have had such great education systems.  On top of the New England settlers, the subsequent German and Scandinavian immigrants also came from education-valuing cultures.

I'm guessing that also has something to do with why the Upper Midwest states were among the first to abolish or severely restrict capital punishment.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:50 AM »

LOL that map. Apparently I'm in the same region as Maine but by driving to Iowa or west to some rural counties in North Dakota I can enter the same region as PHILADELPHIA.

That map makes as much sense as Political Compass charts.
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »

LOL that map. Apparently I'm in the same region as Maine but by driving to Iowa or west to some rural counties in North Dakota I can enter the same region as PHILADELPHIA.

That map makes as much sense as Political Compass charts.

It's interesting to me how oddly specific some of the boundaries are, like the ones in Iowa and Arkansas in particular. I wonder if that suggests ethnic migratory patterns to some extent.
mianfei
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »

Yankees had more influence on the political culture of Michigan than any other midwestern state.
Notice the much lower support for La Follette in the Lower Peninsula than in the Upper Peninsula – which in fact culturally is more akin to the other Upper Midwestern states.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies