County shutouts for major-party candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:55:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  County shutouts for major-party candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: County shutouts for major-party candidates?  (Read 748 times)
TML
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 09, 2017, 10:35:11 PM »

Over the last several elections, I've noticed that in the least populated counties in rural Texas, the total number of votes which the Democratic candidate received in some places could be counted with one's fingers. For example, in Loving County, Texas, the Democratic candidate received 9 votes in 2012 and 4 votes in 2016, whereas in King County, Texas, the count was 5 votes apiece in both years.

Thus, I've been wondering: has there ever been an occasion where a major-party candidate got shut-out completely in a particular county (i.e. received 0 votes) during a general election?
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 10:45:37 PM »

Warren G. Harding got 0 votes in King County, Texas in 1920.

Herbert Hoover got 0 votes in Quitman County, Georgia in 1932.

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »

Also, Democrats got 100% in numerous Solid South counties between the late 1800's and 1930's.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 04:00:42 PM »

Also, Democrats got 100% in numerous Solid South counties between the late 1800's and 1930's.

Yes, there were a ton of Dem sweeps in rural South counties during roughly 1890-1940, but that was because only the Dem base of the day was allowed to vote in those counties.

I am pretty sure this happened somewhere in Michigan and/or Vermont for Harding and Hoover in their landslides. 
mianfei
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:27 PM »

Yes, there were a ton of Dem sweeps in rural South counties during roughly 1890-1940, but that was because only the Dem base of the day was allowed to vote in those counties.

I am pretty sure this happened somewhere in Michigan and/or Vermont for Harding and Hoover in their landslides. 
It certainly didn’t happen, actually, although those states were almost completely single-party Republican at the time.

The fewest votes Cox received in any county was in Alpine County, California – where he obtained just six votes. In 1924, John W. Davis, who had the worst percentage of the vote of any major-party nominee since 1916, received only five votes in Alpine County. In Michigan, the fewest votes Davis received in any county was fifty votes in Keweenaw County, and the fewest Cox received was 75 votes in Oscoda County.

At the town level Cox was shut out in the following four Vermont towns:

John W. Davis in the following 1924 election was shut out in the following five Vermont towns:

• Elmore – no votes out of sixty-five
  • Waltham – no votes out of fifty-nine
  • Brookline – no votes out of fifty, though Robert La Follette received two votes
  • Stannard – no votes out of forty-two
  • Somerset – no votes our of eight

For Hoover, I do not have access to direct data on me, but I am sure Al Smith did no worse than the data above.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 09:39:11 PM »

I cannot recall the exact election, but I recall a Republican Presidential candidate getting 100% in a Kentucky or Tennessee county sometime between 1900-1928, unless my memory is off.
mianfei
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:42 PM »

I cannot recall the exact election, but I recall a Republican Presidential candidate getting 100% in a Kentucky or Tennessee county sometime between 1900-1928, unless my memory is off.
Although those counties have been remarkable for their consistent Republican partisanship, the most any GOP candidate received in a Kentucky or Tennessee county was 96.52 percent in Jackson County, Kentucky, in 1928.

It is true that in Leslie County, no Democrat between 1896 and 1928 ever reached double figures – and in Jackson County no Democrat has ever reached 26 percent since 1864 (only LBJ in 1964 and Bill Clinton in 1996 have passed even 20 percent) – but I am utterly sure no shutouts occurred.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 03:37:49 PM »

Landon got 0 votes in Horry County, SC in 1936.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies