What's your local dialect?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:26:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your local dialect?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What's your local dialect?  (Read 5474 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 08:24:09 PM »

Mine is a combination.  I have a "North Pittsurgh" Accent, which is somewhat similar to the late John Hienz.  I still will say "mere" to refer to a reflective surface made of glass.  I still have it.  It's a slight variation on Pittsburgh English. Since living in Phila, I've developed a thin Phila accent.  For example, "order" becomes "ordah."

Further, my vocabulary generally includes a lot of AAVE.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 09:11:30 PM »

North Central American English
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 09:46:09 PM »

Oui.  'Minnewegian' (as they call it) is given a passing reference, and it deserves much more.

Oddly enough, one of my Michigander aunts (actually, all my aunts are Michiganders, but whatever) told my mom that sometimes I hard to understand because I sounded so Minnesotan, which freaked me out to no end.  At least I do not commit the cardinal sin of ending sentences with 'with' (excepting, of course, sentences in which I explain ending sentences with 'with' Wink).
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2005, 02:10:14 AM »

In my area:

New York-New Jersey.

Me, personally:

Due to the ridiculous amount I moved around as a child, my own dialect is very...muttish.

Moved to England at the age of 2, went to British schools...so I picked up and English accent very quickly.  No idea how to actually characterize it (I know I have a few recordings of myself *someplace,* although I might need a PAL VCR to play them), but it's likely to be rather close to BBC English due to the backgrounds of the Brits at the schools I went to.  Although probably less haughty-sounding.

Then I moved to Singapore and went to an American school--so you've got people from all over the country there.  I lost my English accent quickly--and due to the polyglot nature of the accents there, probably adopted something reasonably close to SAE.

California probably didn't have much of a lasting impact.

Then I moved back to New York--which has affected my accent somewhat (the caught-cot distinction, for one)--but it's a very mild one in my estimation.

So, yeah, my accent is weird.  A mild New York variation on SAE, with the occasional British influence.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2005, 02:22:47 AM »

Does anyone else use "bring/brang/brung"?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2005, 02:35:21 AM »

Australian, right on the boundary of general and cultivated.

(I'll bring it; he brought it; I brung it for me, even though i know the last is incorrect)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2005, 03:01:48 AM »

The Pacific Northwest probably has the least significant dialect of any region.  It is, along with parts of Ohio, I believe, considered the most typical American accent.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 03:02:44 AM »

The Pacific Northwest probably has the least significant dialect of any region.  It is, along with parts of Ohio, I believe, considered the most typical American accent.

Wait, so I have an American accent? Surprise
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 03:19:50 AM »

pac. northwest is the most advanced and interrnationally understandable accent in the US, yes. Although California, due tp movies and TV, has long been pushing that.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 05:24:47 AM »

My dialect used to be a cross between Received Pronounciation and Estuary English. My 2 years at Oxford have pushed it firmly towards RP.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 06:08:20 AM »

Well, the triangle is generally pretty similar, though; isn't it?
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 10:46:31 AM »

My accent is probably very close to that, but I still make the old cot/caught distinction, and most folks in the northwest do not.

I could go into broadcasting and probably not have to modify my pronunciations at all.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 10:56:26 AM »

I'm still confused that there are places were cot and caught have the same vowel sound Tongue
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 11:05:45 AM »

I'm still confused that there are places were cot and caught have the same vowel sound Tongue

All of New England and Canada.

A narrow band starting central Penn. and gradually widening as it goes west into Illinois, Missouri, and Iowa.

Basically everything west of the Great Plains.

The bastions of ah/aw preservation are the Mid Atlantic (where I'm from), the northern Midwest (where I'm also from), and the South (where I'm sort of from).
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 11:45:18 AM »

Hmm, I don't quite pronounce caught as 'cawt', it's between 'caht' and 'cawt'.  That's what I got for my parents being from Detroit, me being from Fort Wayne (NE Indiana), and being since age 4 in Minnesota.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2005, 12:05:33 PM »

Does anyone else use "bring/brang/brung"?

Yes, a lot of people here do, including myself. Smiley

As for the question, I guess coastal southern though every southern state has their own individual accent.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2005, 05:08:41 PM »

Hmm, I don't quite pronounce caught as 'cawt', it's between 'caht' and 'cawt'.  That's what I got for my parents being from Detroit, me being from Fort Wayne (NE Indiana), and being since age 4 in Minnesota.

In Detroit they pronounce "cot" almost like "cat," and "caught" as "cot."

Go across the bridge to Windsor, ON, and they pronounce "stack" the way Detroit people say "stock."
Vincent
azpol76
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2005, 05:31:37 PM »

Southwestern, I guess.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2005, 05:26:37 PM »

A mix of Pitmatic (especially that soft "r" sound), South Welsh English (Gwent rather than Glamorgan), North Welsh English (Merioneth. This one doesn't show up all that much... except on a few words), Black Country, Marches (this dialect wasn't listed...), Northants (doesn't show up much. Oh and that's old Northants; before all them outsiders turned up and ruined everything) and Yorkshire (West Riding).
Probably somethings I've missed out too

People can't quite place me Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2005, 05:32:42 PM »

A mix of Pitmatic (especially that soft "r" sound), South Welsh English (Gwent rather than Glamorgan), North Welsh English (Merioneth. This one doesn't show up all that much... except on a few words), Black Country, Marches (this dialect wasn't listed...), Northants (doesn't show up much. Oh and that's old Northants; before all them outsiders turned up and ruined everything) and Yorkshire (West Riding).
Probably somethings I've missed out too

People can't quite place me Smiley

I thought you spoke some dialect called "Mackem"Huh
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2005, 05:40:32 PM »

I agree. Plus, those who speak it are generally a little on the slow side. One thing that really annoys me are people who say "ain't" is proper English because it's in a dictionary. Roll Eyes Sad Angry
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2005, 05:50:37 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2005, 06:42:03 PM by patrick1 »

I speak a watered down New York accent.  A thick New York accent comes out occasionally usually when I am in an argument or yelling at the short comings of the local sports teams.   My Dad speaks just llike Archie Bunker- a dwindling working class white dialect. 
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2005, 06:02:48 PM »

General American with any differences the Northwest may have. Other than city names (a few of which outsiders can't pronounce like Puyallup) and a FEW words (Tolo, for example) that have stuck around, I honestly don't know of anything unique up here. We supposedly talk slow like some Southerners do, I've heard that from Californians. Other than that...Hmm, we all say grocery store. The Market refers to Pike Place Market. But yeah, the Northwest is a top spot for foreign exchange students because we're the easiest to understand and probably speak the most proper English of all Americans. I also think we emphasize the R quite a bit. ERRRR!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2005, 06:40:01 PM »

I speak a watered down New York accent.  A thick New York accent comes out occasionally usually when I am in an argument or yelling at the short comings of the local sorts teams.

That fairly aptly describes me.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2005, 06:52:06 PM »

Western New England/Hudson Valley combination
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length