MI-MIRS: Close race with Whitmer, Schuette loses to Mike Duggan by 15 points
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:29:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI-MIRS: Close race with Whitmer, Schuette loses to Mike Duggan by 15 points
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI-MIRS: Close race with Whitmer, Schuette loses to Mike Duggan by 15 points  (Read 1981 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »

41% Gretchen Whitmer (D)
40% Bill Schuette (R)

47% Mike Duggan (D)
32% Bill Schuette (R)

Link.

Duggan hasn't jumped into the race, though.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:49 PM »

41% Gretchen Whitmer (D)
40% Bill Schuette (R)

47% Mike Duggan (D)
32% Bill Schuette (R)

Link.

Duggan hasn't jumped into the race, though.

Would Duggan actually be a top-tier candidate? I've read only limited stuff on him but that is quite a gap there.
scutosaurus
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 10:53:24 PM »

Wow: that is an impressive margin for Duggan! What makes him so much better of a candidate (according to this poll, at least) than Gretchen Whitmer? Is it just name recognition?
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 11:38:39 PM »

By all indications, Duggan doesn't appear to be interested in jumping in.

I would be shocked if Duggan has a higher name recognition than Whitmer. Whitmer has been around for years and almost certainly is more well known in Michigan.

As for why Duggan is doing so much better than Whitmer, best guess is that he's gaining from the shine of Detroit's bounce back, while Whitmer might have a little "been around too long" syndrome.

I'm a huge fan of Duggan; all signs point to him not running, but this poll could encourage him to take the leap.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:51:37 PM »

Wow: that is an impressive margin for Duggan! What makes him so much better of a candidate (according to this poll, at least) than Gretchen Whitmer? Is it just name recognition?

Sexism
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »

Mike Duggan just won re-election as mayor on Tuesday. He’s not going to run.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 09:11:08 AM »

I would be shocked if Duggan has a higher name recognition than Whitmer. Whitmer has been around for years and almost certainly is more well known in Michigan.

As for why Duggan is doing so much better than Whitmer, best guess is that he's gaining from the shine of Detroit's bounce back, while Whitmer might have a little "been around too long" syndrome.

I'm a huge fan of Duggan; all signs point to him not running, but this poll could encourage him to take the leap.

Is El-Sayed gaining any traction?

Sadly, I don't think that he is. At least not yet. He's barnstorming the State, meeting with and talking with a lot of voters, but I'm just not sure how many people he's convincing.

Frankly, his biggest problem (aside from being a brown, Muslim man in the Midwest) is that he's only 32. Lotta Midwest voters would have a hard time voting for anyone age 32, let alone a brown one with the name Abdul.

Mike Duggan just won re-election as mayor on Tuesday. He’s not going to run.
If Mike Duggan thinks he can win the primary and general and wants to be governor, that won't stop him. Problem is he's denied it for years (not that that matters much) and that MI dems have been wanting Whitmer to run for a while now. Much as I wish it weren't so, it seems to me like Whitmer has an "it's her turn" type of backing from the state party and it isn't clear that the apparatus would prefer Duggan. If there are several polls like this, that sort of thinking could change...

In Illinois, the state Dem party had been lobbying Kennedy to run for a while, but once he did, the party dumped him for a "better" candidate; it isn't clear that the Michigan party would do the same for Duggan.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 10:38:21 AM »

I wish Mark Hackel would run he'd basically close any R's path by winning Macomb by a good margin.
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 06:50:34 PM »

Honestly, I'm not that surprised that Duggan is a better known that Whitmer. Being Mayor of Detroit carries a lot of attention, while despite being the former Democratic leader in the State Senate, Whiter is still just a state senator. Though it is a moot point because as you said, Duggan most likely isn't running.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »

I wish Mark Hackel would run he'd basically close any R's path by winning Macomb by a good margin.

Mark Hackel brazenly shat on Mark Schauer in 2014 by actively not endorsing him for Governor, and also endorsed a couple of downballot Republicans to take over Macomb county politics. the guy is the kind of person you run for Governor in Alabama, not Michigan.
#gravelgang #lessiglad
Serious_Username
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 09:40:08 AM »

Freep story on a potential Duggan run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The opening is there for Duggan, but it's an open question whether he can get past Whitmer in the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies