Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:17:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans?  (Read 3256 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: November 10, 2017, 11:17:18 PM »

While a large element of the GOP has gone in a direction that I cannot follow, I still support most of the core planks of the party. There are still many leaders in the party who believe in responsible center right government. Eric Holcomb and Todd Young from my home state are good examples of this. While the rise of Trump has made the crazy wing more powerful as of late, that is clearly completely unsustainable and while I'm not completely optimistic I do think the reasonable parts of the party will eventually rein in the party's excesses. Regardless, the Democratic Party seems to be on track to move further left, so I don't have many other options except to support the reasonable candidates in primaries and back folks like Holcomb and Young.
I once was an independent who believed as you do.  I hope that someday I might once more be an independent who believes as you do, but at present in the Republican Party, all supporting the sane responsible Republicans does is empower the crazy irresponsible ones.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 07:32:32 AM »

Also, to answer the OP, “charlatans, sex offenders, racists, and theocrats” represent 0.000000001% of the party

Somehow I doubt that there are 100 billion Republicans, which is the minimum number required for your claim to be true if you were trying to be literal. I know you weren't, but it does go show how many Republicans are numerically challenged and throw out numbers without regard for their meaning. Of course, better examples of Republican innumeracy are the House and Senate tax cut bills. Especially precious are the self-serving ones who claim it'll pay for itself.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:50 AM »

Once upon a time, the Republicans were the party of fiscal responsibility and limited government.  They long since stopped being for those things, tho they still trot them out when they can be used to block a policy they dislike for other reasons.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies