Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:15:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sane/Non-Trumpist Republicans - why are you still Republicans?  (Read 3227 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« on: November 11, 2017, 08:54:24 AM »
« edited: November 11, 2017, 08:56:27 AM by Fuzzy Bear »

While a large element of the GOP has gone in a direction that I cannot follow, I still support most of the core planks of the party. There are still many leaders in the party who believe in responsible center right government. Eric Holcomb and Todd Young from my home state are good examples of this. While the rise of Trump has made the crazy wing more powerful as of late, that is clearly completely unsustainable and while I'm not completely optimistic I do think the reasonable parts of the party will eventually rein in the party's excesses. Regardless, the Democratic Party seems to be on track to move further left, so I don't have many other options except to support the reasonable candidates in primaries and back folks like Holcomb and Young.

I admire your loyalty to your party and it’s values (er, it’s now seemingly former values).

I would posit a theory, however, that electing Democrats...however much you disagree with them...might actually serve as a wake up call to the GOP that they need to get it together and abandon the crazy wing of the party that has taken over.

Perhaps that's why some Democrats voted for Trump; they wanted to rein in the identity politcs and anti-working class globalism (manifesting in Open Borders Mania) that has become the new cornerstone of the Democratic Party.  Perhaps some Democrats don't view illegal aliens as their fellow countrymen (as a speaker at the 2016 Democratic National Convention actually said).  

Perhaps some Democrats aren't real happy about Maxine Waters becoming a "mainstream" figure.  Or where folks are labeled bigots because they don't want folks who are anatomically different from them to share the same public rest room.  Or a party that labels Biblical teachings as "hate speech", and they must reject Scripture in favor of Obergefell when discussing what marriage is in the eyes of God.

Has their strategy worked?  Has the Democratic Party become more to their liking?  Appeals like this make me think of Morgan Freeman in Lean on Me telling a 9th grader trying to get over on him that he was trying to con a con man.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:06:13 AM »

Anthony weiner. Bob Menendez. Bill clinton.

OMG all dems must be pedos too!

Wait, you just mentioned 3 people who aren't pedophiles...
Anthony Weiner isn't a pedophile? The guy is in prison for child pedophilia

Rep. Gerry Studds (D-MA) slept with a 17 year old male PAGE and was merely censured.  He later became a committee chairman (Merchant Marine and Fisheries).  And he kept getting re-elected.

Rep. Mel Reynolds (D-IL) went to prison for sex with a teenager in the 1990s.

Rob Lowe allegedly slept with a 16 year old during the Democratic National Convention in 1988 (granted that the age of consent in Georgia at that time was 14). 

Let's get real.  This sort of behavior is wrong, but it isn't a partisan issue.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies