Which other countries will try to mimic in '20 what Russia did in '16?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:23:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which other countries will try to mimic in '20 what Russia did in '16?  (Read 1722 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2017, 07:54:23 PM by Blue3 »

The US has shown itself to be vulnerable and easily influenced to the kind of activities the Russians orchestrated, so it's only logical that other countries will try to do the same in every election from now on.

We could have the Russian candidate, the Chinese candidate, the German candidate, the French candidate, the Canadian candidate, the Israeli candidate, the Saudi candidate, the Norwegian candidate, the Bhutanese candidate, etc.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:30 PM »

Most easily China, especially if Trump mucks things up so badly that China gets hurt. I would expect more subtlety.

Japan? If it is a choice between a liberal America and a fascist America... A fascistic America would end up at war with Japan for much the same reasons that a fascistic Japan ended up at war with America in the 1940s. 

India? Japan, only bigger (if poorer).

These are three  countries very different from America in culture, and they have the tech-savvy people who know American mass culture well enough to exploit it. China and India have really-good secret services and in view of what the Japanese are like, they likely have a really-good secret service whose existence is a secret. 

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 09:26:19 PM »

There was China for Clinton in 1996 and Israel for Romney in 2012.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

South 'Nam for Nixon in '68, and Iran for Reagan, can't forget those.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:56:25 PM »

The Philippines could do it in 2020.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 01:29:47 AM »

China and Israel both could join Russia in making Democratic votes "disappear".
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 03:00:21 AM »

The UK government should intervene in NY-2 to defeat Pete King
mencken
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:35:00 AM »

South 'Nam for Nixon in '68, and Iran for Reagan, can't forget those.

Of course we can't.
mgop
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »

rich muslim countries support clinton democrats since 90s, i don't think they will stop in 2020
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »

The UK government should intervene in NY-2 to defeat Pete King

I can sense a privatized effort by pro-Brexit Brits to influence 2020 in favor of a Trump re-election.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 01:09:30 PM »

China, the EU, an Arab bloc lead by the wealthy Gulf states, and a Latin American alliance between Brazil and Mexico.

https://rvbomally.deviantart.com/art/Superpower-for-Hire-701146067

As for OTL, the following countries could be accused of interfering in the 2020 election:

Israel
Mexico
China
Saudi Arabia
Qatar
UAE
Canada
Cuba

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »

I'm shocked nobody is saying North Korea, considering they managed to help bring down the wide release of The Interview movie years ago, an election interference by them won't seem out of the picture.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2017, 07:34:44 PM »

Hmm, not a lot of serious discussion here. Maybe I can fix that.

The Russia interference is highly instructive to others that would seek to do similar things, in terms of strategy, level of commitment, avenues of attack, and social divisions to exploit. What more, the level of the intervention this past election cycle and that which is still on going (yes, they're still taking actions to disrupt things, their social media bots are chiming in on the Alabama senate race as we speak) has made it clear that if another power wants to not only get involved but be successful at it, there'd be a massive level of commitment necessary now to get it rolling and honed to any ability before 2020.

But there's also these two issues:
- If this foreign power wants to support Trump, they don't have to bother, just let the Russians continue to do their thing. So don't bother.
- If this foreign power wants to support the Democratic nominee, they'd realize the Democratic Party is unlikely to accept such help as if it got found out, it would undermine the anti-Russia interference narrative position the party and its rank and file are taking right now. So again, don't bother.
- If this foreign power wants to support some third party with any hope of winning... well, again, don't bother.

So there's not really any incentive for any government to try to act as Russia is. Its really fighting the last war. If they want to counter Russia or just decrease the chances of a Trump reelect, they'd be best served by undermining Russia and their efforts. So no one will try to mimic Russia. But I suspect more than a couple might step up their game to counter their efforts.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »

Just what did Russia do though? A few thousand dollars worth of Facebook ads can hardly be called a decisive factor when pro-Clinton groups spent over $1 billion. The DNC debacle increasingly shows that Seth Rich (and maybe others) leaked info, which is why the focus has turned from hacking to ads. I could see Russia and China getting more involved with online ads in 2020, but realistically it won't be a major factor.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2017, 08:12:59 PM »

.........Anyway

I could see some Chinese attempt at influencing the election, but it seems like Russia has so much infrastructure dedicated to maintaining their attacks on the US electoral system, that they won't be eclipsed for a while. Hopefully, Europeans try and covertly influence us toward stability, if that's even possible
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »

China is the only one that would and could. I don't think the Japanese or Indians would risk damaging relations with us, especially Japan.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »

rich muslim countries support clinton democrats since 90s, i don't think they will stop in 2020

Have you not seen how Trump is literally being the Saudis poodle atm?
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »

Less than 30% of American Muslims are even Arab, and I doubt more than a fraction of them unironically support Saudi Arabia.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 04:20:25 AM »

The only one that has the motive and resources is China. Others might try to influence specific issues, but only China could or would engage in such a large campaign to pick a broadly friendly candidate.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:24:22 PM »

Less than 30% of American Muslims are even Arab, and I doubt more than a fraction of them unironically support Saudi Arabia.

We're not talking about the electorate, we're talking about the countries themselves. Trump has been very nakedly pro-saudi, far more than muh Clinton would have been.
Karpatsky
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »

We're not talking about the electorate, we're talking about the countries themselves. Trump has been very nakedly pro-saudi, far more than muh Clinton would have been.

My bad, I read 'countries' as 'counties'. Should have been a tip-off given I can't think of any rich majority-Muslim counties...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies