Raves
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:52:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Raves
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Raves  (Read 376 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:55:50 PM »

I love raves, anyone else here go to them or anything???

When I was a teenager this girl in one of my classes kept trying to get me to go to raves with her, but I was always like "ehhh nah not this time" and never really did it, but I didn't really know what it was anyway.

I've always liked EDM but someone told me that EDM was just "rave music for rich white girls who do lots of party drugs" so I went to a rave a while back to prove them wrong... but they were right. So yeah but I liked it anyway and enjoy doing it now.

So what do you guys think of that sort of thing?
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »

In that so many of the parties are now fully legal and the big festivals like Coachella, Glastonbury, and Bonnaroo have electronic music acts and DJ tents mean it is very different from 20-30 years ago when they were illegal or in really spotty venues. I've been to Movement Electronic Music Festival in Detroit 6 times in the past 8 years (skipped this year due to lineup). I used to DJ in college and in Japan. We would interview the acts when they came to Osaka area. I played in a few venues in Japan supporting guest artists from the UK and other countries - mostly drum and bass/jungle but a dash of techno, house, and hip hop. I sold most of my vinyl collection when I came back to the US but still get the occasional techno or drum and bass new tune digitally as well as filling in some gaps in my historical music collection which is very electro / funk oriented when it comes to dance related stuff. If it wasn't for the DJ side of it and enjoying mixing tunes, messing around on synths, drum machines and with MIDI and chilling out with the artists and local Dj's and producers then I doubt I would have stuck with it for so long as just a 'punter' as the British called the attendees.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 06:54:06 PM »

In that so many of the parties are now fully legal and the big festivals like Coachella, Glastonbury, and Bonnaroo have electronic music acts and DJ tents mean it is very different from 20-30 years ago when they were illegal or in really spotty venues. I've been to Movement Electronic Music Festival in Detroit 6 times in the past 8 years (skipped this year due to lineup). I used to DJ in college and in Japan. We would interview the acts when they came to Osaka area. I played in a few venues in Japan supporting guest artists from the UK and other countries - mostly drum and bass/jungle but a dash of techno, house, and hip hop. I sold most of my vinyl collection when I came back to the US but still get the occasional techno or drum and bass new tune digitally as well as filling in some gaps in my historical music collection which is very electro / funk oriented when it comes to dance related stuff. If it wasn't for the DJ side of it and enjoying mixing tunes, messing around on synths, drum machines and with MIDI and chilling out with the artists and local Dj's and producers then I doubt I would have stuck with it for so long as just a 'punter' as the British called the attendees.

I'm glad that I live now, if I'm going to be a part of the rave thing. Like I would be scared to go to an illegal one, or do MDMA.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 08:12:26 PM »

I'm glad that I live now, if I'm going to be a part of the rave thing. Like I would be scared to go to an illegal one, or do MDMA.

I never did ecstasy. Overrated. Or nitrous oxide stupidity. Or Ketamine, GHB, molly, acid, or speed.

I was in it more for the music.

Some people I knew did use but some only smoked weed, drank alcohol, smoked cigs like any other "scene"

Mid 90's drum and bass scene was in an upward trajectory. Great to be a part of that as it happened. Goldie, Roni Size, DJ Hype, 4Hero, Andy C, Kemistry & Storm, Grooverider. Those were the days.
vanguard96
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »

I never did ecstasy. Overrated. Or nitrous oxide stupidity. Or Ketamine, GHB, molly, acid, or speed.

Some people I knew did use but some only smoked weed, drank alcohol, smoked cigs like any other "scene". A few totally abstained.

Mid 90's drum and bass scene was in an upward trajectory. Great to be a part of that as it happened. Goldie, Roni Size, DJ Hype, 4Hero, Andy C, Kemistry & Storm, Grooverider. Those were the days.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »

Some people I knew did use but some only smoked weed, drank alcohol, smoked cigs like any other "scene"

Yeah, I don't do drugs, just drink sometimes.

I should listen to some of those guys.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies