Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:19:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 75
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls  (Read 143110 times)
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #450 on: November 16, 2017, 07:52:16 PM »

Curious that the Democrats would chose to deploy their "Frame a Republican for statutory rape, fooling everyone but /pol/ ace detectives" trump card in the one state where the Republican would still have a decent chance of winning. I would've used the wide array of paid-off witnesses on say, Pat Toomey instead.

Yeah, plus nationalizing the race carries downsides in Alabunga. If I had the ability to frame anybody of statutory rape right before an election, and if I were craven enough to use that power, I'd have used it on Blunt, Johnson, Toomey, Burr, or Rubio. Not Moore.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #451 on: November 16, 2017, 08:01:16 PM »

I mean even if it is forged (and I've not seen any conclusive evidence of this), there's no doubt that Moore harassed and stalked teenage girls repeatedly while both ADA and DA, and there's no denying that he was banned from his local mall over his conduct. While he may not have done anything technically illegal (though I believe the women who accuse him of attempted rape), that doesn't make him eligible for the US Senate.

I do wish Jones were a bit more moderate though - there would be a much better chance of an all-out embrace of his candidacy by Republicans like Collins, Murkowski, Gardner, and probably even McConnell after a point if he were pro-life and in the Heitkamp-Manchin wing of the party. Jones still is no better than even money imo, however, and even in the event he wins I see no real future for him as a senator from Alabama.

Three full years as a United States Senator isn't exactly small potatoes. And even if he loses in 2020, there would be a lot of new opportunities for him, whether in government or something else.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #452 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:22 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #453 on: November 16, 2017, 08:59:11 PM »

@EnglishPete: for the 2nd time, reduce that signature size significantly or I'm going to keep deleting your posts from here.

You know, there are even far better reasons for doing so. Tongue
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #454 on: November 16, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »

"Oh wow - a GOP Governor decided not to engage in a blatantly unconstitutional overthrow of government and the voting process! Huge FF!"

Tbf, people in the GOP keep throwing crazy ideas at her, and she keeps rejecting them. No guarantees that another governor would do the same. Credit where it's due I guess.

Not to mention she's facing a contested primary in a few months in an office she was just appointed to. Rigging...AHEM "rescheduling" the election would've brought her in ALL kinds of right wing bona fides.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #455 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:24 PM »

I have them both on ignore, but I'm fascinated to know:

Who's doing a better job of sexual assault denial? Creepo or English Prick?
swf541

« Reply #456 on: November 16, 2017, 09:13:12 PM »

Better job or more disturbing? The second would be the Prick the first would be Creepo i suppose though both are flailing horribly
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #457 on: November 16, 2017, 09:14:33 PM »

Better job or more disturbing? The second would be the Prick the first would be Creepo i suppose though both are flailing horribly

Much as expected. Thank you!

Carry on, rape apologists! Dance for our pleasure!
AtorBoltox

« Reply #458 on: November 16, 2017, 09:21:52 PM »

EnglishPete's defence is denial, whereas greedo's is that the actions aren't even that bad
AtorBoltox

« Reply #459 on: November 16, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

Anyway, watch Republicans seize on the Franken story as proof that both sides do it so they can be justified in voting for Moore
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »

Anyway, watch Republicans seize on the Franken story as proof that both sides do it so they can be justified in voting for Moore

One of a thousand reasons why the Democrats need to force Franken to resign or otherwise eject him. They can take a moral high ground here.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »

Laying low after coming out so forcefully isn't going to help Moore, especially while the airwaves are being dominated by Jones.

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2017, 10:20:15 PM »

One of a thousand reasons why the Democrats need to force Franken to resign or otherwise eject him. They can take a moral high ground here.
Too late.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »

Too late.

Eh, Mitch McConnell gave him some time with the ethics investigation.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #464 on: November 16, 2017, 11:10:05 PM »

lol, they're actually trying to pin this on the joos.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #465 on: November 16, 2017, 11:18:54 PM »

You know what I’m not buying this new poll the reason is because.....

It has Jeff Sessions and trump at worse approval ratings then Doug Jones,there is no way Jeff Sessions is at only
51-40 approval.

It is if Republicans are discouraged and not voting, thus falling out of the "likely voter screen". That would skew the electorate. Remember this is a special election so there could be a skew effect on the demographics of those who are voting. And considering that the Republican candidate happens to be a predatory animal, that would tend to put a damper on Republican, Conservative and Evangelical turnout, as well as there participation in polling.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #466 on: November 16, 2017, 11:22:10 PM »

It has Jeff Sessions and trump at worse approval ratings then Doug Jones,there is no way Jeff Sessions is at only
51-40 approval.

It is if Republicans are discouraged and not voting, thus falling out of the "likely voter screen". That would skew the electorate. Remember this is a special election so there could be a skew effect on the demographics of those who are voting. And considering that the Republican candidate happens to be a predatory animal, that would tend to put a damper on Republican, Conservative and Evangelical turnout, as well as there participation in polling.

Not only all of that, but Democrats are fired up.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #467 on: November 16, 2017, 11:30:07 PM »

Personally still gonna assume Moore is the frontrunner.

Remember, Fox News' poll leaned on the Jones side of things beforehand too.

Also, the supposed "manager of the mall at that time" who said Moore wasn't banned was only manager several years after all that stuff took place. He wasn't manager during the time Moore was actually banned.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #468 on: November 16, 2017, 11:36:48 PM »

51-40 approval.

And that matters a lot because the African American vote is the biggest variable, followed by those shaky college educated whites. Especially young ones who have a habit of not turning out. In these conditions, they are more likely to turn out.
Hydera

« Reply #469 on: November 16, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »

51-40 approval.

And that matters a lot because the African American vote is the biggest variable, followed by those shaky college educated whites. Especially young ones who have a habit of not turning out. In these conditions, they are more likely to turn out.

Its not impossible but repeating something like Scott Brown's win against Coakley, to beat Roy Moore is a uphill battle for the dems considering lower black turnout. Given that black turnout for many reasons is usually low and even lower in off year elections. Its gonna take a lot of cross-party anti-roy moore republicans to put Doug Jones over the line. 
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #470 on: November 17, 2017, 12:02:51 AM »

You can't compare Scott Brown winning in 2009 with this, because he won on actual voter discontent along with the poor campaign that Coakley ran. If Jones manages to win this (which looks likely), it will be because his opponent was a sexual predator who lusted for teen girls - not because Alabama is sending a message about policy or Trump, pretty much the exact opposite of Brown's 2009 win.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #471 on: November 17, 2017, 12:19:43 AM »

How do you know voters in Alabama are not discontent?

So many posters here tripping over themselves making excuses because they want to believe Moore is up when all the evidence points to Jones being in the lead.
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #472 on: November 17, 2017, 12:25:09 AM »

On the theory that the allegations against Moore are a Dem conspiracy: if the Dems were willing to go that low, why not just go all the way and make up allegations of gay relationships? Those claims would have hurt Moore more with his base.
DFL

« Reply #473 on: November 17, 2017, 12:50:47 AM »

On the theory that the allegations against Moore are a Dem conspiracy: if the Dems were willing to go that low, why not just go all the way and make up allegations of gay relationships? Those claims would have hurt Moore more with his base.
Hydera

« Reply #474 on: November 17, 2017, 12:58:29 AM »

Up it to allegations of gay relationships with black men and his base will get a heart-attack.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies