Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:28:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75
Author Topic: Alabama Megathread 2: Thou Shall Not Touch Teenage Girls  (Read 142232 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2017, 04:33:14 PM »

Limbaugh's defense of Moore: he was a Democrat at the time.  

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/360346-limbaugh-moore-was-a-democrat-at-time-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations

You can't make this stuff up.  Every day I become more inclined to believe we're living in a badly-written novel. Smiley
fluffypanther19
United States

« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2017, 04:44:46 PM »

http://thehill.com/homenews/media/360346-limbaugh-moore-was-a-democrat-at-time-of-sexual-misconduct-allegations

You can't make this stuff up.  Every day I become more inclined to believe we're living in a badly-written novel. Smiley
what the hell??? this country is just a badly made meme at this point
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2017, 04:58:58 PM »

And obviously he switched parties to one that he is more comfortable in.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2017, 05:00:32 PM »

krazen used this defense a few days ago, so not at all surprised.
UncleSam

« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »

Jfc really

kyc0705

« Reply #105 on: November 14, 2017, 05:27:05 PM »

Moore is back ahead on PredictIt. He's going to win.

Your name might be IceSpear, but your takes are scalding hot.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #106 on: November 14, 2017, 05:53:42 PM »

Moore is back ahead on PredictIt. He's going to win.

Your name might be IceSpear, but your takes are scalding hot.

I think IceSpear wants Moore to win for whatever bizarre reason.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 14, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »

krazen used this defense a few days ago, so not at all surprised.

Mystery solved: Krazen is Rush Limbaugh
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #108 on: November 14, 2017, 05:58:20 PM »

RNC pulls out

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting that RNC internals had Moore only +2 ahead last week; even if this doesn't move a lot of voters the combination of his poor fundraising, a possible write in, bad media coverage and lack of support can easily get rid of that lead.

Worth noting that IIRC the RNC did this with Akin in 2012; but simply gave money to the Missouri GOP instead
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #109 on: November 14, 2017, 05:59:24 PM »

Reminder to the pessimists: Moore could barely win statewide with Obama on the ballot.

Obviously it's a different scenario but it still shows that Moore wasn't very strong to begin with.

We already know he's not very strong. He's probably the weakest possible candidate Republicans have. That's why he was "only" going to win by 15-20 points before the allegations, and why he might only win by single digits now. But he's still going to win.

2012 was a different time, Trump changed the game. Also, the court race was not as partisan or nationalized as the Senate race is.
Polls showed about 10 point race before the allegations so I don't know what you're talking about. Also 20 points is the standard number for statewide R's.

Obviously it's a different time but Trump certainly didn't completely rewrite the rules of politics. I understand why Dems are pessimistic about this race given Trump's victory but it's still silly to be this pessimistic.

He was going to outperform the polls because all the "undecideds" were Moore supporters. That's still possible, though I'm less sure of it now. Trump, Bentley, and Shelby all won by ~30 points.

I'm not pessimistic because of Trump's victory, I'm pessimistic because it's Alabama. Even if Hillary won in a landslide I'd be saying the same thing. And there's no reason for a Democrat NOT to be pessimistic about an Alabama election.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: November 14, 2017, 06:00:52 PM »

Some of you guys really need to learn the difference between wanting something to happen and knowing it will. I wanted Hillary to win Texas, but I knew she wouldn't. I want to hit the lottery, but I know I won't.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #111 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:02 PM »

I wanted Hillary to win Texas, but I knew she wouldn't.
Do I really need to tell you why these situations aren't analogous
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #112 on: November 14, 2017, 06:03:29 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lmao
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2017, 06:06:41 PM »

You're right. Hillary probably had a better chance at winning Texas than Jones does of beating Moore.

And I don't know if you're implying that was a fringe thought or not, but Hillary winning Texas was a constant circlejerk here in 2016, particularly during her polling bounces. I was arguing against it all the time and was called a "concern troll" for it. Sound familiar? In fact, I was probably arguing about it with some of the same people that are now arguing Jones is going to win...also, did Atlas not overwhelmingly think Ossoff and Quist were going to win too?
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #114 on: November 14, 2017, 06:10:17 PM »

America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:44 PM »

You're right. Hillary probably had a better chance at winning Texas than Jones does of beating Moore.

And I don't know if you're implying that was a fringe thought or not, but Hillary winning Texas was a constant circlejerk here in 2016, particularly during her polling bounces. I was arguing against it all the time and was called a "concern troll" for it. Sound familiar? In fact, I was probably arguing about it with some of the same people that are now arguing Jones is going to win...also, did Atlas not overwhelmingly think Ossoff and Quist were going to win too?

Delete your account.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #116 on: November 14, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »

I dunno, dude, there's nothing wrong with being excited about Dems having a shot at a senatorial seat from Alabama for the first time in over twenty years. Moore is still probably the favorite at this point, but who cares? Do you go to football games where your team is the underdog and mope for the entire game about how pointless it is?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: November 14, 2017, 06:15:16 PM »

Delete your account.

To be fair, both were/are below a 1% chance. It's kind of splitting hairs.

And why would I do that when I have accolades to accept in a month? Tongue
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:00 PM »

Delete your account.

To be fair, both were/are below a 1% chance. It's kind of splitting hairs.

And why would I do that when I have accolades to accept in a month? Tongue
We shall see who's right here.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #119 on: November 14, 2017, 06:17:46 PM »

Sounds like somebody needs to review the tale of mypalfish.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #120 on: November 14, 2017, 06:19:04 PM »

Someone is making fake robocalls in Alabama claiming to be a WaPo reporter seeking damaging info on Moore for money.  Details here

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: November 14, 2017, 06:21:21 PM »

I dunno, dude, there's nothing wrong with being excited about Dems having a shot at a senatorial seat from Alabama for the first time in over twenty years. Moore is still probably the favorite at this point, but who cares? Do you go to football games where your team is the underdog and mope for the entire game about how pointless it is?

Getting excited for a win when you're probably going to lose (or in this case, almost certainly going to lose) leads to Ossoff level meltdowns. I didn't really pay too much attention to that race, but figured Handel would win by a few points. It's a lot easier to view things from a clear and unbiased perspective when you're not emotionally invested.

I don't know what you mean by "who cares"? This entire forum is built upon election data and predictions. Obviously to some extent we all care. And you just said people were "excited" by the false hope of a Jones victory.

A better analogy would be telling my friend to stop wasting his money playing the lottery every day, rather than filling him with false hope and BS optimism about how "if you just keep trying, I'm sure you'll be rich someday! : o)"
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #122 on: November 14, 2017, 06:22:53 PM »

Someone is making fake robocalls in Alabama claiming to be a WaPo reporter seeking damaging info on Moore for money.  Details here

Named "Bernie Bernstein," just a little too on the nose I think
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #123 on: November 14, 2017, 06:28:55 PM »

Getting excited for a win when you're probably going to lose (or in this case, almost certainly going to lose) leads to Ossoff level meltdowns. I didn't really pay too much attention to that race, but figured Handel would win by a few points. It's a lot easier to view things from a clear and unbiased perspective when you're not emotionally invested.

I don't know what you mean by "who cares"? This entire forum is built upon election data and predictions. Obviously to some extent we all care. And you just said people were "excited" by the false hope of a Jones victory.

A better analogy would be telling my friend to stop wasting his money playing the lottery every day, rather than filling him with false hope and BS optimism about how "if you just keep trying, I'm sure you'll be rich someday! : o)"

That's a horrible analogy, unless you're actually putting money on this race. Does it cost anything to support Jones and hope he wins?

And it's not a binary option between resigning yourself to defeat and melting down if your side doesn't win - it's totally fine and normal to get swept up in the excitement while being able to accept a loss if it happens.
McGovernForPrez

« Reply #124 on: November 14, 2017, 06:30:38 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/11/14/rnc-cuts-off-moore-244904

According to the article internal polling only put Moore ahead by two points before the scandal.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies