2020 Papal Conclave
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:30:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  2020 Papal Conclave
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you support?
Péter Erdő

Piero Marini

Luis Antonio Tagle

Joseph W. Tobin

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: 2020 Papal Conclave  (Read 1462 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2018, 04:03:42 PM »

I’m inclined to Tobin myself - he seems to not be remotely divisive.
Small L
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »

The only one I was already familiar with is Tagle, but judging from their wikipedia pages I would prefer Erdö. I don't want a US pope, and I think Tobin is too new at his current position anyway.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 06:20:48 PM »

Francis doesn't look like a man who has just two years to live.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:49 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2018, 10:13:37 PM by True Federalist »

I'm not that familiar with the papabile. Of these four I like Tagle the best of what little I know of him, tho I think he could use some more seasoning.  Marini has the needed seasoning, and I'm doubtful the conclave would choose someone more progressive than him to succeed Francis. Tobin just doesn't have the types of experiences I think a modern pope needs.  He spent too little time as a local bishop before getting bumped into the big leagues and there's no way to undo that now. Erdö definitely doesn't appeal to me.  Not only is he a traditionalist, he's a Marian and with my Protestant upbringing, Mariology leaves me cold.

So short story: Tagle > Marini > somebody else > Tobin > Erdö
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 10:46:33 PM »

The only one I was already familiar with is Tagle, but judging from their wikipedia pages I would prefer Erdö. I don't want a US pope, and I think Tobin is too new at his current position anyway.

Just curious.. why not?
Small L
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 12:47:44 AM »

Just curious.. why not?
I've tried typing out an answer a few times but I had trouble expressing what I think, so sorry if this is a little scattered.

I guess my strongest worry is that the media coverage here of such a papacy would be obnoxious. Maybe people here would see him as 'our pope' and suddenly feel entitled to who-knows-what from him.

Also, I doubt a US pope could have played the role Francis did in the Cuba trade deal, and we are a lot more involved internationally as a power broker than say, Italy or Argentina. Basically, I have the opposite worry of the know-nothings. I worry that an american in the Vatican will be limited by pressure and attention from his home country. All that being said, if the Holy Spirit wants it, the Holy Spirit gets it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:09:03 AM »

Honestly, I think the next Popes for at least the next 50-100 years should only come from the Global South.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 09:50:35 PM »

Probably Erdo
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »

Honestly, I think the next Popes for at least the next 50-100 years should only come from the Global South.

I'm pretty sure that the global South is much more theologically conservative than the global north.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:59:01 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the global South is much more theologically conservative than the global north.

That's an enormous overgeneralization, both in terms of people and in terms of issues. And either way, this is more important than ideology.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2018, 12:30:49 AM »

I'm against such arguments, though not necessarily against a Pope from the Global South. At risk of reciting what sounds like a Republican talking point, the conclave ought to choose a Pope based on who they believe will best lead the Church, not who checks off the right boxes for political geography.

Anyways, of these four, Erdo is the best and Tagle also okay. Tobin would be problematic and Marini a disaster.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 07:15:12 AM »

I'm against such arguments, though not necessarily against a Pope from the Global South. At risk of reciting what sounds like a Republican talking point, the conclave ought to choose a Pope based on who they believe will best lead the Church, not who checks off the right boxes for political geography.

Anyways, of these four, Erdo is the best and Tagle also okay. Tobin would be problematic and Marini a disaster.

Agreed
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 12:31:05 PM »

the conclave ought to choose a Pope based on who they believe will best lead the Church, not who checks off the right boxes for political geography.

My point is that there's a strong correlation between the two.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »

I'm not really familiar with the situation, but what is it that differentiates these four in your mind?  I'm curious what would make Marini a disaster.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 03:52:15 PM »

I'm not really familiar with the situation, but what is it that differentiates these four in your mind?  I'm curious what would make Marini a disaster.

In my mind Erdo would be the best of these four because he's the least likely to make everything into a political football. His statements on basically every controversial topic have been well within the mainstream of the Church.

Tagle is within the mainstream of the Church; however, he's currently embroiled in a political fight with Rodrigo Duterte. While Duterte is a nasty guy, I don't think it would be best for the Church to have someone leading it who is liable to interpret everything through that lens.

I'd prefer either of the two above to Tobin because I'm less convinced of his doctrinal views. He's mostly avoided the sorts of mistakes that other American cardinals have made of injecting himself constantly into political matters, besides when he's been forced into them, but I still have concerns.

Marini is a known gadfly who would rip the Church into a civil war. His views on practically every topic are far from the mainstream. The current controversies are nothing compared to the eruption that he'd cause.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies