DFL's Trusty Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:39:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DFL's Trusty Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: DFL's Trusty Campaign Thread  (Read 2698 times)
DFL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2017, 10:43:57 AM »
« edited: February 19, 2018, 01:07:11 AM by DFL »

Hi, I'm new here, allow me to introduce myself...

My name is DFL, in honor of my home state's Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party. I was born in Bemidji Minnesota, way up at the top of the Mississippi River. My parents were both immigrants -- my mother a professor at Bemidji State (Go Beavers!), and my father an engineer. We moved down to Minneapolis, in my opinion the greatest city in Atlasia, when I was a kid, and I've lived there since. It's where I want to raise my kids, and it's where I want to retire.

I have been so fortunate to teach at the University of Minnesota (Ski-U-Mah!), and never thought I would leave my job for anything. Well here I am. I've told my students, some of the brightest kids in Minnesota, that when the government isn't doing its job the people must take responsibility and get it done themselves. For too long I've sat idly by and been a hypocrite to those very words.

I think our Parliamentary Democracy sets Fremont a step above the other regions, but our House of Commons isn't worth much if our representatives don't actually represent us. I get what you're thinking, what does a political novice History professor have to teach us about politics? Why should we elect someone who is brand new to this and believe him when he says he can fix things? Well here's why, Fremont:

Our House of Commons has become an echo chamber for our Speaker, Kamala, who really has been pulling the weight of the entire House, and Prime Minister Truman, who runs the procedure. That's not to say our other representatives have been completely inactive -- they vote.

I don't want to make enemies here -- that's not productive. But I do want to bring light upon issues that our citizens are concerned about. Out of the six members of our House of Commons, two -- the leaders -- make up almost all discourse. Fremont is better than this.

We deserve legislators that debate, discuss, and introduce novel ideas for our region. We need legislation on the technologies and problems of tomorrow and the issues of today. I'm not going to pretend like I know all the issues, or all the solutions. I'm new here. There's going to be a learning curve. I will say, however, that I will listen, I will participate, I will do my job as a legislator to bring new ideas to the chamber, and execute them. I will do my part to ensure our government is no longer floating in the drowsy slumber of inactivity, but striding from one issue to the next with vitality and resolve.

You may not know me well, but I hope to get to know all of you, and all of Fremont a lot better as a member of our House of Commons.

My name is DFL, I'm a Minnesotan, a Fremonter, and an Atlasian, and I'll be running with the Citizens Party to be your new member of the House of Commons.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 11:36:54 AM »

Always a pleasure to see new people standing up and running for office, endorsed, good sir!
DFL

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 12:58:20 PM »

Professor DFL speaks from the University of Minnesota campus in Minneapolis

Hello fellow Minnesotans and Fremonters! It's great to see so many familiar faces in the crowd! Before I get started, let me just thank my family for supporting me in what I'm sure is both exciting and anxiety-inducing for them, and my friends and colleagues for giving me the resolve and inspiration to run to represent our great region.

A leader must have a set of guiding policies and ideals that guide them. So must a member of our House of Commons. It's not worth much for me to talk about making change without saying what changes I'll be making. I want to talk about a few things that I believe in, and that I think Fremonters deserve to have talked about in Denver.

First, I want to talk about preparing Fremont for tomorrow.

Technological innovation, at the pace it's moving today, is poised to make our region and nation look very different in as little as a decade from now. Fremont needs sound, reasonable policy to make sure we weather out what could be a nasty storm. Automation, when fully unleashed, has the opportunity to make millions of jobs unnecessary, and put so many of our hardworking friends, family, and neighbors out of their jobs. We need to promote worker retraining programs to make sure we don't have a massive societal earthquake, while at the same time slowly ushering in this new technology which will no doubt revolutionize our economy.

Technological development doesn't end there. Driverless cars are poised to take over our roads, and we need proper regulations and insurance protections for them. Drones are becoming cheaper and more versatile and yet they still lack proper laws to ensure their safe usage. Fremont must be a society prospering today and ready for tomorrow.

I also want to talk about looking at a sustainable economic future for our region.

Fremont has blazed a progressive economic trail that its leaders should be proud of. This isn't where our economy should stop, however. As we move forward we as Fremonters must ensure that all of our citizens are getting the benefits of our economy. If I am elected to the House of Commons, I will fight for minimum wages that reflect local costs of living, ensuring that all of our citizens have a living wage, not a blanket minimum wage imposed by Denver or Nyman.

I also believe that with upcoming technological upheavals in our workplace, our leaders need at the very least to discuss a transition to a universal basic income, or UBI. If the move to automation catches our economy off-guard, or is underestimated by our best economists, we must do our part to ensure that the people of Fremont are kept financially safe and secure. How would we finance this? Through simple and common-sense taxes on the machines that replace our workers. Our CEOs don't deserve to collect all the benefits from this automation, our people do. No option that could possibly bring our citizens security must be left unturned.

In conclusion, I come to the people of Fremont with a promise.

Agree with me or not, Fremont needs debate, action, and dedication in its House of Commons.

I am putting forth a bold set of policies that I will keep letting you know about that I believe can reinvigorate debate in Denver, and move Fremont forward.

Stand with me and the Citizens Party. Stand with the future of Fremont.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 01:43:44 PM »

Always a pleasure to see new people standing up and running for office, endorsed, good sir!
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:56:21 PM »

I'm very glad to see new citizens running for the Commons — good luck, sir!

If I am elected to the House of Commons, I will fight for minimum wages that reflect local costs of living, ensuring that all of our citizens have a living wage, not a blanket minimum wage imposed by Denver or Nyman.
I couldn't agree more — it so happens that the Commons passed just such a bill earlier this year, implementing a "local living wage" rule indexing the regional minimum wage to the calculated cost of living by county.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »

Endorsed.
DFL

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 04:08:09 PM »

I'm very glad to see new citizens running for the Commons — good luck, sir!

If I am elected to the House of Commons, I will fight for minimum wages that reflect local costs of living, ensuring that all of our citizens have a living wage, not a blanket minimum wage imposed by Denver or Nyman.
I couldn't agree more — it so happens that the Commons passed just such a bill earlier this year, implementing a "local living wage" rule indexing the regional minimum wage to the calculated cost of living by county.

Fantastic! It's great to hear about the progress Fremont has made. Obviously, I am still getting acquainted with all of the many policies here in Fremont and Atlasia -- there are simply too many to reasonably learn in the time I have been getting acquainted with our political system. As I outline my platform, you may hear and see things that are redundant with policies already passed, and I thank our Prime Minister for informing me of what I missed. I know the learning curve here in the political realm is one I haven't fully climbed yet, and I ask that as the voters of Fremont follow my candidacy that they keep me accountable and up to date. My job right now as a candidate and if elected as a legislator is to listen, and voice what I hear from the people. I'm humbled and excited that I still have much to learn.
DFL

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:38 PM »

Many thanks!
DFL

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:12:37 PM »

House of Commons Candidate DFL answering questions at a town hall in Omaha, NE

How’s everybody doing? I gotta tell you I’ve heard the drive down here to Omaha wasn’t the prettiest but I know me and my team sure enjoyed it. I know that to make it to the House of Commons we had to take our campaign to the road and get in touch with the people of Fremont, and let me say between here and Minneapolis I’ve learned a great deal.

Before we get to that, I want to briefly mention how humbled I’ve been over the past day to receive endorsements from Former Senator Cris from here in Fremont, wxtransit from Texas, and our own Former President Lumine. In the short time our campaign has been off the ground, the response has been amazing, and I want to say no matter if we make it to Denver or not, I’ll have been humbled to have been a part of a movement like this.

The reason I’m really here today, however, isn’t to boast -- it’s to let you all know where I stand and what I’ve heard.

First of all, I’m delighted that as a region we have legalized marijuana. This is something that will undoubtedly keep giving back to our region in terms of reduced crime and smuggling, as well as tax revenue. My question is why do we stop here? Our regional government should be promoting greater research into the medicinal uses and benefits of cannabis, as well as other substances still regarded as taboo, namely psychedelics. We as a region should be making sure that no stone is left unturned when it comes to the safety and health of our constituents.

Fremont’s new carbon tax also deserves its praise. Protecting our environment not only for ourselves but for our children should be a top priority of any government. Our GREEN Act will undoubtedly help to spur the growth of green technology, but I believe there are fields left unexplored that demand our attention. Offshore and wave-based power generation poses an intriguing prospect for research, and I would work to make sure it gets attention. If you haven’t already noticed, as a professor I am research-oriented. I believe our government should be doing its homework and making sure the solutions we bring are truly the best.

Finally, let’s talk a little bit more about homework. Our government has worked to make university more affordable, but there are still students here in Fremont that are lost when it comes to applying. We need to make sure these kids aren’t left behind, and that they too can take advantage of a collegiate education. Education is also of the utmost importance for the youngest of our children. While I commend the Horace Mann Act for allocating funds for districts wishing to adopt a universal Pre-K system, I don’t think this goes far enough. Pre-K has been proven to show benefits throughout a child’s educational development, and I am of the belief that every child should have access, and go to preschool just as if it was grade school.

The people I've talked to around Fremont, be they farmers, businessmen and women, mothers, fathers, are talking about change. I would be lying if I said that we as a region haven't made fantastic progress -- we have -- but that progress should not come from only a select few of our elected officials. Our representatives shouldn't be able to get elected and stay elected regardless of how much work they put into their jobs. We as Fremonters must demand that our House of Commons does the work we elected them to, and that's the kind of change I think people are talking about.

I'd love to be your candidate to help make that change happen and reinvigorate our House of Commons --

(incoherent chattering)

I’m sorry, are we running out of time? I’ll go ahead and take some questions from the audience then...

(If there are any questions regarding my candidacy, feel free to ask them below!)
DFL

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 05:08:04 PM »

Candidate DFL being interviewed

In an interview with the Los Angeles Times:

People ask me why I’m running so intensively for this election, and I tell them this: though our House of Commons may not get the most attention or have the most glamour, it’s an incredibly vital institution in shaping the everyday lives of Fremonters. I’m running my campaign different than the norm because I believe the norm isn’t working. Campaigning for a position as important as the House of Commons requires a candidate to demonstrate work on the campaign trail so that Fremonters know they’ll put in work once in office. I think members of the Commons have taken election and reelection for granted. They’ve held the belief that the people of Fremont are okay with electing and reelecting people who don’t put the work in to earn it. Maybe that’s worked in the past. I think if we really strive to change that mindset now by showing Fremonters what a campaign for our House of Commons can look like we can raise the bar. That’s just my two cents on it anyway.
DFL

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 12:11:52 AM by DFL »

House of Commons Candidate DFL talks to Canadian PM Justin Trudeau after his speech in Minnesota

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
DFL

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 04:53:59 PM »

House of Commons Candidate DFL on a horse in downtown Billings

Billings, Montana

Hey there everyone! It’s great to finally make it out west to the open country of Fremont.

Just in case the word hasn’t got out, voting opens up tonight at midnight! This is gonna be the last speech I make before the polls open, and I want to wrap things up and hopefully earn your vote.

This past week, we’ve seen numerous campaigns of officials old and new get off the ground, all with a vision of how to keep Fremont the best region in Atlasia. I’ve been fortunate enough to travel our great region and meet with voters like you who are maybe ready for a change, maybe ready for something new.

You may look at my progressive platform and see some familiarity with the path Fremont is already on, and that’s great! I’m proud of our region’s progressive path and hope the rest of Atlasia follows in Fremont’s footsteps. But I also believe we can do better.

A spot in our House of Commons must be earned, not simply handed over. Membership in our House of Commons demands that those we trust with such power wield it and wield it well. We need a forward-thinking vision, a progressive vision, a vision that holds our elected officials to a higher standard.

I have laid out my policies and promises this campaign, and I’ve been honored that so many people have listened. The most recent tracking poll of the race has shown our campaign tied in the lead for first-preference in the House of Commons. That’s a big deal! That is thanks to the hard work of my staff, and most of all you. Thank you for listening, for being receptive, and for believing in change.

I will make one last promise here on the campaign trail before the votes start getting tallied. I promise to keep you, the people, updated weekly of what we’re doing in Denver. It can be tedious or difficult to find access to the House of Commons, and it shouldn’t be that way. If elected, my team and I will be compiling a summary of bills, events, and things you need to know from the House to make sure that we are held accountable.

It has been a privilege traveling this great region and meeting all of you. I hope to have your support when the ballot boxes open, because I promise you’ll have mine if I make it to Denver.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 01:09:38 AM »

Congratulations, Mr. MP! If you govern anything like you campaign, Fremont will be well-served by your tenure.
DFL

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 01:42:11 PM by DFL »

MP-Elect DFL at his victory rally in Minneapolis after a second-place finish in tonight's election

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Hello! Yes, hello!

It’s great to be back home in Minneapolis! First of all, I would like to congratulate First Minister-elect Kamala, who I know will do a great job leading Fremont in our upcoming session. To our outgoing Prime Minister Truman, Fremont is much better because of your leadership. I would also like to congratulate my friends in the Labor and Peace alliance, who I look forward to working with and building a constructive discourse with in our Parliament.

Most of all, I would like to thank you, the people of Fremont. Without your participation and your voices, our movement would be nowhere. I knew our message had power, but I would have never imagined to place second in our election. I am deeply honored and most of all humbled by your support and trust you have placed in me. I promise that with me, what you voted for is what you get.

I wanted to keep this message short. You've heard me talk enough, now its time to walk.

Change is happening in Fremont. Good night, and I'll see you again in Denver!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »

My sincere congratulations, DFL, you've shown some remarkable skill over the past few days. Keep up the good work!
DFL

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:40:05 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2017, 11:44:49 AM by DFL »

My sincere congratulations, DFL, you've shown some remarkable skill over the past few days. Keep up the good work!
Congratulations, Mr. MP! If you govern anything like you campaign, Fremont will be well-served by your tenure.

Many thanks to the both of you for your help and guidance. You represent the best of Atlasia.
DFL

« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2017, 01:21:45 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2017, 06:37:51 PM by DFL »

The Office of DFL
November 26th, 2017

DFL

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2017, 11:07:12 PM by DFL »

The Office of DFL
December 3rd, 2017

DFL

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 11:32:33 AM »

The Office of DFL
December 11th, 2017

DFL

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »

The Office of DFL
December 17th, 2017

DFL

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2017, 01:29:04 AM »

The Office of DFL
December 26th, 2017
DFL

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2017, 01:55:34 AM »

MP DFL outside the capital in Denver discussing the recently-passed RSEA

Denver, Colorado

Hello! Good morning to you all.

I’d like to, if I may, make a statement about the Responsible Sex Education Act, or RSEA, that just passed unanimously in the Parliament.

First of all, I take full responsibility for this legislation. As the author and sponsor, it is my duty to stand by the RSEA in the face of both criticism and commendation. I wrote the RSEA will the full intention to help move Fremont forward — that’s the whole reason I ran for the Parliament in the first place. I believe that this piece of legislation does that, and tackles an important issue in the process — the issue of sexuality and education in our great region. I knew when writing this act that there would be controversy, and Mr. Reactionary, Speaker of the Southern Chamber, brought up during debate many of the concerns that the citizens of Utah are now. I understand your concerns, but I must stand firm for the modernization of sex education in Fremont.

As time progresses, our knowledge of ourselves and the world around us grows. Schools have had to change their curriculums since the inception of this nation to best equip our students with accurate information, and this act is no exception. To put it frankly, the data is on our side. Our nation and region have tried abstinence-only education for long enough and the real-world results do not support us keeping it. I as well as our Parliament believe that this issue is important enough to not allow states or parents to opt-out of a curriculum that decreases their chances for sexually transmitted diseases and teen pregnancies, and helps dispel dangerous ignorance on issues that affect every single person alive. Whether it be giving our LGBTQ+ students the resources and acceptance they deserve, or giving all of our students a positive, constructive, and accurate view of their own bodies, this piece of legislation is vital and necessary.

To the folks in Utah, I ask this of you: give this piece of legislation a chance. As a father myself, I know that every parent wants the best for their child, and I also know that we as parents disagree on what “the best” is. With that being said, I believe that every student in Fremont deserves to be informed on every issue, no matter how tough or taboo it may seem. If we as a society want to break down some of our harmful taboos, it makes all of Fremont and Atlasia a better place.

To the lawmakers in Utah, I ask this of you: think of your constituents. Both you and my colleagues were elected to serve the people, and at the end of the day that should be our goal. Resisting the implementation of this act is doing your citizens a disservice by cutting vital public school funding, and likewise diverting funds from public schools for vouchers is as much a disservice to Utahans receiving a public education. Protest this act all you’d like, and if you feel my colleagues and I aren’t representing you, vote us out of office in January. But do not punish your students for this piece of legislation — that is truly condemnable, and in nobody’s best interests.

I wrote the RSEA with the goal of moving Fremont forward, and I intend to introduce and pass even more legislation to accomplish this. If you have concerns over any of the legislation we introduce, tell us. We’ll listen.

Thank you for your time.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2017, 02:43:23 AM »

You’ve done fantastic work on an issue that doesn’t get half as much attention as it should — as a high school junior, I didn’t even learn that condoms expire until my friend told me last year. Keep it up!
DFL

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 03:02:15 PM »
« Edited: January 02, 2018, 04:55:10 PM by DFL »

The Office of DFL
January 1st, 2018

wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:04:43 PM »

I would support you as First Minister, but then again, I don't live in Fremont. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies