EU creates mega-army
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:01:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  EU creates mega-army
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: EU creates mega-army  (Read 2212 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2017, 07:56:52 PM »

http://www.businessinsider.com/eu-countries-agree-mega-army-2017-11

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Should their first move be an invasion of Russia?
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:59:52 PM »

multipolarity is such a great idea
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »

what no

I'd prefer if we didn't have another world war.

Besides, isn't this what NATO is for? Shouldn't the EU be more concerned with economy?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:32:45 PM »

what no

Besides, isn't this what NATO is for? Shouldn't the EU be more concerned with economy?

https://www.nato.int/cps/ic/natohq/official_texts_133163.htm

EU had, realistically, only two states capable of long-term deployment offensive and subsequent counter-insurgency in a theatre of war. France and the UK. They've just lost one. Really CSDP is what the American think-tanks have been wanting all along : the EU MSs taking defence seriously.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 09:05:26 PM »

Good to see Germany taking a lead role in these affairs. France is a bit more iffy, considering the broad support in that country for Mélenchon and Le Pen.

That said, will Ukraine ever be allowed to join the E. U.? Or will Russian intimidation continue to prevent it?
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »

what no

https://www.nato.int/cps/ic/natohq/official_texts_133163.htm

EU had, realistically, only two states capable of long-term deployment offensive and subsequent counter-insurgency in a theatre of war. France and the UK. They've just lost one. Really CSDP is what the American think-tanks have been wanting all along : the EU MSs taking defence seriously.

Ah ok. Thank you!

I'm still somewhat opposed to this and would prefer a more economic-based EU, but I can see why one would like an EU-based army.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 11:34:08 PM »

what no

It would be suicide anyway. To make up for their perpetually lackluster military pro-USSR, Russia has made it clear that they will use nuclear weapons if met with overwhelming conventional forces. I would think a large military group blowing past their border would count Tongue
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 11:39:50 PM »

what no

It would be suicide anyway. To make up for their perpetually lackluster military pro-USSR, Russia has made it clear that they will use nuclear weapons if met with overwhelming conventional forces. I would think a large military group blowing past their border would count Tongue

This.

We're not in Napoleon's day anymore where you could just say "f*** it" and invade the next country without massive damage worldwide.
Tirnam
France

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.35

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »

Another proof that Brexit is one of the best thing that ever happened to the EU.
We are finally moving forward without the UK blocking any further political integration.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 06:01:46 AM »

Very, very good. Macron is doing well.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 06:24:11 AM »

what no

Speaking of Russia's conventional arms, it's really a bizarre topic. On one hand they have a sophisticated military industry, especially for external markets, but at the same time they don't manufacture some essential spare parts needed for maintenance of their own arms. They were operating under "lol, why manufacture if we can just buy it?", and then sanctions came...
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 08:21:36 AM »

you guys got this? again?  We (the US) can leave now?  Germany won't be invading anybody in twenty five years?  We're getting tired of keeping you dumb whiteys from killing each other, will you finally be able to control yourselves?
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 08:51:44 AM »

Another proof that Brexit is one of the best thing that ever happened to the EU.
We are finally moving forward without the UK blocking any further political integration.

We've also lost a strongly pro-market and pro-trade country Cry.

I've grown much more supportive of the EU overall (I never supported a Nexit or something like that, but I used to be pretty negative about the EU), so if this causes European armed forces to become more efficient I strongly support it. NATO remains our primary safeguard (and should be expanded), but liberal democracies working together on defence matters is a good thing.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 12:01:01 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 12:02:48 PM by Come grasp the mighty avatar of our admin »

Since the whole Crimean business I've grown more supportive towards NATO and don't want this to go. But I've also been long in favor of integrated European military defense. Aside of my European federalist views, the two are not mutually exclusive. To the contrary, such a force would add a solid second pillar to the Atlantic defense.

Also the fact PiS is currently pretty much destroying the Polish military makes me even more in favor of this project.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

I've grown much more supportive of the EU overall (I never supported a Nexit or something like that, but I used to be pretty negative about the EU), so if this causes European armed forces to become more efficient I strongly support it. NATO remains our primary safeguard (and should be expanded), but liberal democracies working together on defence matters is a good thing.
Exactly. This is a very good idea.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »

Austria (= neutral) only joined this thing for training and knowledge reasons (and probably will never fully join or engage in any battles/maneuvers).

Plus, it would be better if the EU managed to set up a common, effective border patrol agency that keeps the economic migrants in Africa and the Middle-East - where they belong.

Other than that, the FPÖ wants to increase military spending to 1% of GDP here in the coalition talks (currently, we are spending just 0.65% of the GDP on the military - one of the lowest amounts on the planet).
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 02:03:26 PM »

Good, it's about time the gap between the US and Russia be filled.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »

you guys got this? again?  We (the US) can leave now?  Germany won't be invading anybody in twenty five years?  We're getting tired of keeping you dumb whiteys from killing each other, will you finally be able to control yourselves?

Well, the EU is the 4th Reich so the US have failed I guess /s
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 02:49:06 PM »

It would make sense to unify the Coast Guard, at the very least.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 06:46:23 PM »

Nice article

http://www.ecfr.eu/article/commentary_eu_defence_efforts_miss_the_open_goal_again
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2017, 06:00:22 AM »

Well, that just gave Eurosceptics a campaign point to make.

Why? Because it makes it harder for Russia to invade us Tongue?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 05:27:24 PM »

Yup.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 05:39:03 PM »

Yup.

Fairly sure this was being reported as in the works before Brexit - I think Leave even made hey with it during the campaign.

You'd also have to assume there were more obstacles than the UK if it's ended up a damp squib, as the link above appears to suggest.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2017, 05:59:36 AM »
« Edited: November 18, 2017, 06:43:59 AM by coloniac »

Yup.

Fairly sure this was being reported as in the works before Brexit - I think Leave even made hey with it during the campaign.

You'd also have to assume there were more obstacles than the UK if it's ended up a damp squib, as the link above appears to suggest.

The UK was always a big obstacle.

EDIT : except for a brief period under Blair. Then Iraq happened.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »

Yup.

The UK was always a big obstacle.

EDIT : except for a brief period under Blair. Then Iraq happened.

Of course - my point was the article you posted suggests by the nature of its dilution that the UK wasn't the only obstacle and it won't be plain sailing to federalism now we've left.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies