Donald Trump and Roy Moore
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:01:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Donald Trump and Roy Moore
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Donald Trump and Roy Moore  (Read 1399 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:29:06 PM »

There's something unusual about the way Donald Trump has treated Roy Moore. Trump never shies away from controversy, and yet, AFAIK, hasn't said or tweeted anything about the news in Alabama. Furthermore, Trump initially endorsed Strange over Moore, despite Moore seemingly being the more "Trumpist" candidate of the two, and very much in line with Trump's favorite guys like Joe Arpaio.

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is - what is the relationship between these two on a personal level? More specifically, did Trump know something beforehand that told him to keep Moore at arm's length, even if it wasn't anything specific that we know now?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:42:50 PM »

I remember reading an article saying that Trump didn't even know who Moore was, and was supporting Strange against Brooks because Brooks was critical of him during the primaries.
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:29:59 PM »

I think it's one of the cases where he actually just deferred to his aides who told him Moore was toxic.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 07:27:58 PM »

I keep saying that Trump knows more about politics than anyone else.  People keep telling me he's an incompetent idiot who's just lucky.  Yet Trump keeps winning, and keep avoiding pitfalls.

Trump DIDN'T go "all in" with Moore.  I didn't notice that until this thread, but it's true.  Trump knows something about "winners" and "losers" and he apparently saw Moore as a contagious loser. 

Think about it:  Donald Trump has avoided Roy Moore being toxic to his "brand". 
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:47:22 PM »

I keep saying that Trump knows more about politics than anyone else.  People keep telling me he's an incompetent idiot who's just lucky.  Yet Trump keeps winning, and keep avoiding pitfalls.

Trump DIDN'T go "all in" with Moore.  I didn't notice that until this thread, but it's true.  Trump knows something about "winners" and "losers" and he apparently saw Moore as a contagious loser. 

And yet he endorsed Strange, who lost

And couldn't even win the Popular Vote, and he can't heard Congress either.

...But if it floats your boat.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:55:42 PM »

There's something unusual about the way Donald Trump has treated Roy Moore. Trump never shies away from controversy, and yet, AFAIK, hasn't said or tweeted anything about the news in Alabama. Furthermore, Trump initially endorsed Strange over Moore, despite Moore seemingly being the more "Trumpist" candidate of the two, and very much in line with Trump's favorite guys like Joe Arpaio.

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is - what is the relationship between these two on a personal level? More specifically, did Trump know something beforehand that told him to keep Moore at arm's length, even if it wasn't anything specific that we know now?

The Trumpist candidate in the race was Mo Brooks. Moore is a soldier of the Cultural Right, not of Trumpism.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 07:56:21 PM »

And yet he endorsed Strange, who lost

And couldn't even win the Popular Vote, and he can't heard Congress either.

...But if it floats your boat.

"Winning" here involves how one plays one's hand.

Trump didn't have a dog in this particular hunt.  Strange was who he is.  Mo Brooks wasn't real Trump-friendly.  Moore's anti-establishment style obscured the fact that he's somewhat more like Ted Cruz than Trump, and his most fervent supporters are more likely to be Cruz supporters.  

This was a chance for Trump to endorse a sort-of incumbent and not lose face..  It's not going to be a big win, but it's definitely avoiding a loss.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:57:21 PM »

The Trumpist candidate in the race was Mo Brooks. Moore is a soldier of the Cultural Right, not of Trumpism.

Mo Brooks is so Trumpist that he endorsed Cruz and bashed Trump during the primary.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:27 PM »

Mo Brooks is so Trumpist that he endorsed Cruz and bashed Trump during the primary.

That's why Trump didn't really have a dog in this hunt.

Brooks was a "Freedom Caucus" type, and Trump is leery of them.

Moore has always had a following; he didn't need Trump, and he had the regular churchgoer vote, which was Cruz's best demographic.

Strange was the weakest candidate in the race, despite being the incumbent.  I'm sure Trump endorsed him because he could dominate Strange, moreso than the others.

Ye We Can
Mumph

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 10:04:10 PM »

Trump has kept most evangelicals at arms length throughout his recent political life anyway.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:26:09 PM »

No he wasn't? Mo Brooks is a Ted Cruz type..
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 11:01:34 PM »

No he wasn't? Mo Brooks is a Ted Cruz type..
Roy Moore is also a Ted Cruz type.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »

Trump is not as dumb as you people think. Somebody almost certainly told him Moore had previously unknown skeletons in the closet, and perhaps even their nature, long before the allegations broke. Trump endorsed Strange to get a couple of free favors from McConnell, knowing he couldn't lose either way.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 12:44:36 PM »

Trump is not as dumb as you people think. Somebody almost certainly told him Moore had previously unknown skeletons in the closet, and perhaps even their nature, long before the allegations broke. Trump endorsed Strange to get a couple of free favors from McConnell, knowing he couldn't lose either way.

Ehh, I just think he thought Strange would win (as did most people) and wanted to pick the winner.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 12:52:48 PM »

Trump knows he needs every vote he can get for his agenda, so having someone like Moore in the senate doesn't help. Meanwhile Strange has openly embraced him, unlike Corker or Flake who've attacked him pretty harshly over the past few months.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 12:57:32 PM »

Trump just heard someone say "Big Luther" and thought it would be more fun to Tweet.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 12:59:22 PM »

If that were true the Republicans would have used those skeletons to sink Moore in the primary
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:27 PM »

If that were true the Republicans would have used those skeletons to sink Moore in the primary

McConnell didn't know. Bannon didn't know either. Being President comes with its perks.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 01:05:42 PM »
« Edited: November 15, 2017, 01:08:05 PM by tschandler »

As someone actually from Alabama this entire thread is hilarious.  I wasn't before this all broke/won't be voting for Moore for Dog catcher much less Senator.  Moore has his own little political personality cult in the state, religious in nature stemming from the Ten Commandments issue and his tenure as Chief Justice.  Like a Miniature Alabama Christian version of Trump actually.   Moore supporters (like Trumpists) are never the types you see at the GOP functions etc.  Moore straight up refused to come to a Young Republicans Memorial Day cookout we had.  And it is in Dekalb County, literally one county over from where he lives.  Strange was in Washington of course but most of the other candidates, the declared GOP governor candidates, Secretary of State Merrill were all there.  Moore didn't have a scheduling conflict, he just didn't want to come.  I know it gets threw around a lot but the guy really is close to Christian Taliban.  

Strange was Alabama's Attorney General when Sessions vacated his Senate seat.  He was appointed by the soon to resign Governor Bentley.  I believe Moore ran partially to keep Strange from facing any "real" competition.  Mo Brooks is your fairly generic country club Republican and would be a good choice.  But there were multiple candidates.   So a small plurality got Moore into the run off with Strange.  At that point the choice was between corrupt and crazy.  

If I go vote December 12th it likely be for Ron Bishop the declared Libertarian write in candidate.   This is a very winnable seat for the Democrats though.  But the problem is Doug Jones.  He could do/say/promise things to get someone like me to vote for him.  But I have no confidence in him not being a pawn of Chuck Schumer.  So I may sit this one out anyway.
tschandler
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 01:06:58 PM »

Moore is such a loaded political figure the skeletons are extras on The Walking Dead.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 01:17:36 PM »

If Moore does lose, I'm sure Trump will talk about how Strange could have won.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 01:31:51 PM »

If Moore does lose, I'm sure Trump will talk about how Strange could have won.

I mean, why wouldn't he?  President Trump backed the better candidate who absolutely, no question, would have won.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 03:21:06 PM »

I don't see what Trump has to gain by leaving Moore to twist in the wind: irrespective of any personal shortcomings, Moore would be Trump's strongest ally in the Senate. That's all that matters.

Trump should just fly to Alabama for yet another runway campaign stop and embrace Roy Moore while he's there. With Trump's visible support, Moore will win by a much stronger margin than what the polls are showing now and thereby frighten the GOP senate leadership from any attempt at his expulsion.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 03:23:12 PM »

I don't see what Trump has to gain by leaving Moore to twist in the wind: irrespective of any personal shortcomings, Moore would be Trump's strongest ally in the Senate. That's all that matters.

Trump should just fly to Alabama for yet another runway campaign stop and embrace Roy Moore while he's there. With Trump's visible support, Moore will win by a much stronger margin than what the polls are showing now and thereby frighten the GOP senate leadership from any attempt at his expulsion.

Moore is a loose cannon. Trump said one of the reasons he backed Strange was because he was an automatic yes vote on anything he wanted.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 03:28:25 PM »

Have you been living under a rock for the past year ?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies