Why didn't Charles Barkley ever run for office in Alabama?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:26:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Why didn't Charles Barkley ever run for office in Alabama?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why didn't Charles Barkley ever run for office in Alabama?  (Read 2688 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 04:27:31 PM »

The legendary NBA star and Hall of Famer Charles Barkley is very educated. He is an Auburn University graduate and one of the game's powerful power forwards. Controversial yes, but outspoken, he should have ran as an Independent or a centrist Democrat or something in Alabama.

He thought of running for Alabama governor in 2010 or 2014, but never followed up with it. I wonder why? The money that he gets as a TNT commentator, maybe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Barkley

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/10/27/brown.barkley/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/mar/08/charles-barkley-politics-republicans-democrats
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 04:40:38 PM »

1. African American
2. Democrat
3. Alabama

1+2+3 = DOA
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 04:48:51 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2017, 04:54:11 PM by Fmr. Acting Southern Del. The Saint »

Barkley is a Republican.

EDIT: I think you're right that he's an independent but he seems to lean slightly right.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »

Barkley is a Republican.

EDIT: I think you're right that he's an independent but he seems to lean slightly right.

Either way, there is no universe in which he's a Democrat.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 07:26:54 PM »

1. African American
2. Democrat
3. Alabama

1+2+3 = DOA

1+3= Lucky to be alive in that madhouse
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:25 PM »

Barkley is amazing. I’m not sure I want him to become politicized, though.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 08:04:49 PM »

It's a depressing reality that black people don't have much luck at the statewide level in Alabama. Terri Sewell got elected to the House from a very gerrymandered district.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »

Barkley is a Republican.

I don't think he's supported the GOP  since Iraq though.

Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:27:13 AM »

Barkley is a Republican.

Yes he has. In 2016, he supported Kasich for President (he subsequently went #NeverTrump after Kasich dropped out).
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »

Barkley is a Republican.

Yes he has. In 2016, he supported Kasich for President (he subsequently went #NeverTrump after Kasich dropped out).

That’s the only time I know of, at least since 2004, that he’s endorsed a candidate at all.

“The Republicans are full of it. The Democrats are a little less full of it." - Charles Barkley, circa 2007
“I'm serious. I've got to get people to realize that the government is full of it. Republicans and Democrats want to argue over stuff that's not important, like gay marriage or the war in Iraq or illegal immigration... When I run — if I run — we're going to talk about real issues like improving our schools, cleaning up our neighborhoods of drugs and crime and making Alabama a better place for all people.” - Charles Barkley, circa 2006
Babeuf

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 09:54:56 PM »

Because his current life is a lot more fun / financially rewarding than being a politician.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 02:22:41 PM »

He's too smart to be suckered into running for office.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 05:06:51 PM »

Barkley is a Republican.

That’s the only time I know of, at least since 2004, that he’s endorsed a candidate at all.

“The Republicans are full of it. The Democrats are a little less full of it." - Charles Barkley, circa 2007
“I'm serious. I've got to get people to realize that the government is full of it. Republicans and Democrats want to argue over stuff that's not important, like gay marriage or the war in Iraq or illegal immigration... When I run — if I run — we're going to talk about real issues like improving our schools, cleaning up our neighborhoods of drugs and crime and making Alabama a better place for all people.” - Charles Barkley, circa 2006

I'm sure he says a lot of "no-nonsense" stuff criticizing both, but still ... he said this, LOL:

"Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat." Barkley once said, "Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them."
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »

I don't think Barkley's brand of politics (as much as I can surmise his politics) fits in with Alabama.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 07:01:11 PM »

Barkley is a Republican.

I don't think he's supported the GOP  since Iraq though.

I'm sure he says a lot of "no-nonsense" stuff criticizing both, but still ... he said this, LOL:

"Well, when I went off to college, the guys I used to hang with were pumping gas and voting Democrat." Barkley once said, "Today they're still pumping gas and voting Democrat. Guess the Democrats didn't do much for them."

I hate that ' both sides are equally bad' reasoning. That is Wulfric level stuff there.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 03:02:31 AM »

Barkley is a Republican.

I don't think he's supported the GOP  since Iraq though.

I hate that ' both sides are equally bad' reasoning. That is Wulfric level stuff there.

So don’t criticize the right and the left, because one has no legitimate criticism?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies