Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:38:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Which option would you play?
Robert's Rebellion (282 AL)

First Triumvirate (53 BC)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (796 UC)

"Balance of Power" Style Game (1840-1890)

Napoleonic Wars (1803)*

The Punic Wars (220-218 BC)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th  (Read 3980 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 14, 2017, 11:20:47 PM »
« edited: December 03, 2017, 05:34:22 PM by Lumine »

Hello!

As you know, Spamage's magistral Concert of Europe is ending soon, leaving a spot open for a major game in the forum. While the past few games I've hosted have been interesting they have failed to reach a satisfactory ending, and I feel past players are owed a game to which I devote full effort and zeal.

This cannot happen until at least one more month, as my thesis will be finished by then and I'll have some weeks of spare time. In the meantime, I'd like to lay the groundwork for a game and, more importantly, see just how interested people would be in playing some of these games on December. I know some of the options I've added are long shots, but they interest me and who knows, they might appeal to people as well.

My current thoughts are:

Robert's Rebellion (282 AL): The next ASOIAF Game, this time going away from the Book-Show timeline and into a familiar past. The game would pit Targaryen loyalists and rebels against each other once the war has begun, but before houses like the Tullys, Greyjoys and Lannister join (and they would become available later on), and it would follow the model we've seen so far, with some modification.

First Triumvirate (53 BC): A Roman game, given that I am an enthusiast of Roman History. The game is set on 53 BC, right before the fateful expedition of Crassus to Parthia which broke the balance of Roman politics. Players get to play prominent Senators and Kings (Caesar, Pompey, Crassus, Cato, Cicero, Clodius, Ptolemy XII, Vercingetorix, etc) and vie for political and military supremacy as they control their own factions, armies and followers. This can be extended to other periods of Roman history just as long as there's interest.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (796 UC)Sad This one is based on a great (if obscure) Anime space opera, pitting key characters of the Free Planets Alliance, the Galactic Empire and Phezzan at the start of the series. I would be incredibly enthusiastic about this, but since few people have seen LOGH I understand if there is no player base for this.

"Balance of Power" Style Game (1840-1890): A return to my games such as BoP I and II and Swords of Damocles, placing ourselves at some determined point in the late XIX Century and the age of Imperialism as powers struggle for supremacy and colonies (starting points could be 1848, 1861, 1870 and 1889). On the other hand, Spamage just hosted an historical game of this sort, so there could be fatigue for this.

Napoleonic Wars (1803): This one is of course too close to Spamage's game, but I fully intend to host a Napoleonic game one day and hopefully turn it into my magnum opus.

If anyone has suggestions I'll be happy to hear them, but this is what I'd like to host next December. Thoughts?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

You know, just the other day I was thinking a Roman Republic game could work really well. I was assuming the 1st Punic War would be the time, but I see you would have players as persons more than states. Do you think there would be enough to do in a game like this? There have been problems in some past games with less military inclined players getting shut out once the focus shifts over to war.

Even though it won't happen for the reasons you described, a LOGH game would be amazing. I'd be interested to know more details. When would you start it? Assuming you're starting in the era of the show, it makes a big difference if you'd start with, say, Reinhard as Kaiser or Yang as merely General Staff Officer. Also, who would people play as? I could see Reinhard, Yang, the Kaiser, and I guess Trunicht being characters...but who else did you have in mind?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2017, 11:43:20 AM by Lumine »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Interesting, I hadn't considered an earlier time frame. The reason why I wanted to see players as some key individuals was to promote intrigue and political manuevering so it wouldn't be all war, to show the issues with the balance of power inside Rome (so that no matter how brilliant a player was in war, he would need to be good at intrigue or diplomacy to really succeed). Going by your suggestion, I would then feel confident to suggest the Second Punic War as an interesting time frame given the info we have and interesting monarchs in Egypt, Macedon and the Seleucid Empire.

The scenario would look as follows:

The Punic Wars (220 or 218 BC)Sad

Republic of Rome:
-At least two players to showcase the different political factions, with, for example, the Scipionic family, the Fabians, the Claudians and so on. This to show how Rome is not a united entity.
Republic of Carthage:
-Two players, one representing Hannibal and the Barcids in Hispania (with so much power they're semi autonomous) and the other Hanno the Great and the government of Carthage itself, to also show the division of power inside Carthage
The Successor States:
-Four players as the main successor states in the east: Philip V of Macedon, Ptolemy IV of Egypt, Antiochus III of the Seleucid Empire, and Attalus I of Pergamon.
Others:
-If for some reason there were more interested players, then we can open minor states such as the Achaean and Aetolian Leagues, Siracuse, Numidia, Bithynia, Pontus, etc.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I considered a suitable starting point and came to the conclusion that anything later than Season 1 is probably not a good idea given the sheer lack of balance between the Alliance and the Empire. On the other hand, Astarte doesn't give enough room as some key characters are still too unknown or not powerful enough.

So I settled on early 796 UC, right after Yang's victory at the Seventh Battle of Iserlohn. That way you get both a strong Empire and Alliance with issues of their own. The players I had in mind would be:

Empire:
-Fleet Admiral Reinhard von Lohengramm (commanding his own admiralty)
-Prince Otto von Braunschweig (as the head of his aristocratic political faction)
-Fleet Admiral Gregor von Mückenberger (as Chief Commander of the Space Fleet)
-Perhaps another noble (Lichtenlade) or prominent admiral

Alliance:
-Vice Admiral Yang Wen-Li (in control of his fleet)
-Defence Secretary Job Trunicht (as a political player)
-Fleet Admiral Sidney Sithole (as Joint Operations HQ Chief)
-Perhaps another politician (Edwards, Lebello, Windsor) or some of the more prominent admirals (Greenhill)

Phezzan:
-Obviously Rubinsky, he'd had to be the ultimate diplomatic and intrigue player.

The concept being that the war goes on (and there is no supreme player to control the Alliance and the Empire yet), and these characters are in a position to influence the war while dealing with internal issues and the struggle for power inside the Alliance and the Empire.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »

Just added "The Punic Wars" as an option, people who already voted should be able to also vote for it if they want (I already voted for it as I would certainly host that one).
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:57 AM »

"Balance of Power" Style Game. I don't think I'd be able to navigate in other universes.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »

Honestly I think there might be a fatigue for Balance of Powers game but if yes, count me in as France. Particularly as I would finally have time as it ils late december

And I would be interested in the other games as Assistant GM.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 01:08:42 PM »

Honestly I think there might be a fatigue for Balance of Powers game but if yes, count me in as France. Particularly as I would finally have time as it ils late december

Do you always have to play as France? I mean, it constantly pits us as enemies Tongue
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »

Do you always have to play as France? I mean, it constantly pits us as enemies Tongue
You prefer I play Russia lol?

Although to be honest I dont believe that at this time France and the Ottomans were enemies. I mean, France and the UK helped the Ottoman Empire to survive during the Crimean war Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 01:22:33 PM »

And I would be interested in the other games as Assistant GM.

That's the main concern about a BoP game, actually, fatigue after Spamage's game (which I can't top at the moment no matter what I do). Since it does have its fair share of votes the Roman would be my preferred choice to host at the moment, as it allows us to do something different and it's not necessarily just warfare.

I would ask the players interested in a BoP game to propose starting dates, though. I've toyed with 1848, 1861 (again), 1870 and 1889, but I want to hear your thoughts.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2017, 01:25:45 PM »

Although to be honest I dont believe that at this time France and the Ottomans were enemies. I mean, France and the UK helped the Ottoman Empire to survive during the Crimean war Smiley

Screw this, man. Lets just pick totally diffrent countries for once.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2017, 01:27:20 PM »

Lumine, you know I'm down for whatever you do. I would need a rundown of what this Galactic Hereos universe is, if that's the path we're going down.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2017, 01:39:26 PM »

After some PMs with Kalwejt,

Lumine, would it be possible for me to take Russia and Kalwejt France? Smiley
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:30 PM »

HE HASN'T EVEN DECIDED ON THE GAME YET, SLOW DOWN.

As I realize I didn't say, I voted for everything.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:45:28 PM »

HE HASN'T EVEN DECIDED ON THE GAME YET, SLOW DOWN.

As I realize I didn't say, I voted for everything.
Sorry lol
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 01:52:36 PM »

Lumine, you know I'm down for whatever you do. I would need a rundown of what this Galactic Hereos universe is, if that's the path we're going down.

Well, it's sort of long to explain (it's an Anime series with 110 episodes in the main story alone, and other 40-50 which expand the story), but the basic gist is this:

About 1,500 years from now on a large part of the galaxy is terraformed and ruled by two "interstellar states": the autocratc, german-style Galactic Empire (ruled by a cabal of corrupt nobles but with a rising number of commoner officers with a reformist mindset) and the democratic, multi-ethnic Free Planets Alliance (which has grown corrupt and stale, even with many still believing in democracy). Both the Empire and the Alliance have been at a bloody war for 150 years, involving star fleets of thousands of ships and millions of men fighting in corners of space. There's also a third state, the neutral Dominion of Phezzan (sort of a merchant city-state) which provides a link to the Empire and the Alliance, controls trade and trades valuable information.

As you can see, the Alliance and the Empire are separated by two corridors in space. One of them is the neutral Phezzan Corridor, and the one above is the Iserlohn Corridor, where the war takes place as either side attempts to control it to invade the enemy homeland. By the time the story takes place (and the game) both nations have weakened each other through constant war, and the balance of power (always favoring the Empire) has finally switched to the Alliance after the capture of a key fortress in the Iserlohn Corridor. At the same time, both countries face internal strife due to the resentment of the Alliance fleet against the corrupt Alliance politicians, and the bickering between the Imperial nobles and the rising reformist Admirals. The two main protagonists are the genius admirals of the Empire (Count Reinhard von Lohengramm) and the Alliance (Vice Admiral Yang Wenli), although at this moment in the story they have limited power and influence.

I can go on and on about this (this is a good summary of the context: https://myanimelist.net/featured/1378/The_Space_Opera_that_Gave_Rise_to_the_OVA), but that's the idea, players in Phezzan, the Empire and the Alliance influencing this war and seeking to achieve their own varied objectives.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 02:01:17 PM »

Haven't made my mind on whether I even want a BoP game, so please wait a bit on requesting countries. I'm not yet convinced there wouldn't be fatigue, and what starting point could it be.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 02:10:11 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 08:59:31 PM by Dereich »

LOGH is a GRAND show, very well-designed and intelligent, with the most nuanced and interesting arguments about democracy vs autocracy as governing systems I've seen on TV. It's a little slow to start, but its must-watch material for Atlas users.

Plus, its where Lumine's name came from. Don't y'all want to know where Lumine's name came from? Go watch it.

PS: Team Yang/FPA>>>>>>>>Team Empire
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »

Plus, its where Lumine's name came from. Don't y'all want to know where Lumine's name came from? Go watch it.

Oskar von Reuental >>>>>>>> The rest of the cast

There, I said it.

Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 02:25:06 PM »

Oskar von Reuental >>>>>>>> The rest of the cast

There, I said it.

Lies.
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 04:37:04 PM »

I'd be more than happy with any of them, but I'd really like  Balance of Power, the First Triumvirate, or the Punic Wars
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 05:42:49 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 07:27:10 PM by Lumine »

So far Balance of Power (III?) leads the First Triumvirate, so it's probably going to be one of those two so we have a decent-sized player base. I will be accepting proposals and suggestions for either game!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2017, 08:15:59 PM »

So far Balance of Power (III?) leads the First Triumvirate, so it's probably going to be one of those two so we have a decent-sized player base. I will be accepting proposals and suggestions for either game!

You could center it around the German unification?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »

I think a ~1825 could be a good start, unless you really want to avoid the whole thing with the Netherlands and Belgium.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2017, 09:05:32 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2017, 09:22:23 PM by Dereich »

If you were going to start the 19th century game before 1840, my suggestion would be immediately after the July Monarchy is established in July 1830. The Belgian Revolution would be an immediate issue for major players to deal with and a new (relatively) more liberal monarchy in France would be a good excuse for the shakeup in the Concert of Europe that putting Atlas users in charge of 19th century nations would immediately cause.

Otherwise, I like the 1840 start date. There would be a year or two of "good times" to get used to the game and the Concert before things really hit the fan with the famines and recessions of the mid-1840s that led to 1848. I'd think that any start time after 1830 would have to be more or less designed around the chaos of 1848; it'd be the elephant in the room that would either be the climax of the game or it would be what would shape the world we'd start in.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2017, 09:46:35 PM »

If you were going to start the 19th century game before 1840, my suggestion would be immediately after the July Monarchy is established in July 1830. The Belgian Revolution would be an immediate issue for major players to deal with and a new (relatively) more liberal monarchy in France would be a good excuse for the shakeup in the Concert of Europe that putting Atlas users in charge of 19th century nations would immediately cause.

Otherwise, I like the 1840 start date. There would be a year or two of "good times" to get used to the game and the Concert before things really hit the fan with the famines and recessions of the mid-1840s that led to 1848. I'd think that any start time after 1830 would have to be more or less designed around the chaos of 1848; it'd be the elephant in the room that would either be the climax of the game or it would be what would shape the world we'd start in.

Never been that much of a fan of that particular time period, so I'd have to do a lot of extra research. Perhaps 1840 would be doable, but I'm not sold on it.

Alternatively, I can remake Balance of Power II in the 1860's but done right. I was left unsatisfied by not expanding that game, and it is such a crucial decade as it lays the groundwork for Italian/German unifcation, sees the final conflict between Austria and Prussia, Napoleon III's attempts to hold onto power, the American Civil War and the list just goes on and on.

There's a lot of info, but I can remake BoP II's gameplay and combine it with elements of Concert of Europe to allow for an easier, yet detailed game. I could also begin in 1862 to allow for three crucial changes: the French intervention in Mexico is right at the start, the American Civil War is now consolidated, and Bismarck in power in Prussia.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies