Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Which option would you play?
Robert's Rebellion (282 AL)

First Triumvirate (53 BC)

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (796 UC)

"Balance of Power" Style Game (1840-1890)

Napoleonic Wars (1803)*

The Punic Wars (220-218 BC)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Alea Iacta Est: Start on December 11th  (Read 3979 times)
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:22 AM »

Lumine,
Why not start after the coup in France from Napoleon in 1852?
No italian unification, no crimea war yet etc etc.
1860 I believe was too late
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2017, 05:21:06 PM »

I'm not sure how relevant it is, but the problem I see with an 19th century game is one of player involvement. The closer you get to the modern day, the more the map expands: in the 1860s you start factoring in the United States, Japan, China, and maybe the CSA or another New World nation. From several games worth of experience (IE the Wildlings, Portugal, Japan, the last 1860s game) it gets very very boring and frustrating to play a state which only interacts regularly with one or two other players and whose involvement in the "main action" is minimal. A lot is put on the players of those states to stay invested and to independently act (as opposed to just reacting) to stay involved in the main part of the game.

Take the US Civil War in an 1860 game. If either the US/CSA player drops out or is highly inactive, there's only so much you can do. And once the war is over, the ability of the USA/CSA to interfere in the "main action" in Europe is minimal due to size, transportation difficulty, and popularity issues. Similarly, a Japan player might feasibly interact regularly with the British and maybe the Russians, but unless things veer WILDLY ahistorical that's it. To stay involved, non-European countries have to be played by creative and active players, something that I see being a serious problem...because once players get bored they start dropping out, and from there games seem to stagnate and die.

I don't really have a suggestion or anything for this; I'm not sure what could be done. It's just the problem I've seen before and worry that this is the sort of game where it'd come up.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2017, 07:10:07 AM »

Dereich,
Maybe Japan etc could remain "NPC" if that is a problem?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2017, 10:39:45 PM »

Voting is closed, and the strongest choices are Balance of Power and the First Triumvirate (which I might rename to Alea Jacta Est). Once I'm available (after December 11th or so) I'll be hosting the Roman game first because I want to do something a bit simpler and different, and because I'm interesting in new game dynamics to test. Then a Balance of Power sequel will come, after the Roman game is finished.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2017, 11:59:46 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2017, 04:22:31 PM by Lumine »

ALEA IACTA EST:
A Roman Republic Game:
By Lumine

Synopsis: The year is 53 BC. For six years the unlikely alliance of Caesar, Pompey and Crassus has dominated Roman politics through their enormous influence among the Senate, Knights and the people, leaving moderates like Cicero, outcasts like Clodius and the aristocratic faction of Cato isolated as the "Triumvirs" continue their uneasy pact. While Pompey remains in Rome grieving the death of his wife Julia and looking closely at the politics inside the city, Caesar is on the fifth year of his wars in Gaul fighting Ambiorix and the Belgian Tribes, and Crassus trains his armies in Syria while preparing his invasion of Parthia. Not only prominent Senators, but even foreign Kings plot around the struggle for power inside Rome as the Republic seemingly reigns supreme across the Mediterranean. But as the struggle turns violent once again... how much will the political balance shift?

Players:

Note: This is a tentative list of players, I may remove or add historical characters as needed. People may already claim a particular figure so they have time for research, to get in character and to prepare. Thankfully this timeframe is along the more known of Roman History, so I would hope finding info won't be too hard. I'm always willing to help out!

Caesar: You know him. Gaius Julius Caesar, proconsul of Cisalpine Gaul, popular and scandalous politician and a stellar general who has been leading a controversial (and widely popular) war across Gaul for years, having defeated several tribes. Caesar stands on the verge of conquering Gaul for good, but the loss of his daughter has severed his ties to Pompey and his enemies wait for any excuse to force him to stand trial for treason. Can Caesar finish the conquest and return to the adoring crowds in Rome safely? (GoTfan)

Pompey: Still the greatest general in Rome (although Caesar threatens his prestige) Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus, the Great, has defeated countless enemies in the form of  Sertorius, the Pirates, Mithridates and Tigranes. Constantly undermined by the aristocracy Pompey has been forced into the Triumvirate over the past few years despite his rivalry with Crassus, but with his beloved wife Julia's death and Caesar's rising popularity his political goals might change. Ruling Spain from the distance, owning half of Umbria and still wielding significant popularity and influence, can Pompey cement himself as the true most powerful Roman?

Crassus: The one and only, Marcus Licinius Crassus, richest man in Rome and immensely powerful amongst the knights and the businessmen. One of the more prominent men in the "popular party" besides Caesar, all that's missing for the ageing Crassus (with a very promising heir on his younger son Publius) is a military triumph to outshine Pompey and Caesar. Now Governor of Syria due to the Triumvirate, Crassus prepares for an ambitious campaign against the Parthian Empire despite some significant political opposition. Should Crassus succeed on this undertaking his fame and wealth would multiply to levels never seen before, but can he pull off such a risky campaign? (LouisvilleThunder)

Cato: Unyielding and stubborn, Marcius Porcius Cato the Younger serves as the leader, philosopher and moral backbone of the more aristocratic faction, the Optimates. Fanatically opposed to Caesar and an enemy of the Triumvirate Cato has fought battle after battle in the Senate to keep Roman tradition alive and safe, while doing his best to fight again corruption and what he percieves as moral decay. Not a battlefield commander, Cato is nonetheless a highly skilled orator and still a young senator and former praetor, still having the consulship ahead of him should he managed to seize it. Can Cato break the power of the Triumvirate? (Dereich)

Clodius: Unusually eccentric, passionate and a populist to boot, Publius Clodius Pulcher belongs to one of the oldest aristocratic families in Rome, but has fully embraced the popular cause as an almost revolutionary tribune. Hugely popular with the lower classes and owning a personal army of street gangs Clodius continues his meteoric rise in politics and keeps a close watch on his personal enemies, fighting the opposite street gangs of Milo (another powerful senator) and harboring a deep loathing of Cicero. Known as "King of the Streets", can Clodius turn his populist appeal into a political machine? (Kingpoleon)

Cicero: Prolific writer and almost unparalled orator, Marcus Tullius Cicero has made his career as a political animal, defending high profile cases at famous trials, saving the Republic from Catiline in an energic and highly controversial performance, and surviving the hostility of Clodius (for personal reasons). Despite having been silenced by some time by the Triumvirs, Cicero retains his inmense rhetorical skill and great sway of dozens of moderate and some conservative Senators, making him a force to be reckoned if he was to relaunch his political career. Can he? (YPestis)

Vercingetorix: Young Vercingetorix, Prince of the Gallic Arverni tribe has watched the campaigns of Caesar with great dismay, seeing tribe after tribe smashed after fighting in division, with the latest revolt by Ambiorix not having recieved support from those outside the Belgian tribes. Charismatic, daring and posessing a keen military mind, Vercingetorix dreams of a day in which Gaul unites to fight back against their brilliant conqueror. Is Vercingetorix brilliant enough to bring down Julius Caesar and the Romans? (Windjammer)

Ptolemy XII: The life of old Ptolemy XII Auletes, Pharaoh of Egypt, has not been an easy one. Disliked by his people, briefly overthrown by his own daughter (whom Ptolemy executed afterwards) and constantly having to bribe his way into Rome to keep his throne, Ptolemy has watched the power and might of Egypt slowly slip away. Now into his old age and with his potential heirs loathing each other, Egypt seems ripe for civil conflict as Rome watches carefully. And yet, Egypt is still technically a wealthy Kingdom (even if it's wealth is not solely controlled by Ptolemy). Can the Ptolemaic Dynasty bounce back? (Dkrol)

Artavasdes and Pharnaces: Sons of two of Rome's greatest enemies (Tigranes of Armenia and Mithridates of Pontus), King Artavasdes II of Armenia and King Pharnaces II of the Bosporan Kingdom stand in an awkward situation. Both are technically allies of Rome, yet they also have ample reason to be their rivals given its power. On the other hand, if Pharnaces overplays his hand he could easily lose his Kingdom and his life, whereas Artavasdes has the rather serious problem of contending with the Parthians in the East. Could Artavasdes or Pharnaces restore the fallen Empires of their fathers?

Orodes: The Great King of the rising Parthian Empire, Orodes II has just seen his older brother Mithridates III of Parthia defeated and executed, ending a bloody struggle for power over the Parthian throne. Despite the power and wealth of Parthia and its potential to recreate the old Persian Empire, Orodes watches with unease as Crassus and the Roman legions pile up in Syria, in what could be the beginning of a difficult war as Parthia is yet to heal his wounds. Can Orodes defeat the Roman threat and bring Parthia to new heights?
YPestis25

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -6.09

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2017, 12:59:30 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2017, 01:01:34 AM by YPestis25 »

Could I take Cicero? He's one of my personal heroes.

Super excited for this to start!
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2017, 02:08:03 AM »

I would like to claim Clodius... I have an idea.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2017, 04:38:56 AM »

I think I'd like to try my hand at Ptolemy XII.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:05 AM »

I will take Vercingetorix!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2017, 08:14:48 AM »

I think I'd like to try my hand at Ptolemy XII.

I would like to claim Clodius... I have an idea.

Could I take Cicero? He's one of my personal heroes.

Super excited for this to start!

Welcome all! You may begin preparing your characters, they are now reserved. I'll be working on the specific rules when I have time, and as some heads up (and to give the game ending points) every player will be given a secret goal of their own. Should a player complete that goal first he/she wins the game itself, at which point we'll probably decide with the player base if the game has enough momentum to carry on.
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »

I'll take Cato the Younger.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2017, 06:10:54 PM »

Excellent! Once Caesar, Pompey and Crassus are taken we'd have a full roster necessary for the game.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2017, 06:51:46 PM »

Excellent! Once Caesar, Pompey and Crassus are taken we'd have a full roster necessary for the game.
Hahahahaha, I honestly find that funny that no one wants to play the 3 most powerful persons at this time!
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2017, 10:35:28 PM »

May I take Caesar?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 03:29:16 PM »

Of course!
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 12:50:42 PM »

Can I have Crassus?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 04:22:11 PM »

Absolutely!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2017, 06:45:38 PM »

Lumine,
After your game with Rome, wouldn't it be great to make Concert of Power 2.0 please?

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 07:15:45 PM »

Lumine,
After your game with Rome, wouldn't it be great to make Concert of Power 2.0 please?

Concert of Power belongs to Spamage, Windjammer, I wouldn't dare usurp his concept.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2017, 10:27:55 PM »

Pompey is the only one left, correct?
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 10:58:29 PM »

I think something is open...

I'd be interested in this, not ignorant of the time frame and eager to learn more Smiley
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2017, 06:18:22 PM »

The only main one, if you take it I'll open slots for some less prominent characters.

I think something is open...

I'd be interested in this, not ignorant of the time frame and eager to learn more Smiley

Great!

If Kingpoleon takes Pompey I can offer you Orodes of Parthia or another prominent Roman Senator.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »

Knowing too little about the period I can;t participate, but have fun, everybody.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 05:34:52 PM »

This game starts on about a week, on December 11th.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 10:13:08 PM »

Oh, no. I was just asking. I really want Clodius because he seems well-placed.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies